Help

BusyBoard

What would you do? Re: school meeting

>

Susie-Girl

What would you do? Re: school meeting
Old 08-01-2020, 12:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Teachers report Tuesday and students will start Thursday. We are starting a full traditional start. 🙄 We live in an area that has a very high positivity rate, yet so many still refuse to wear masks or even believe its that serious.

I got my back to school letter in the mail today with the weekís schedule. First day teachers are back there will be a four hour meeting with all teachers and staff at my school. This includes about 50 people. We will be meeting in an area thatís about the size of roughly three smallish classrooms put together. No windows. Nothing was mentioned of masks.

What would you do? I love my school and what I do. But I donít want to get sick. Any advice appreciated. Right to work state...no union.

Susie-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 08-01-2020, 01:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I wouldn't roll the dice. I would quit and stay healthy for myself,my family and my community.
anna is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Old 08-01-2020, 01:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Any plans for social distancing when students arrive or is the staff meeting the biggest concern?

I would maybe ask for the meeting to be livestreamed with the option to watch it from your classroom.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 08-01-2020, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would contact my administrator on Monday morning and express my concerns. Tell him or her you are not comfortable being in such a small environment with so many people and no mask requirement. If they refuse and its at all possible for you to resign that is what I would do. In my opinion there is no excuse for requiring this type of thing with no safety precautions in place!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Susie-Girl

Masks...
Old 08-01-2020, 01:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We will wear masks when kiddos are present. And TRY to set up our rooms to promote social distancing. However, one teacher already knows she will have 27 students so...

Iím a nervous wreck.

Susie-Girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 08-01-2020, 01:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I can't imagine how you are feeling right now...I don't go back until the 19th so I'm in heavy denial. Masks are being required at my school. I am wearing a mask and a face shield...best of luck
Opal is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Keep your mask on during the meeting. Stand in the doorway.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

sevenplus

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Does your city or state have a mandate for masks/social distancing? It NEEDS to be followed.

But, yeah, express your concerns early.
sevenplus is offline   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 08-01-2020, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

i think it really depends on how comfortable you are talking with your P and staff.

i would be sending a reply all email asking: Is there a larger room we can hold this meeting? or can we hold a virtual meeting? we will all be wearing masks, right?

*our state has been on an upward trend for the past couple weeks and our county and city both have mask mandates. school is supposed to start the 17th (and will) but will prob be virtual---but all discussions have been VERY CLEAR that everyone will wear masks in our schools.

good luck!
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

Old 08-01-2020, 01:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Being practical óif you have a good relationship with the principal I would ask if there could be social distancing, a bigger room, part of it outdoors, and masks suggested. If you donít have that kind of principal I would sit closest to an open door and away from others. I would wear a mask and a plastic shield (thatís what the general practice doctors are doing here for regular appointments.) I am sorry that it isnít taken more serious.

In person with 27 kids with positivity going up - I suspect your school wonít be open for long.

Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 08-01-2020, 02:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wear your mask and try to social distance yourself
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

all41

Old 08-01-2020, 02:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Please contact your principal and discuss your concerns as soon as possible, in person or over the phone would be best. They should be willing to schedule this meeting in a larger room, the gym or the cafeteria if nothing else. If they refuse then you need to decide what your next steps will be since they have shown you that they do not care about the health of staff or students.
Sorry you are being put in this situation.

Edit to add: If 50 people are scheduled to attend this meeting chances are you will not be the only one to complain about this.

Last edited by all41; 08-01-2020 at 02:31 PM..
all41 is offline   Reply With Quote

maxwell

Meeting
Old 08-01-2020, 02:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

Bring a chair and meet in the gym?
maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote

love_to_learn

Old 08-01-2020, 02:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I am sorry. I made the decision that I would not risk my health for my job even if that meant I had to quit and find something else. We cannot afford me not working, but I want to be alive so I was willing to take that stand. I am no martyer. Thankfully I am working remotely next year so I am good. No union here either.

I agree with talking to admin and addressing your concerns. I would refuse to attend unless your safety concerns were met or ask for the meeting to be streamed.

I just feel so confused by people's behavior and lack of concern during this time.
love_to_learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 08-01-2020, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Your governor has made clear his intention to open schools and continue to be a yes-man for the WH. Can you afford to quit? Most of us couldnít. Wear a mask and social distance the best you can. Take Sonomaís advice and get close to the door.
Cassyree is offline   Reply With Quote
likestravels

likestravels

There's a clue
Old 08-01-2020, 02:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

There is a definite clue as to how your principal feels about the advice of the scientists and the doctors about masks and distancing.

You are also getting some clear messages about how your district, and principal feel about protecting each member of your faculty. Your whole school is clearly free of students during the meeting time, yet you are being crammed into a room with no requirement for wearing a mask.

This when your cafeteria and gym are clearly available and safer options?!!!
Your principal clearly has control over the meeting location, knows what the doctors and scientists say about gathering in closed building and wearing a mask, but knowingly makes the meeting location going against their advice.

Wow... and I can't begin to imagine your over loaded classrooms......

Stand up for yourself, voice your concerns, others are thinking the same as you. Wear a mask, face shield, and distance yourself during the meeting. I willing to bet there will be positive cases within the first few weeks of school.

tgbwc

27?
Old 08-01-2020, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I am very surprised you are going back with full classrooms. Which state? My district had planned on giving families a choice between hybrid or complete distance learning before deciding recently to start all online in Sept. Teachers were asked to give a preference for hybrid or distance. Staffing the two systems became too difficult. With the hybrid model I would have had about half a class (maybe 10-13 students) on alternating days, masks required and 6’ distancing. Our positivity rate has been level or slightly dropping since mid-late June. We are currently around 5.4% on our 7 day average test positive rate.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 08-01-2020, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I would talk to your P. I'm sure you are not the only one concerned!
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachnkids

Old 08-02-2020, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Quote:
.I wouldn't roll the dice. I would quit and stay healthy for myself,my family and my community.
This is not a realistic option for most people. Those that are not working to pay critical bills are doing this, but many rely on their income for critical bills.

I would wear a mask, bring my own chair, and sit as far away from people as you can. I'd also contact admin ahead of time asking about social distancing protocol.
teachnkids is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 08-02-2020, 11:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Can the meeting be held remotely via Google Meets for those that aren't comfortable being all together? That is what my school did....if you wanted to be in your room the meeting was Zoomed.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote