Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Rent

>

tctrojan

Rent
Old 04-23-2020, 01:53 PM

I read an article today about a college students continuing to have to pay rent even if they have returned home. I honestly see both sides of the issue. To me, this is one of the hard calls. Some landlords depend on those payments to make their own mortgage payments. Taxes and insurance continue to be due. I feel bad for the students who cannot live there, or have lost their jobs.

tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 04-23-2020, 02:11 PM

I know a couple students who still had to pay dorm fees after they were forced to leave.

I understand the landlords need to pay mortgages. But for the college to bill them is so wrong imo
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 04-23-2020, 02:21 PM

An apartment lease is a contract. If you think extraordinary circumstances should make that contract null and void, think what that might mean to some of the union contracts for teachers.

I see both sides too. Renters aren't the only people with financial trouble. Property owners are feeling pain too. Think of all the resort town rentals that will go empty this summer. That's someone's livelihood too.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote

hikinghiker

I'd say I'm pretty fiscally conservation
Old 04-23-2020, 02:21 PM

but I really wish the government could declare a rent and mortgage freeze nation wide. Students wouldn't have to pay rent and landlords wouldn't have to pay their mortgage. It can be like the entire month just didn't count. I'm sure there's a hundred reasons why this wouldn't work out, but man would that be helpful to a huge portion of the population.
hikinghiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Room and board
Old 04-23-2020, 02:34 PM

My brother works at a university and their university refunded room and board to all students (I'm sure it was prorated, since they were there for half the 2nd semester).

As for off campus housing, I think it's fair game to have them continue to pay. It would be nice if they didn't (if they went home), but the apartment/landlord depends on that money, too.

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 04-23-2020, 03:00 PM

Tough times for everyone unfortunately. I do like the rent and mortgage freeze idea however the banking industry would never allow it. I'd be surprised to see it happen. We are helping my son with his house payment right now .This is his first home and we know he will bounce back after the crisis is over. Best of luck to all renters.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Ripple effect
Old 04-23-2020, 03:38 PM

It's such a difficult time for so many people that I see the appeal of a rent/mortgage moratorium. But ...how is the landlord going to pay bills? In the case of college room and board, I believe that students are getting refunds.

Off campus apartments, the lease would govern what rent is due. I remember our son paying rent through a summer while he was home, but the lease was a calendar year.

And if the large mortgage holders aren't paid, that affects our pension funds.

Maybe something can be worked out to have a mortgage payment skipped now incur no late fee, but extend the length of the mortgage.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmom

Rent
Old 04-23-2020, 03:55 PM

Yes, I am paying $1000 a month for my DS apartment at college....while he is back at "mom's B&B" He was helping pay because he had an on campus job. Obviously he is not working while at home so the whole amount is on me. I understand they have bills to pay too, so I try not to get too worked up. But it does sting to keep sending that check.
ajmom is offline   Reply With Quote