User Name forgot?
Password

Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More

Fountas and Pinnell and Daily 5

>

J.Elaine

Fountas and Pinnell and Daily 5
Old 05-26-2009, 03:03 PM

I went to a meeting this morning to discuss the first 20 days of readers workshop as described by Fountas and Pinnell. We wanted to think about ways to help our students become independent readers so we could be free to work with small groups of students and individuals. I think we were successful. Several years ago I read/studied the Guided Readers and Writers book by F&P. I've been following their model ever since -- that is until we got a Basal program we had to use! Now we are trying to get back to differentiating instruction so we can meet the needs of all our students.

Hey, BTW! I was part of a study group that met right here on ProTeacher the summer I read F&P. It was headed up by Debbie Rondeau. Maybe someone's still out there who participated in that group reading and discussing!!!!

After lunch our group continued our work by discussing The Daily 5. I haven't read the book yet, but I am excited putting it into practice. F&P's first twenty days just goes right along with the plan to start the D5. Of course, I'm completely sold on independent reading (D5--read to self). As far as I'm concerned, reading self-selected books independently is the most important component of literacy development. However, I am looking forward to the structure I think D5 will provide me as I implement the other components.

More later . . .
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
lynnylubner

Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 PM

I highly recommend the Cafe book by the Two Sisters that wrote Daily 5!
It has lots of intervention strategies for reader and plans to meet with students.
lynnylubner is offline   Reply With Quote
r9miles

D5 for the Upper El
Old 05-26-2009, 04:52 PM

I have been using D5 for 3 years now. I eliminated word work and listening in the 3rd grade so that they could work on building stamina and writing in response to their reading. In this way there is really no center choosing because when they read to someone they are partnered with a book club buddy. We do this part of the block and read to self the rest of the block and anytime that is appropriate in their reading they write in a reading response journal. I expect a minumum of 3 responses a week.
r9miles is offline   Reply With Quote
iteach4th

Hello!!!!
Old 05-26-2009, 05:39 PM

Elaine.....!!!
So good to hear from you again! Remember me......the "other" Debbie??? I'd love to catch up with you !! I'm finished with my 4th graders on Friday, so send me an email!! Are you still in contact with Debbie Rondeau??

I have been using the Daily 5 (well, I guess a bit modified version) for a couple of years now. I love it, and I use it to base all of my independent work stations. My great group of kids this year really did well with it. I can't wait to discuss it with you!!

Let's chat soon!!!
iteach4th is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Here's what I plan . . .
Old 05-27-2009, 09:08 AM

I plan on doing my version of D5 using only 3 of the components. I'm totally committed to the read to self part. In fact that's what I've been doing for at least 5 years following F&P's model. Then I'm planning to do the word work and the writing and of course meeting with the teacher. The read with a partner just doesn't fit how I like to do things. Even if I'm meeting with a small group/individual, I want the other kids to be reading or doing word work VERY quietly.

I have my same students back again next year, so I have many advatages as I plan for them. Number 1, I love them dearly and can't wait to see them again in the fall. Number 2, I know them -- their strenghts and challenges, and they know what I expect of them during independent reading. They know how to self-select "just right" books and they do a wonderful job sustaining reading. Now I'm excited about adding other the components following the structure provided by the D5.

That's my plan! Any thoughts/advice/comments?

More later . . .
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

>
Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More