The VENT

I'm trying...

>

3rdgradequeen

I'm trying...
Old 05-11-2020, 04:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I know we all have stories...

I teach 5th graders. In the classroom they were not very motivated and very sassy. So, you can imagine how DL is going...week 8 by the way.

Every week I email parents a summary of the previous week's work their child did as well as a preview of the next week. I always start my emails asking if they need anything and ell them I'm here to support them. I also send the kids emails and videos explaining the slides and read alouds.

Crickets. No one asks me anything. Week after week, very little work is completed. 4 out of 16 turn their work in. 3/16 do nothing. Everyone else does something in between.

Today my teaching partner was texted by a family we share. The parent asked when small groups would be starting and if they could find out how their child is doing. Why couldn't he just email me, rather than the other teacher???

I called parent. I told him about the emails I've sent (to the correct email address) and that I've been doing groups for 2 weeks, but his child doesn't come to the Zoom meeting. He asked for extra work for his child. I said she needs to complete the expected work first. I told him that families could really help me out if they took a few minutes a couple times a week to check their Google Slides for completeness. I also said it is important kids come to Zoom for lessons. He said ok.

Child emailed to ask for Zoom info. (That I sent last night.) She did not come to Zoom.

3 hours later, mom emailed and asked if we could talk about what she could do to help her child complete work. I emailed to ask when? No response. 2 hours later, dad texted me.

I feel done...I want to tell them to read their emails, communicate with each other, check their kids work, and make the kid accountable before letting her have her phone. But I don't.

I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks...

3rdgradequeen is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 05-11-2020, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I feel like everyone wants engraved invitations and individual emails/phone calls rather than just checking what was sent out. At this point I would be telling them the information is in the email I sent.

Also, someone on here said that they don't respond right away and parents email back that they found it. I've started doing that with my mom and tech issues and it's working. Perhaps if you wait to respond, they'll go back and check emails and find it on their own.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

3rdgradequeen

Old 05-11-2020, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

That is one good idea. I usually respond immediately since I get very few emails a day.
3rdgradequeen is offline   Reply With Quote

readandweep

Parents
Old 05-12-2020, 03:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I feel you.

I have parents that complain they can't get the iPad to work.

I have sent out setup sheets, setup videos and my administration is available to help in person several times a week.

One parent still complains that she can't get the iPad to work. I have contact with her at least once a week (required, if they don't respond someone goes to the house).

Still "can't get it to work."
readandweep is offline   Reply With Quote

2teach2

Ugh!
Old 05-12-2020, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I was coming on here to vent about the same thing!!! I'm getting no response, no even a 'thumbs up' to the Remind messages I send or emails I send. Today I sent out a Remind about my Zoom Office Hour tomorrow, and right underneath a parent asked me "How can Johnny get help on his homework?" Um, look at the text above, parent!

2teach2 is offline   Reply With Quote