Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Public Fireworks in your area survey

>

Marriedin79

Public Fireworks in your area survey
Old 06-29-2020, 04:09 AM

1. Are there any displays that are going to take place?

2. If so, how different will it be from previous years?

3. Will you go to it?

Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Marriedin79

Survey says!
Old 06-29-2020, 04:12 AM

1. Are there any displays that are going to take place?

Every place that usually has a display on the fourth has cancelled. The dog racing track is going to have one ... first as far as I know.

2. If so, how different will it be from previous years?

Only 700 cars will be admitted. I think I read that the cars will be six feet apart. I donít know if people will be allowed to exit their cars or not.

3. Will you go to it?

No. We have other plans, but I probably would if we did not.
Marriedin79 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Fireworks
Old 06-29-2020, 04:22 AM

All fireworks were cancelled this year because of crowds...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

Old 06-29-2020, 04:32 AM

All fireworks have been cancelled in my area. We are going to the lake which is 2 hours away and there will be public sponsored fireworks over the water. There will not be any corresponding concerts, picnics or other events where people have traditionally gathered. Happy 4th of July!
MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 06-29-2020, 05:04 AM

All fireworks cancelled. Understandable in this time of crisis when crowds should not be gathering, but a little sad for me as I love being able to see 4 different fireworks displays from my windows and balcony on the 4th of July. Let’s hope I go back to being spoiled next year.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 06-29-2020, 05:16 AM

My townís fireworks are going off as planned. We send them off a Butte that is pretty centrally located and they can be seen from almost anywhere. There arenít usually crowds in one place. That said, Iíve heard that this is the only display within the state and the hotels have been hyping it up. Rumor is the hotels are expected to be at capacity this weekend. So Iím going grocery shopping today and will be avoiding going anywhere this weekend.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

Old 06-29-2020, 05:22 AM

1.Our city cancelled it big fireworks display and so have many of the surrounding towns.

2. $10.00 ticket will buy a ticket to see fireworks at the minor league baseball stadium. Programs on July 3,4 & 5.

3. No.

Legal to buy fireworks in our state but not legal to shoot them off in our city. So many people are ignoring this law.
mhugs is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 06-29-2020, 05:33 AM

All of the public fireworks around here are cancelled.

We usually hang out on the lake and watch the fireworks from our boat. This year we will hang out on the boat during the day, then we are heading to my sister's house for a BBQ/Pool Party.

We are hoping that the rain in the next few days will make it wet enough to have some personal fire works. It has been extremely dry here and the fire danger is high.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Fireworks
Old 06-29-2020, 05:51 AM

All fireworks here in MD are canceled.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

luvtulearn

?????
Old 06-29-2020, 06:50 AM

Living in the socal mountains individual fireworks are absolutely forbidden at all times. Under normal situations fire works can be displayed from the village over the lake. A large boat parade would be preceding the fireworks and then you could literally walk across the boats to the middle of the lake. This year the fireworks on the lake cannot be displayed from the village or any other public area. If you are a local you would know where to sneak in but our lake is a private lake and basically the large display this year is for association members only.. No boat parade due to limited docking of boats. Unfortunately this is NOT common knowledge and I'm afraid that the flatlanders in socal will flock up the mountain in hopes to view the fireworks . Especially since there will be no fireworks displayed on the beaches or any other large public area.

Our neighboring lake which is a public access lake is anticipating close to 100,000 visitors during the holiday!!!! Our roads going up and down the mountain will be gridlocked . And no I will not be venturing out. Living in the mountains definately has it's advantages. . . . just not around the major holidays.

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 06-29-2020, 07:04 AM

Most cities have canceled their fireworks, but I did hear that a nearby small city is going to continue. They are having them in three separate locations so most people can view them from their neighborhood. The people that live there are worried that lots of visitors will be coming.

We do have several large amusement parks that are still open and will be having fireworks all weekend.

I will not be watching any fireworks. I live in an area with a lot of community spread and a high number of hospitalizations so I am staying home except for groceries.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Ours too
Old 06-29-2020, 07:13 AM

I think some area towns are doing it, but they are doing them in spots where everyone can see them without having to go out, making them higher, etc. I don't know the details, I just heard that they were changing how it was done so everyone could watch at home. They are highly encouraging everyone to watch at home, but they will allow people to show up in person if they keep social distance.

I normally don't go, and won't go this year, either. The mosquitoes are just too bad and I don't like the smell of mosquito spray, so I just watch them in the house or don't watch at all. I'm not a huge fan of fireworks anyway.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-29-2020, 07:18 AM

Many communities in my area have cancelled their 4th of July celebrations. It mostly depends on what all is involved. Some towns have day-long festivals with food, music, games, etc. Those are mostly cancelled. In my community, they cancelled the parade but will have fireworks as usual. I think they feel it's pretty safe since people usually sit near or in their cars and there are several different places from which they can be seen.

I won't go. I'm not that wild about fireworks and, even when there's no coronavirus, I don't care to deal with the drunkeness.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

wildflowerz

Old 06-29-2020, 07:25 AM

Cancelled

Our town has a full day of events and it takes months to plan. They cancelled a while back because we were in lockdown and the planning couldnít happen.

I met my husband on the 4th so it is a big day for us.
wildflowerz is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 06-29-2020, 07:35 AM

Everything is cancelled.

We have fireworks set off illegally every night that rival a professional display.

The usual places will be packed because people are idiots and donít listen to the news.
sonoma is online now   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 06-29-2020, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Everything is cancelled.

We have fireworks set off illegally every night that rival a professional display.

The usual places will be packed because people are idiots and donít listen to the news.
Exactly the same here on the other side of the country!!!!
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 06-29-2020, 07:55 AM

1. Everything is cancelled.

2. There was a tumor that a fort an hour away and across the state border was doing their display with No live viewing, just televised. But the official website says cancelled.

3. No, not even in a normal year. I don't like fireworks enough to deal with the crowds and traffic. Plus having a severely noise reactive dog meant staying home to try to keep her calm ever since we moved to an area where personal fireworks are legal.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Cancelled
Old 06-29-2020, 08:39 AM

Our are all cancelled. Rioting doesnít spread the plague, but fireworks apparently do. I donít really care one way or another, but the double-standard annoys me.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

crayon14

Not cancelled here!
Old 06-29-2020, 09:16 AM

Wow, Iím pretty surprised that so many suburban and rural places are cancelling. I am still only going to the grocery store so completely understand the importance of social distancing, but honestly fireworks seem like something that can be done safely with distancing in place.

Here in NYC they have announced that instead of one display on the fourth, we will actually be having 6 smaller fireworks shows each day this week. The crazy part is, theyíre not announcing where the fireworks will be, so people wonít have time to gather in crowds. Hereís an article about it https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...2490162/%3famp

Also, just have to note, when I saw this post I didnít think of the 4th of July at all! Weíve have been having illegal and very loud fireworks daily across the city for weeks. Itís been very frustrating as our dog gets pretty scared.
crayon14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 06-29-2020, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Rioting doesnít spread the plague, but fireworks apparently do. I donít really care one way or another, but the double-standard annoys me.
You mean there are places where city governments organized rioting?

In the communities around here that have cancelled their city fireworks displays, law enforcement will not be running around breaking up people who choose to gather to set off their own fireworks.. I'll be very surprised if they'll even ticket people who are using illegal fireworks.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

fireworks
Old 06-29-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
It’s been very frustrating as our dog gets pretty scared.
Fireworks are very hard on animals. It is really sad to see the "have-you-seen" posters and NextDoor posts of people whose dogs/cats have run away because they were so scared. The dog shelter is always overwhelmed after the 4th of July. I'm (not so) secretly happy that the fireworks have been canceled this year.

Where I live in SoCal it is illegal to set off individual fireworks due to the high risk of brush fires, but one family in my street does it every year anyway. They buy illegal fireworks and set them off at random times and on random days to the despair of the neighbors. They are partial to the super loud ones that are more noise than colors display. Many neighbors have complained to the police over the years to no avail. What gets me is that they have two dogs of their own.

Last edited by cvt; 06-29-2020 at 10:15 AM..
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 06-29-2020, 09:59 AM

Like a pp, I assumed this was about all of the fireworks being set off illegally recently. It has been a nightly thing in my neighborhood for weeks as well as pretty much every other area in my city. Luckily for me I'm not really bothered by them and tend to stay up late anyway, but I know they're extremely hard on some people and pets and I think the people continuing to set them off every single night are very selfish.

Most of the fireworks have been cancelled for the 4th around here. There are some small towns supposedly still having them (unless I've missed some recent announcements) and that seems somewhat unwise to me. I feel like people will flock to those small towns that are still having them since there isn't anywhere else to go and they'll be overrun with people.

I like watching the big displays, but our big city one is just such a hassle that I often don't go anymore. You have to get there hours and hours before they start to get a spot, parking is an absolute nightmare, and then it takes forever to get out.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Surely
Old 06-29-2020, 11:23 AM

Quote:
You mean there are places where city governments organized rioting?
Of course not, but the message has been that the risk of spreading the plague under the guise of combating whatever perceived social ills exist is one worth taking. Watching fireworks? Too dangerous, of course.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 06-29-2020, 12:33 PM

Public displays in our area have been cancelled. The fireworks sales tents are up. We've heard some fireworks being set off in the neighborhood already. We are worried about what it will be like here Friday and Saturday nights. We live in a housing development and the houses are close.
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-29-2020, 05:49 PM

As far as I know, every city and town in our entire county has canceled all fireworks displays! We will miss it, but would rather watch it on TV than risk exposure to Covid.

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote