New alarms raised as California coronavirus hospitalizations jump 32% in two weeks - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

New alarms raised as California coronavirus hospitalizations jump 32% in two weeks

>

amiga13

New alarms raised as California coronavirus hospitalizations jump 32% in two weeks
Old 06-25-2020, 03:22 PM

Maybe we need to listen. From the LA Times, a newspaper I trust.
Quote:
Gov. Gavin Newsom said the number of people hospitalized from COVID-19 in California has grown 32% in the last two weeks.
SACRAMENTO — Gov. Gavin Newsom issued another warning to Californians about the growing spread of the coronavirus as the state again reported increases in hospitalizations.
The governor’s Thursday news conference marked the third time this week that he has urged people to take more precautions as he disclosed troubling new highs.
“I cannot impress upon people more the importance at this critical juncture, when we are experiencing an increase in cases that we have not experienced in the past, to take seriously this moment,” Newsom said. “If we do, we can mitigate and we can bend [the curve] and we ultimately can rebound and become more resilient still in the future.”
As of Thursday, Newsom said patients hospitalized because of COVID-19 jumped 32% in the last two weeks to 4,240, double the two-week increase of 16% that he had reported on Monday. After growing earlier this week, the rate of positive cases remained steady at 5.1% over two weeks compared to Wednesday, he said.
The governor has pleaded with Californians to wear face masks and maintain a physical distance of six feet from one another. He advised those over the age of 65 or with chronic medical conditions to remain at home.
But beyond telling Californians to heed the state’s mask requirement, the governor has not reinstated any of the restrictions he began easing in early May or demanded that counties experiencing surges shutter businesses again. Fifteen counties in California, including Los Angeles, have reported an elevated transmission of the disease, increased hospitalizations or a limited hospital capacity that doesn't meet the state’s guidelines.
Newsom said Thursday that he would consider toggling back and issuing restrictions again if healthcare needs begin to exceed capacity.
“When our system cannot absorb, when there’s a capacity consideration or limitation, that’s when we obviously have alarm bells that are raised,” he said.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 06-25-2020, 03:27 PM

This is accurate
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

tctrojan

Iowa cases
Old 06-25-2020, 03:28 PM

Have really spiked among 20-25 year olds. The bars have reopened. No masks or social distancing for the most part.
tctrojan is online now   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 06-25-2020, 03:33 PM

Weíre in the same boat over here in Texas. Our governor thinks ďpausingĒ any more reopening is enough.
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-25-2020, 03:38 PM

I'm seeing more people wearing masks but no enforcement of the mask requirement posted on store windows. Very few stores enforce masks. This cluster mess will no doubt be catastrophic in the fall and winter months.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Spike
Old 06-25-2020, 03:38 PM

WV has seen an increase due to churches reopening and people returning from Myrtle Beach.
maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 06-25-2020, 03:40 PM

NM just announced we are staying in phase 1 due to rising numbers, although numbers arenít as high as CA increase. I support it.
kahluablast is online now   Reply With Quote

GHVFAN

Numbers
Old 06-25-2020, 03:45 PM

The numbers in my area of SW GA are still rising, and unfortunately so is the death rate. So many are acting as if the pandemic is completely over.
GHVFAN is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 06-25-2020, 04:17 PM

That is sadly true MalloryJames I heard from someone who is a dr in Calif that some smaller areas that have few hospital beds are having to send patients out of the county to find a place in ICU.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

bison06

Old 06-25-2020, 04:24 PM

Iím in Texas. I was exposed Tuesday night, I found out last night. I will go get tested on Saturday, to allow for an incubation period. I donít think the person I was with (Bible Study type setting) has exhibited any symptoms.

I felt like I was being careful. I know people that are out and about A LOT more than I am, but they havenít knowingly been exposed.

Since I was being careful, thankfully I didnít expose anyone else (other than my immediate family) in the 24 hours that I didnít know I had been exposed. Now Iím distancing from my family until I test.

Tarant County (Fort Worth - not where I live) has put a mask requirement in effect starting tomorrow. I know my rural-ish county wonít do that. But I wonít go to any event that masks arenít required for going forward... Until school starts back.

bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

rachelmpd

Sad
Old 06-25-2020, 04:28 PM

Yes, it is very sad that people canít wear a mask, a local FB group posted how a U-Pick farm was requiring masks for anyone over 2 (what the Governor mandated, but guess he canít enforce?). People are up in arms about it saying it reduces the Oxygen in kids etc. A nurse came on and said it was pointless because kids would play with it. For most of the 5 and Under crowd, she is probably right, they will play with it and touch it (as do a lot of adults).i would think that despite playing it would still help a bit in preventing particles from getting out. Gabriel occasionally wears it, but it is hard. I am expecting a Frozen mask, we will see if that helps.
rachelmpd is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Covid Cases
Old 06-25-2020, 04:31 PM

Those CA statistics are scary. I am grateful to be in MD where our numbers are declining. Governor Hogan has been cautious and slow about reopening, and most people wear masks.

I'm sorry, Bison06 and am sending you healing thoughts.

Last edited by travelingfar; 06-26-2020 at 09:15 AM..
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 06-25-2020, 04:32 PM

I’m in NJ. We went through he— here. We are just coming out of it. This is no time to think it’s ok to go out like it used to be. When I leave the house I make sure I have a mask and hand sanitizer. If you live in an area that has increasing cases, stay home. It’s not fun, but neither is getting sick. I have a 21 year old son. It was not easy telling him he can’t go out with his friends, but he didn’t. Stay safe.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

COVID surge
Old 06-25-2020, 04:49 PM

I'm not surprised. In May my SoCal county decided masks were no longer required, only recommended, just as things started opening up. Now the county supervisors act surprised and concerned at the rising infection numbers. What exactly did they think would happen when they previously decided masks were optional!? I'm glad Governor Newsom FINALLY issued a mask mandate. But I still don't see it being enforced.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-25-2020, 04:53 PM

We were doing so well but when we began to open people acted like the virus never existed. Iím really concerned about the spread in restaurants. Should have opened only the patios.

Amiga do you think we will shut down again ?
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 06-25-2020, 05:17 PM

We were doing really good with lower cases here in Wisconsin, but the past two days has seen increases. My observation is that people are acting like it is over and more are not wearing masks than are. DH and I are still sticking pretty close to home. We do go out and about in a limited capacity but wear our masks, keep a distance and hand wash as much as possible.
Cat woman is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-25-2020, 05:23 PM

The question is where are we at in terms of hospital capacity. In my town, we are only at about 10% of our capacity.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-25-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoma
Amiga do you think we will shut down again ?
I donít know. Personally I would rather shut it down if it will make the partiers and Ďfreethinkersí take this pandemic seriously. I am so tired of people, and there are several right here on PT, who refuse to believe CDC findings/recommendations and who do believe caution doesnít apply to them.
ďI just want to see my friends.Ē
ďItís for my mental health.Ē
ďI need to...Ē
ďI, I, I.Ē

Sometimes we need to think about the greater good. Sometimes we need to think about other people.

anna

Old 06-25-2020, 05:32 PM

I agree amiga13 . It is time for the stay home mandate . Shut it down.

teachnkids

Old 06-25-2020, 06:12 PM

I think the numbers in NC are worse than when we closed everything. It's awful!

It's going to happen in every state as they open up. We're never going to get a handle on this if people don't wear the mask and social distance.

NY, NJ, and CT are now requiring "high case" states to quarantine for 14 days. We were about 200 cases more than NY yesterday. Hardly a major difference. Not bragging on NC #s, but I think it's horrible that they are doing this. They sure didn't like when other states, RI is one, were saying they couldn't come during their overwhelmingly higher numbers
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

Katluv

Iím in WA...
Old 06-25-2020, 06:59 PM

We are stuck in phase 1. Our cases are gradually going down but most places are still closed. Although Iím ready to ďgo outĒ, Iíd hate for us to be in that situation. I bet we donít move to phase 2 until at least August.
Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Good point
Old 06-25-2020, 07:08 PM

Good point, Sbkangas5. Itís like people forget that the point of lockdown was to fortify the hospitals. If the medical system can manage, there shouldnít be a lockdown.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 06-25-2020, 07:21 PM

The key to beating the virus is to get ahead of it. Lock down early and enforce the masks and distancing. Don't play around and then lockdown when it looks bad. It's too late by then.

PoohBear

Old 06-25-2020, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Itís like people forget that the point of lockdown was to fortify the hospitals. If the medical system can manage, there shouldnít be a lockdown.
There are medical systems that are being overwhelmed again. Texas Medical Center is the largest hospital in the world. It currently has 100% of it's ICU room occupied and is turning regular rooms into ICUs. Not all those rooms are being used by people with COVID but enough are to cause a strain on the system.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...y-15363724.php

And as I said in my last post, some hospitals in California are having to send their patients out of the county because they are out of ICU beds. Maybe your area is currently doing ok but if no one follows the mask/distance guidelines it's not likely to stay that way.
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 06-25-2020, 10:06 PM

Quote:
It is time for the stay home mandate . Shut it down.
But our economy is already in the toilet. What will happen if we shut it down again? My family will be lucky to be able to pay all of our bills this month, and we are in a much better place than many, many other people.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-26-2020, 12:27 AM

Quote:
The question is where are we at in terms of hospital capacity. In my town, we are only at about 10% of our capacity.
And that is the whole point of distancing, masks, and handwashing. To stay at that capacity.

Too many people are acting like it's "stay isolated" or "pretend there's no such thing as covid." There's also "take reasonable precautions and wear a **** mask so that we can participate in some activities."

My doctor friend in the LA area (Imperial county) said they're sending people out of the county because there's not enough capacity in county. Some as far away as Sacramento.

And just look at Texas, their response to shutdowns and masks and what's happening to them. The largest hospital in the world is out of ICU beds. Children's Hospital is taking on adult patients.

I'd argue that those who throw aroynd the argument "People forget the whole point of lockdown was to keep the medical system from being overwhelmed" are forgetting that the point of lockdown was to keep the medical system from being overwhelmed by preparing to open back up.

But since we have an incompetent narcissist for a president bolstered by power-hungry sycophants, here we are four months into a crisis with 4% of the world's population and 25% of its covid deaths and no actual plan to deal with that fact except ignore it and hope it goes away.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Increases...
Old 06-26-2020, 04:46 AM

They said last night 30 states showed increases. My state is one of the few that for now, is doing well. School guidelines for fall will be announced today.
NJ Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I am very concerned, because my DS and DD
Old 06-26-2020, 04:48 AM

are still living in CA. What is odd to me is that several people who work at my old gym (which reopened) have been whining and moaning since Day One about how COVID-19 is a giant plot to enslave us. They never seem to know who exactly is in charge of the giant plot, but one trainer in particular keeps posting conflicting statistics about EVERYTHING that the CDC puts out. She is getting them from somewhere and they appear to be very sophisticated.

First it was, "It's only old people who are dying, mostly in nursing homes, so why take OUR freedoms?" The latest explanation for the rising numbers in CA is that patients are being flown in from Mexico and dropped at California hospitals. I have no idea if this is true or not. She maintains that is the reason for the crisis in El Centro. She also said that, once those people are released (if they don't die), they have no way to return to Mexico.

At one point, she was all in a tizzy that the government was not using this opportunity to mandate that people EAT the right foods and get enough exercise. I feel like I hardly know her anymore and I used totally trust her input.

Plus, so many people have bought into the idea that increased testing is the problem. Seriously? I also suspect she is an anti-vaxxer.

Meanwhile, New York, which was the epicenter of death a few months ago, seems to be doing very well (Thank you, Governor Cuomo), but we have a lot of folks where I live openly defying the mask and social-distancing recommendations. Seems like the only thing some people remember from their high school history and government classes was the part about "Rugged Individualism." They think they are all brave cowboys and cowgirls, too strong to cave in to the fear of a virus.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-26-2020, 05:28 AM

To those thinking ďyourĒ hospitals are fine, please consider this:
Quote:
On May 1, Texas became one of the first states to begin easing restrictions and reopening its economy. Now, the second-most populous state in the country is seeing a "massive outbreak" in coronavirus cases, with over 50,000 active infections. In Houston, at least one hospital has already run out of ICU beds. And now, Gov. Greg Abbott (R) is putting the state's phased reopening on the backburner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromit
And that is the whole point of distancing, masks, and handwashing. To stay at that capacity.
Wise words, Gromit, thank you. As I intimated in my pushy post, this isnít about 1 family, itís about all of us. Iím terribly sorry for those who are struggling, but I am not feeling kindly toward those who refuse to consider the facts and to consider others.

I sure would like to see my DD.

googaleeebear

Old 06-26-2020, 08:41 AM

We should close down many places like restaurants and bars etc, but when a reporter asked Newsom that question on Wednesday, he said it's not a matter of closing, it's a matter of people taking care to be distant and wear the masks.
We are back to only going out for essential things. Fam and friends are physicians and they said this is the surge the medical field was anticipating in May. Safest thing to do is stay home.
googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Candiqueen

Old 06-26-2020, 01:27 PM

This is scary. Some people seem to have amnesia and think the pandemic is over. I donít understand why masks arenít just a given for everybody.
Candiqueen is offline   Reply With Quote