Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Iím so confused by pandemic responses

>

amiga13

Iím so confused by pandemic responses
Old 07-01-2020, 11:51 AM

I just don’t know what we Americans are doing. Do we have any kind of cohesive plan? I read some of your posts about parties and traveling and think I’m living in an alternate universe, a very very small universe. I don’t party or travel, but I do live in a town that’s a vacation destination. I don’t see friends and haven’t even seen my DD since mid-March. I just read this:
Quote:
”There are numerous reports of gatherings at people’s homes and backyards resulting in COVID-19 outbreaks. No BBQ is worth that. Please limit outdoor celebrations to only members of your household,” said San Diego County Supervisor Greg Cox.
Health officials are also worried about out of town visitors. New numbers show 16 people from Arizona have tested positive for coronavirus while in San Diego.
Am I foolish for wearing a mask and distancing?

amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-01-2020, 11:58 AM

NO YOU ARE NOT FOOLISH!

Those having gatherings are! I'm living in that same universe as you. I did break all my rules and let some elderly family stop in overnight on their way to/from a family funeral. I know they are all practicing social distancing. My DD also was here for almost 3 weeks. We stayed home.

I'm getting angry at all these people going out and spreading germs!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

bookgeek59

Old 07-01-2020, 12:04 PM

You're not foolish, amiga. If anyone thinks you are, then I guess they'll think I am, too.
We went into lockdown on March 13. Since then, this is what I've done.

1-one patio lunch: we went during an off-peak time and were the only ones there- we wore masks in and out of the place
2- multiple Kroger and Target carside pickups: wore a mask in the car, touchless receipts
3- one indoor lunch: went right when they opened, wore a mask in and out, we were the only ones there
4- one meeting of 5 people in a school's library: at least 6 ft apart, all wore masks the whole time
5-three doorstep drop offs to a friend who lives alone: we blew kisses through the weekend

I've said no to:
1- 2 book club in-person meet ups
2- a bday pool party of about 40 people invited
3- going to visit my sister that would've meant a flight or train ride
4- having my bestie over just to hang out
5-going to protest marches/ralllies
bookgeek59 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

No, there is no cohesive plan and there is no consensus as to what that plan should be. I donít want to get bumped to the politics board so I wonít assign blame but the fact that itís become a partisan issue is contributing to the lack of cohesion.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

lakey

No you are not foolish. You are doing the right thing. I see all these posts on Facebook about get togethers and do not understand. We are wearing our masks and really only go to stores when necessary. Then I read about people visiting with grandchildren, which I would love to do, but we don't. We flew out to California to see our granddaughter at beginning of March, which was iffy, but I felt we had to since it would be a long time before it would be safe again. So we haven't seen our kids since mid March. My sister lives down the street from me and we only see.each other for short snippets of time!

lakey is online now   Reply With Quote

Izzy23

Old 07-01-2020, 12:07 PM

The problem is there is NO leadership from the federal government. It was left up to the states, which did 50 different things. Then in my state, they overturned the governor's ability to respond cohesively to the pandemic, so now we have 72 counties doing 72 different things.

People are understandably confused. Most have just given up and assumed it's life as normal, now. I have lots of friends who have gone on vacations (Maryland, Florida, etc.). And lots of friends who are going back to restaurants and bars.

And now here we are -- our numbers are doubling every few days. Our local news analyzed neighborhoods in the city and compared the cases now to a couple weeks ago. We're spiking percentages that are truly scary. Two weeks ago in my neighborhood we had 2 cases per 1,000. Today it's 40 cases per 1,000.

How do we get people to take this seriously if there is NO national leadership?
Izzy23 is offline   Reply With Quote
SassyTeach
Old 07-01-2020, 12:08 PM
This message has been deleted by SassyTeach. Reason: Deleted because I am angry and ticked at people who won't wear masks and my comments were just mean.

MAsped

Old 07-01-2020, 12:09 PM

You're not foolish. I'm an only child, so it's just my Mom and I now who live about 15 minutes apart. We don't socialize...just grocery stores as little as possible, maybe Target or Big Lots here and there, and some outdoor walking for exercise. We haven't seen any other family members since December 2018.

My Mom hasn't seen another soul since the mid-March shut-down and neither have fiance' and I. Mom and I haven't seen each other either (but we talk daily on the phone for the last 8 yrs without fail) and fiance' hasn't seen any of his family members (which isn't hard for him to do personally).

We're doing all we can to stay healthy. I had a face shield pretty much since the beginning (along with masks of course). Now I hadn't been wearing the shield the previous few times there when things were looking better, but with more cases on the rise, I started wearing my shield again today and fiance' covered his whole face pretty much too. My Mom's been waiting for her shield to arrive.
MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 07-01-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
I donít want to get bumped to the politics board so I wonít assign blame but the fact that itís become a partisan issue is contributing to the lack of cohesion.
The media wants this to be political. In all honesty I see gatherings and no masking from both sides just about equally. I call it the "it's all about me" syndrome.

I'm not buying the claims that they can't for health reasons. BS! There is a minuscule population that this would affect and then you need to be home!

The "you can't make me, it's my right" people are just terrible people! Sorry if someone here is one, but come on! The stores require you to have pants, shirt, and shoes and you comply. Put a damn mask on!!!
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

NoElephants

Old 07-01-2020, 12:22 PM

You are definitely not foolish. I’m right there with you. Both of my boys had a birthday since the initial lockdown; I chose to be safe and not have a party for either one. I don’t go out much and when I do, I wear a mask.

My state is full of stupid people who put their “rights” and “freedom” above everyone else’s safety. Our governor opened everything back up too fast and now we are one of the epicenters.

This started at the top.
NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Nope.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:24 PM

I’ve been to the doctor and to physical therapy and I picked up a knee brace at the surgical supply store. That’s it. I have family members who live around the corner from me. I have talked to them from the street outside their house. I stay in my car and they stay in their yard and we talk over the fence. I’ve been to the grocery store once. I have a suppressed immune system, I’m not taking any chances with this disease. I know too many people who have lost family members to this disease. Most people I see are wearing masks. I don’t know what the 4th of July will bring. I see videos of people screaming at store clerks because they were asked to put on a mask. One woman threw all the food in her cart on the floor because she was told to put on a mask. I have no idea what is wrong with people.

anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 07-01-2020, 12:26 PM

It's all confusing to me too. We don't have a cohesive plan and it shows. It's ridiculous. No you are not ridiculous, you are responsible and care about others.

I also am confused about the vacations and parties and all the things I see people doing. We have not hung out with people outside of our house since March, we love to travel but won't this summer, I have been invited to large out door and indoor gatherings but decline. I just don't get it either.

The refusal to wear masks is so frustrating too. I just don't get it.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-01-2020, 12:32 PM

(I’m aware my view is going to differ from probably everybody on this but here it goes...)

Do I think the country as a whole has a plan? No.
I don’t think all counties in my state should even be following the same plan though.

I wear a mask anytime I go in a building.
I have done take out/drive thru but have not eaten inside a restaurant.
I do shop, for groceries and other items.

I live alone and went over 6 weeks not seeing a single soul... for mental health reasons that isn’t feasible long term, nor was self isolating ever supposed to be long term.

I now see my best friend (and her son/husband/stepdaughter) multiple times a week. They’re the only people I have seen.

None of us are high risk. I will go to her house on fourth of July, there will be 10 of us who are all working from home and wearing masks in buildings (grocery shopping and similar activities).

I think it’s all about choosing the risks that you are okay with, if somebody is choosing to do differently (more or less) than I am that’s their choice. I can then choose to be around them or not be around them.

Our plan for returning to school has been tentatively released and teachers will be back to face to face instruction with masks “recommended but not required.” If I can go into a building with 1,000 people in 30 days... I can spend a weekend with people i know are being smart if I choose to.

Again, I just believe it’s about mitigating risk. There is always going to be a risk with everything you do.

(Yes, my state is seeing a serious uptick in cases. However, our hospital capacity and resources are not nor have they been a problem throughout this entire thing. The entire point of self isolating was to prevent those things from happening.)

My very long winded way of saying... you’re doing what is best for you/your family just as others will make the same decision. I haven’t gotten the impression from anybody on this board that they’re being negligent... they are just making different choices.
If I was in a high risk group my choices would be different, of course.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 07-01-2020, 12:35 PM

I just typed out and then deleted a long post complaining about all the vacations and birthday parties and everything else I am seeing from friends.
I hate feeling this way, but it ticks me off that none of them are getting sick. I see it as totally selfish behavior and they (so far) have not had any consequences.

No, you are absolutely not a fool for wearing a mask and social distancing. With all the selfishness out there, you need to social distance as much as possible.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

No leadership = no cohesive plan
Old 07-01-2020, 12:37 PM

I agree there seems to be a lack of leadership across the board. Itís disappointing and confusing for all.

As far as what weíre doing, DH has about 4-5 in person meetings a week where he wears a mask and everyone sits apart (there are less than 10 of them).

We had a department cook out (a department of 3) a couple weeks ago where everyone brought their own food and sat far apart (except DS because he doesnít get it). Everyone that attended lives on campus and doesnít go anywhere except, like us, the grocery store and medical appointments.

DS starts his new schoolís summer session tomorrow and Iím not worried about it at all. They have less than a dozen a kids, staff ratio is 1:1 or 1:2. Staff is wearing masks, Iím sending a mask so they can work with him on increasing his time wearing it, and they have strict protocols for keeping everyone safe.

Iím the only one in my family that goes grocery shopping (with a mask...and at off times). On the other hand, Iím also going every day to see my mother in assisted living, again, following their protocols of hand washing, hand sanitizing, and mask wearing. If you wish to judge me for seeing my dying mother, so be it.

Iíve just decided I canít worry about what everyone else is doing. We cancelled our annual beach trip and Iím bummed, but then Myrtle turned into the craziness that it is now and Iím relieved. Iím going to control the things I can control and let the rest work itself out. I just donít have the mental bandwidth right now.

Last edited by h0kie; 07-01-2020 at 05:16 PM..
h0kie is online now   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 07-01-2020, 12:57 PM

I wear a mask when I go to public places. I make sure to keep my distance when in public

However, I live in a county that has had 138 cases total and my town has had one confirmed case. We are very rural and most of the things we enjoy are outside activities: fishing, boating, swimming, tubbing, etc. Even our beaches are not so crowded that people are too close.

My summer has not been very different from usual summers. I did attend one BBQ at my sister's house (15 people) , and have been to my nieces restaurant. I went strawberry picking like I do every year.

Even if people come over to swim or boat, we are outside most of the day.

We are being cautious and hypervigilant about washing hands, cleaning and sanitizing, but we are not sheltering in place.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

I can only echo
Old 07-01-2020, 01:03 PM

the PP.
We have no leadership and there is no plan. We have received a multitude of advice from several sources, some of it very good. During the early days of the pandemic, a young doctor who has been featured on NPR and national news for isolating himself from his family due to his hospital work said "Listen to Dr. Fauci" and that is what DH and I are doing.

I don't understand why the standard practices of keeping oneself safe from germs have been politicized and rebuked. The politicians have no medical experience, hence we take heed to those doctors who do.

Our gov was the CEO of Coldstone Creamery - why would I pay attention to that? He is smart enough to listen to health experts, yes, but they are on the state's payroll and serve an elected politician. So we stay at home, limiting our shopping trips, wear masks, use hand sanitizer and will continue to vote in every election until we turn our toes up.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 07-01-2020, 01:06 PM

You are not foolish Amiga. I"m going to venture a guess (perhaps controversial) that there's a correlation between places that have been slower to open up and number of cases...add in a dash of what Choppie mentioned about population density too.
I"m operating along the theory that I have zero to lose by being careful and wearing a mask and social distancing when out and about. I have a lot to lose by not doing it.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

We are staying home
Old 07-01-2020, 01:07 PM

Except for my 7:00 am grocery runs. Getting delivery has been impossible. We have also gotten takeout from local restaurants, trying to keep them in business. Thatís it! I talk to friends on the phone on occasion but have seen no one since March. My church is opening on Sunday but I wonít go ... not yet. Itís tough but if we donít do it how will it stop! We need leadership badly!
SusaninNJ is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 07-01-2020, 01:08 PM

I just drove across the country to visit my parents who are 80ish. I know it was a risk, but I actually thought it was better than flying. I took my own food, so only stopped for gas and the bathroom. I went in, washed up, and came back out. I stopped at a hotel and it was the same thing. I took the stairs.

I was debating whether to go and when. Since there was a lull, I went for it because I was afraid that July things would be in a worse condition across the country.

While there, I did see an aunt who comes down almost daily to check on my parents. She is pretty isolated. I also saw my cousin and her husband twice. He is retired and she is a nurse working from home. It was a risk, but I can tell you that it was a risk worthwhile to me. My parents have been isolated for months. It is definitely not helping my mom or dad's mental state to be so isolated. I don't want them going out unnecessarily, but they have to start seeing people a little bit more. My mom is high risk, but if they only see a couple of people... As long as those people are not going out, I hope that it is okay. If they spend the last part of their lives socially isolated from everyone and everything, what kind of life is that? And truthfully, I am terribly fearful that it is the last time I see my parents.

So, no parties or BBQ's although we did do drinks. . Other than the one time, we didn't leave the house.

My dh and I are taking a vacation later this week. We rented a condo. We will travel as I did with limited contact (not far enough to need a hotel) and we will spend a majority of our time there in the woods as we usually do - hiking, biking, and maybe playing on the river a day. Limited contact with anyone. It is a risk we are willing to take.

Our numbers are rising, but they are still very comparatively low.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

No
Old 07-01-2020, 01:13 PM

Youíre not foolish for doing what youíre doing, but most people are doing what they think is right given their circumstances. My region has positivity ranges between 1-2% and has for months. Iím wearing a mask where mandated and keeping up my usual routine of hand washing, but Iím also eating at restaurants that are open, taking my kids to playgrounds, (finally!) and doing whatever is being allowed at the current time. My state had one of the most severe lockdowns and weíre anticipating that cases will go up as we get into this phase. Hopefully, hospitals will be able to cope and we can continue what weíre doing.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Lots of Decisions To Make
Old 07-01-2020, 01:19 PM

There is no big plan to follow. Each person has to decide if and when they will take risks.

My husband and I stayed home from mid March to almost mid May. We cancelled our maid service. We did not get take out. We ate our cooking at home. We had groceries delivered or picked up curbside. All our other needs were supplied by online shopping with home delivery. It was safer, but pretty depressing.

So now we are getting out more. We are taking care of eye, dental and doctor appointments. We got the dogs groomed. We are getting take out a couple of times a week. It is such a nice break from cooking. Each got a hair cut. Maids have returned to clean every two weeks. They wear masks and gloves and we use social distancing while they are in our home. Life needs to go on at some level of normal for us. We are happier and less depressed with the changes we have made. We are wearing masks, using hand sanitizer, waiting in our car until it is our appointment time... Taking all the precautions we can.

No parties for us or even family reunions. No eating at a restaurant. No shopping inside box stores. No movies. No fireworks show tomorrow in the park on the fourth.

I think most people want more normalcy in their daily lives than I do but I am sure some want less so they stay safer.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-01-2020, 01:19 PM

The lack of cohesion is really problematic and is causing widespread confusion and really varied reactions. It's not even a lack of cohesion for a single plan, there is a lack of agreement on the extent of this problem!

The concept of a party or get-together, or going to a public, indoor space to meet with people (like a bar or restaurant) is not within my current world.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

imatchr2

Old 07-01-2020, 01:26 PM

Iím finding it interesting that interstate travel/vacationing is allowed.

Our provinces are slowly opening up, but many still have the expectation of quarantine for 14 days after arrival. People are vacationing locally. As it should be, IMO.
imatchr2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 07-01-2020, 01:28 PM

You aren't foolish, Amiga. I think it's clear what we need to do to stay safe. It doesn't matter what anyone else is doing, chooses to do themselves, or who tells us what we need to do to stay safe at this point. We all know unless we haven't been paying attention and are oblivious to what is going on. I don't get the family gatherings or gatherings with a bunch of friends either. It's foolish and tempting fate. There have been cases of spread from social gatherings and I don't think it's worth it.

I sent out 2 sympathy cards yesterday- one to a dear friend/former teaching partner who lost his brother and to the wife/family of my DH's friend/former co-worker. These two men died last week of COVID. Both will never get to enjoy their retirement years or see their grandchildren grow up. It's very sad.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

bGracie

Old 07-01-2020, 01:50 PM

I don't think it's feasible to expect a cohesive plan because places within the U.S. vary so much. I also wonder how there are reports about people get COVID from a barbecue but not from protesting. When leaders remove their masks as soon as the cameras are turned off (or so they think), that's bad leadership, as Fauci did yesterday. I also wonder what kind of life you're living if you never go anywhere. Yes, you're still alive, but you're not really living. Staying away from friends and family is not an option in the long term. I don't find people selfish who are going on vacation or going to get togethers. They may need to see other humans. If an individual is not comfortable with that, they can stay at home.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-01-2020, 01:59 PM

I had to go to Dollar General (closest store to my house) for batteries yesterday. I was the ONLY person in the store wearing a mask. No other customers. No employees. No vendors. Nobody.

I've been on two non-essential shopping trips since the end of February. I wouldn't have gone on those, but one was for a friend getting supplies for an upcoming surgery. The other was with a friend who is moving to another state. The only houses I've visited have been Mom and DSS. We went to DSS's because they were moving. We didn't even see them for two weeks after they returned from a trip to Florida.

We aren't planning a summer vacation. I start back to work on August 3rd, and we got an email warning us against any out-of-state travel within two weeks of school starting so the 14 day quarantine didn't overlap with the start of school.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

LuvMyRatties

Not foolish at all
Old 07-01-2020, 02:17 PM

It's nuts. I just read that college students in Alabama are having Covid parties to see who will be the first to catch it.

(There isn't an eye-rolling Emoji strong enough for this!)

Look, I hate wearing it as much as anyone else, but I also don't want it, and would never want to give it to anyone!
LuvMyRatties is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Pandemic confusion
Old 07-01-2020, 02:18 PM

You are not wrong to continue to wear a mask and SIP. Itís hard. Itís boring. Itís frustrating. Itís safer.

We are lucky to have a proactive (and I must add, quite dishy) governor.

But, as so many have echoed, we have no central, national level guidance. Hence, weíre in it for the long haul.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

googaleeebear

Old 07-01-2020, 02:19 PM

It's selfish of those not taking precautions. No one is asking anyone to stay away from friends/family for 10 years. Why they can't do that for a few more months is beyond me. But, if you are having a backyard hangout with masks on, and 6 feet apart - then why not? Problem is when it's more than just 2 people - that's when people stop with those precautions. But literally, placing priority like going to a bar during a PANDEMIC? I'm in my 30s and I can't believe some of my friends who are venturing out, taking vacations and just NOT caring, with no masks. So no, you're not foolish.

Our governor has said masks are mandated - it's really sad to see how many no maskers in grocery stores. They don't want to wear it, then they should be the ones staying home to order groceries because others - who care - are demonstrating they care by wearing one.
googaleeebear is offline   Reply With Quote

Janylynne

Not foolish, just no one right way...
Old 07-01-2020, 02:32 PM

Weíre a big country. No one plan would work for everyone: rural vs urban, old vs. young. People who can work from home vs people who canít. People have the right to make their own decisions.

I have sheltered in place since mid March but have done two trips to our other house 200 miles away where my adult children live. My adult children do not wear masks when they go out. I do. Their area has not been hard hit with less than 100 cases so far and 1 death. Young people arenít at much risk from this virus even if they get it.

Now, my elderly mother, who lives alone, has decided she is ready to travel to see family. I told her I would go with her so she wouldnít have to travel by herself. So, weíre flying from CA to a Denver tomorrow and staying with my sisterís family for a week.

I know itís a risk. I wouldnít choose to travel out of state right now, but my mother is 85 and in good health. Iím 55 and in good health. She has been widowed three times, her brother, eldest son, and everyone else in her generation is gone except her sister. She wants to see the people she loves. Iím not going to tell her no.

That being said, when we return, I plan to quarantine for two weeks. My mother wanted to drive to see my kids and little granddaughter, but we decided that is too much of a risk after we had just traveled, especially because my daughter is pregnant. So, we are making informed choices.

There isnít one right answer here.
Janylynne is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-01-2020, 02:43 PM

Entire nations survived invasions years ago because the citizenry pulled together and followed a leader. Many sacrifices were made by everyone for the good of the whole nation. Unfortunately that is not the case in America.

You are not foolish for wearing a mask and distancing. You care about yourself and everyone else.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-01-2020, 02:48 PM

No, you are not foolish! But I understand because I live in Arizona and I feel the same way. People have no common sense. I'm astounded and disheartened by the lack of mask wearing and social distancing. I'm staying home and only going out if absolutely necessary. We are going to be going through this for months because people can't just suck it up for awhile.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 07-01-2020, 03:42 PM

I wonder if younger people dying on
mass would change peoples minds. I think people who are not elderly or compromised feel invincible and that makes a difference.
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Cat Love
Old 07-01-2020, 03:53 PM

If completely healthy people were dying at the same rate as those with underlying health issues were dying when contracting covid, yes, people would be even more concerned because they know that unhealthy people are at risk when they get sick with just about anything. Covid seems to just ravage them more. But what we are seeing is that many of the healthy have minimal symptoms or if they do get pretty sick they eventually get better.

So, the issue isn't elderly vs young - it is healthy vs unhealthy. It makes sense that a virus contracted by the unhealthy produces death among that category of people.

MAsped

Old 07-01-2020, 04:38 PM

Can anyone just NOT do ANY type of social gathering though?! I know I can and have been and I'm sure certain ones of you out there have.

But still, some people are saying, "I only went to a ___ gathering 1x". That's just it. You can't even do that 1x.

PrivateEyes

I don't understand myself
Old 07-01-2020, 04:42 PM

how there could be any danger in person A) who has social distanced for months visiting person B) who has social distanced for months. There may be some miniscule risk, but there's all kinds of risk in living. You take a life risk every time you get in the car. But we see the benefits as outweighing the risks.

As the American Association of Pediatrics so wisely noted:

Quote:
Policies to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 within schools must be balanced with the known harms to children, adolescents, families, and the community by keeping children at home.
That's the same for all people. Yes, mitigate the risks. But balance the risks vs the benefits. By the end of this summer, I will have seen every one of my five children and eight grandchildren. One family at a time. Minimal risk because we all take precautions every day. Benefits are priceless.

So everyone should do what they feel is wise. But also, I wish everyone would stop judging those who choose other options. When someone says they're upset because another person they judge to be unwise hasn't paid the price by getting COVID, that's sad. Very shocking to wish harm on another.
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

You are NOT foolish!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:43 PM

I think it is wise to listen to the MEDICAL experts and do exactly what you are doing. That's what I'm doing as well. The people having parties and large gatherings and protesting in groups are the reason why COVID numbers have sky rocketed. Some wear masks but many do not. Talking, shouting, and/or singing (which is what often occurs in large groups) also help spread the virus.

People think it won't affect them or their family members until it does.

Last edited by Ruby tunes; 07-01-2020 at 05:08 PM..
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 07-01-2020, 04:45 PM

I have to say we have been back and forth from Tennessee to Illinois to Tennessee. We are full time RVers. Our home base is in Tennessee but my husband still helps plant the crops in Illinois which is essential work. We only stopped at rest areas to walk the dog. We eat in the RV and use our own restroom. We stop once for fuel.

I have seen friends only outdoors at least six feet apart with our own chairs and food.

We only buy takeout from restaurants and only go to stores for food and other essential things like parts to fix the RV.

I broke a tooth last weekend and went to the dentist on Monday. It was weird to be that close to people other than my husband even though they were all ďsuited up.Ē

I always wear a mask if I am going to possibly be less than 6 feet from someone when outside and always if indoors in a public place.

My husband and I do a lot of outdoor activities that keep us naturally social distancing- hiking, bird watching, biking, kayaking.

After we quarantine for two weeks here we will be visiting with my first grandson who is almost two weeks old. My son and daughter-in- law have been nowhere.
Sam5 is online now   Reply With Quote

blcw

Wear the mask, keep distancing!
Old 07-01-2020, 04:52 PM

I just travelled from one of those states thatís in the top 4 for bringing Covid rates down to one of the Southern states where itís going up (family stuff-rock and the hard place us sandwich people face). Iím absolutely shocked at what I see here-itís obvious why the rates are going up.
I do think the lack of leadership and a strong, cohesive national plan & policy has caused all sorts of problems, and made us look very foolish. When did science become taboo? Iím also a bit peeved that my plan to visit overseas relations in the Fall or Christmas is on hold.

Blcw
blcw is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

I think you are wise
Old 07-01-2020, 05:10 PM

We have not done much during this period of time. Last Saturday though, we decided to go and help my older sister with her house maintenance, as she is older now and not able to do the outdoor work. It was all family. We stayed mostly outside, but she did feed us indoors, so we all stayed far enough apart. Her area has not had very many cases, and where we live and where my other sister lives have been low or very stable in cases for a while.

It was a risk that I would not have been willing to take if our state was in a different phase. As it is, the only family member I would have worried about being exposed to anything stayed far apart from all of us.

It felt weird when I didn't have my mask on in my sister's house when we were eating. The mask makes me be present and thoughtful about what I am doing. Without it, it's easy to forget and take a risk without thinking about it. I almost did a few times when I was eating. Does that make sense?
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-01-2020, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Can anyone just NOT do ANY type of social gathering though?! I know I can and have been and I'm sure certain ones of you out there have.
I’m not even sure with 100% certainty what this question is asking...

You said previously you haven’t seen any family since December 2018, so a year and a half ago? It sounds as though it pretty typical for you to see only your fiancť and your mother.

I get everybody is making different choices but the judgement I see happening everywhere is just insane.

No, I can’t self isolate indefinitely. It’s not healthy and it’s not a life, for me. I do fully support what ever decision anybody is making for themself.
However, I also wear a mask anytime I’m in any type of establishment. So, I’m still protecting all the people I may come in contact with.

There’s also a difference between social distancing and self isolating...

Amiga, could you and your daughter meet somewhere outside so you could see her? Is she working from home and self isolating?
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

r9miles

Planes mic or pandemic
Old 07-01-2020, 06:22 PM

I wear a mask because of pressure. I will follow the rules of any business, state or local ordinance. That is until someone thinks they have the right to require my to take a vaccine that is questionable and comprised of fetal tissue. I have absolutely no confidence in the media sponsored science. I have 3 children who work in the medical system. A paramedic, an ER PCA, and pediatric PCA and they are not and have not seen any of what the media reports.

I will be traveling from Michigan to California with confidence. I will hand wash and wear a mask as necessary in public. I will not fall for the fear mongering.
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

I Admire You
Old 07-01-2020, 06:32 PM

No amiga, I do not think you are wrong/crazy. I think you are doing what you need to do and others should be doing.

I think Americans are selfish in putting themselves first and not caring about everyone else around them. Big deal you need to wear a mask when out, just wear it and stop complaining. As some one said, no dhity, no shoes, no service and this should now include no mask. We have no leadership for this and it is causing big problems. We do not have freedom to do anything we want to do, such as euthanasia.We need to get over ourselves and work for the good of everyone in the country not just ourselves.

Amiga, you and your DD continue doing what is right for you. Only you know what that is and what you can live with.
klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 07-01-2020, 06:53 PM

Quote:
I just believe itís about mitigating risk. There is always going to be a risk with everything you do.
I agree with this. It's like the whole debate about how to go back to school. Is the risk of going and possibly getting sick worth the social, emotional, and economic fallout of everyone learning from home? For some people it's not. For others, it is.

Today I drove up to the mountains to spend the month with my in-laws. It's me and my kids, my in-laws, and my sister-in-law and her kids. All of us have been social distancing, wearing masks, and working from home since March. Is there a risk? Yes, a small one. Is it worth not seeing them? No, not at all. This is the last year that all of the cousins will get to spend this time together as two are starting college in the fall. This is the time where my kids are off of devices and hiking, biking, fishing, etc. This is the time where I will get to step away from the madness of school stuff and recuperate before starting it all again. For us, it is completely worth the small risk of getting sick.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-01-2020, 07:19 PM

You are absolutely doing the right thing! I am back at work in a summer camp/daycare setting and its constantly on my mind. Being over 60 and DH being over 65 is especially concerning for me. Keep doing what you are doing!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 PM

amiga13, what confuses you? That people make different choices?
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Lilbitkm
Old 07-01-2020, 07:51 PM

To answer your question, I personally may not have seen a soul, other than the one other person I live with, in a much longer time than these past 3 mos, but it seems people just can't NOT do something in these few little mos we've had so far. I'm not saying by any means that everyone should be like me...but actually, that may be what it takes to finally drastically lower OR get rid of this dreaded thing...literally not meet up with anyone for now.

For me, COVID first came to my attention sometime in January and then March 19th is when things first shut down. So since March 19th, I'm just wondering why people can't just not go to 1 social thing for now? Doesn't seem like it.

I agree with amiga here as I said in my post #7 and by what she says she's doing, she seems to be doing all the right things (no partying, travel, not even meeting up with her daughter, etc.), but I was just bringing up another thought.

I know people say, well we can't stop living, etc., but at least for these last few months, I would have not done a thing so far and then see how things are at that point. We now all see that things are getting worse so aside from the results of the protesting and looting now showing up more positive cases, people obviously aren't being careful enough as careful as they may think they are. So that "just 1x of this or that get together" or getting hair or nails done is still quite risky IMO.

annie_g

Old 07-01-2020, 07:54 PM

I think this is how a lot of us feel right now.
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalloryJames
amiga13, what confuses you? That people make different choices?
Sorry I was unclear. I meant Iím confused about what I should be doing. Just me. Iím old enough to know we all make our own choices. Iím simply wondering if, given the varied responses to the pandemic, Iím doing the right thing for me and those I come in contact with. Is that clear?
amiga13 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 07-01-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
It's selfish of those not taking precautions. No one is asking anyone to stay away from friends/family for 10 years. Why they can't do that for a few more months is beyond me.

This is what people were saying in May, and it's now July. While I do think some people are making choices I wouldn't, and while I do think some are being selfish (those not wearing masks in public places where I have no choice to "not go"), I disagree with your statement. This is going to be far longer than a few more months. The toll of this pandemic is already showing. Some people (myself included) NEED to get out and see people in "real life", not via Zoom.

Now I'm not saying have huge parties, and take no precautions. I just think we need to be a little more careful about judging those who make different choices, especially when those choices are in line with government orders for your area. I also think this shouldn't be a comparison game of who's been the most isolated.

https://www.globalhealthnow.org/2020...-mental-health

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/...111/jocn.15290

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/loc...r-15334401.php
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-01-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Iím simply wondering if, given the varied responses to the pandemic, Iím doing the right thing for me and those I come in contact with.
Oh, okay, thanks. I think each person has to make the decision for themself. This thread alone has different takes on what risks people are willing to take. If you think what you are doing is beyond what's necessary, then maybe branch out some.

Gromit

Old 07-01-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
This is going to be far longer than a few more months. The toll of this pandemic is already showing. Some people (myself included) NEED to get out and see people in "real life", not via Zoom.
The only reason that this is going to be far longer than a few more months is because of incompetent leadership who WASTED the lockdown time. Shelter-in-place is intended to be an emergency measure while the threat is taken care of and then it can be ended. However, we never took care of the threat. Testing, tracing, isolating. Adequate resources. That's all it would have taken, and instead the time was wasted denying there was even a problem.

We wasted our only chance at getting a large percentage of Americans on board. We could have been like any number of countries that locked down temporarily and dealt with the problem.

Instead, we locked down, whined about doing it (both the government and the citizens), opened up with no real plan, and were shocked to find that nothing had changed since March despite our banking on the virus "miraculously" going away.

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-01-2020, 08:43 PM

Gromit, I agree.

But, I like my book club better on Zoom. I don't have to wear pants.

bGracie

Old 07-01-2020, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Shelter-in-place is intended to be an emergency measure while the threat is taken care of and then it can be ended.
That's not what I remember hearing. I think it was intended to flatten the curve, not end the threat.
bGracie is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-01-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:
That's not what I remember hearing. I think it was intended to flatten the curve, not end the threat.
Not the threat of the virus, the threat of rampant unchecked spread of the virus. Flatten the curve while they figure out how to resume some semblance of normal life while keeping the curve flat. And there is a protocol that would do that....keep apart, wear the mask, no big crowds. But because not enough people are doing that, the curve is going way back up in too many areas.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-01-2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
The curve is the threat.

Do you see us any more prepared to deal with another spike in cases and hospitalizations? Do you see us any more prepared to deal with outbreaks?

No, because we still do not have a cohesive and comprehensive testing and tracing plan in place.

We also do not have a population of people who are willing to do the bare minimum required to begin to move about the country again until those are in place. SIP until vaccine and herd immunity are not the only options.

Test. Trace. Isolate. It is a proven method of dealing with epidemics around the world.

EDIT: I typed this and then forgot to press submit. By the time I did, PoohBear had posted. Totally agree, PoohBear!
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

covid
Old 07-02-2020, 02:45 AM

To answer the question you posed. You are not foolish.

Wearing masks in public when unable to socially distance has been shown to be an effective mitigation. I just watched a study on our local news comparing what happens when wearing a mask to not. It is a fact.

Social distancing also helps.

Ohio has begun opening up . But what's happened is the pendulum has swung way too far. The numbers of people not abiding by the suggested masks and social distancing is causing up swings in major populations. Our rural area not so much. I personally have slowly started to get out (hair salon, some grocery shopping during early hours, going to a friends where we sat outside apart). This is with precautions and is right for me.

And I keep washing my hands after everything I do in public like crazy!
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

Alaska35

Amiga 13
Old 07-02-2020, 03:32 AM

You are NOT foolish!

Since March 15th: My husband and I use Wal-Mart pickup for my FIL’s groceries and for ours. We do not go in my FIL’s house. We social distance and visit with him outside. I usually visit my mother once a month. She lives in a city about 2 1/2 hours from where I live. I haven’t seen her since February. I call her every other day. We visit other family members via telephone.

We use drive through pickups for prescriptions for ourselves and one of our cats.

I started having some stomach issues around the first of May and finally it got to the point I had to make an appointment with my doctor. The first appointment was with Zoom. I ended up having a CT scan at our local hospital. I was referred to another doctor and will have a colonoscopy at the end of August. I realized I should have gone to the doctor at least a week earlier.

The church we attend is still meeting online via Zoom. We have a congregation that is made up of mostly people that are over the age of 60. We have 12 people that are under the age of 60 in our congregation. I live in a state where our cases have spiked considerably since Memorial Day. We do not know when we will meet in person again.

We are avid fans of a sports team of one of the universities in the state where we live. We are season ticket holders for football, basketball, and baseball. We especially love baseball! We don’t know yet if fans will be allowed to attend in person. If so, we have already made the decision that we will NOT be attending in person.

We do not shop in any stores. We haven’t eaten any food from a restaurant since the middle of March.

We do go on short drives around 2 or three times per week.

We all have to make personal choices. I just wish that people would adhere to wearing masks, social distancing, and to make the choice NOT to gather in large groups.
Alaska35 is offline   Reply With Quote
IAgreewithyo

IAgreewithyo

Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 AM

It is confusing. Our Democrat governor put in place a red, yellow, green system instead of phases but with NO CLARIFICATION until recently that it included wearing masks and social distancing (and it still isn't even in the green criteria but above it!). So everyone thinks they are in green county so they are ready to"go" and do whatever they want. It is so ridiculous. You made a mistake, fine, but come out and clarify it clearly and resoundingly.

cvt

social distancing
Old 07-02-2020, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Thereís also a difference between social distancing and self isolating...
From the day that the term "social distancing" was used I realized there was going to be confusion. I thought at the time that "physical distancing" might be a more appropriate term. Keeping 6+ feet away from others not in your immediate household is physically distancing. "Social distancing" implies (to some) that you should not socialize, not see anyone, friends or family, and yes, self isolating.

In the beginning of this plague there was not much information other than that it was an airborne virus. Now we know a lot more about the transmission paths.

Visiting with relatives and/or friends outdoors at 6+ feet distancing is less dangerous than having people over indoors. Those backyard BBQs could be done safely with physically distancing and masks, but it is easy to forget in the excitement to do so. I'd say pick your relatives and friends carefully if you're planning to have a gathering.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote