Password

Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More

Okay! It's officially summer!!!!

>

J.Elaine

Okay! It's officially summer!!!!
Old 06-28-2009, 12:06 PM

Hello, Everybody!
It's officially summer . . . meaning I'm finished with summer school! Hallelujuah!!! I slept as late as I wanted yesterday AND today!!!!! Of course I don't want to do that every day, but for now it's feeling really good to decide when I want to get up instead of knowing that at a certain time I have to get up.

Yesterday my granddaughter came to stay with me while her parents and older siblings went to a ball game. The heat index was over 100!!!! We played on the computer, played Bunco (Gracie's version!!!!!!) and got ice cream sundaes. It was nice to relax and enjoy the time with her without thinking about what I needed to teach the next day!

I'm reading The Water is Wide by Pat Conroy right now. Has anyone else read any of Conroy's books?

I am going to start reading The Daily 5 soon, and I plan to air my thinking here on my blog. I'm hoping some proteacher friends will join in -- share ideas -- as I am thinking and planning. Right here at ProTeacher one summer a group of us read and discussed Guiding Readers and Writers by Fountas and Pinnell. That was the best book study ever! I'm still using strategies and ideas I learned from that book AND from other teachers who shared their knowledge and expertise.

Later . . .

J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Ilvtching

Old 06-28-2009, 12:56 PM

I am working on reading the Cafe Book and the Daily 5. Maybe we can share our ideas!
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Daily 5
Old 06-28-2009, 08:11 PM

Ilvtching,
I am reading the Daily 5 right at this very minute. I don't have the Cafe Book. What grade level do you teach? I have 5th graders in the fall.
Do you think I need the Cafe Book, or do you think the Daily 5 will be good enough?
Toni

Daily 5 is awesome!
Old 06-29-2009, 10:44 AM

I read the book last summer and implemented it in the fall. I had children who were at F&P level A- virtually non-readers. By the end of the school year, they scored 18 on their DRA tests. That means they went from mid-kindergarten to late 1st grade reading levels in just 9 months! I have seldom seen growth like that.

I ordered the The Cafe Book last week- can't wait until it gets here.
I am looking forward to what you learn from this wonderful resource.
Toni is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Dra
Old 06-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Wow, Toni!
That's incredible growth! We do DRAs with our students, so I know what you're saying about the levels.

In the Daily 5, I am just getting to the "good fit" books part using the shoe lesson which I'm definitely going to do. Maybe you can answer a question for me. How is the Cafe Book different and/or better than the Daily 5? Do I need to read that one too?
Ilvtching

Old 06-29-2009, 02:34 PM

The Daily 5 is what your kids are doing while you do CAFE (small groups instruction) with the other kids. CAFE is the small instruction piece that you may want to use....here it is online http://www.stenhouse.com/emags/0728/pageflip.html

I ordered mine from Amazon and it is a great read so far....I am only on chapter 3...I teach first grade and CAN'T WAIT to implement both in my classroom next year. If you go to the Peony room (from the home page here) it is devoted to Daily 5 and Cafe...the people there have used it and can probably better answer your questions!
Ilvtching is offline   Reply With Quote
tlk

daily 5 kindies???
Old 08-04-2009, 03:47 AM

Can Daily 5 effectively work in Kindergarten? Should I get the book?
tlk is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

tlk
Old 08-04-2009, 07:59 AM

tkl,
I teach 4th and 5th graders and don't have any first-hand knowledge about the effectiveness of Daily 5 in kindergarten classrooms. I do know I've read lots of posts from people who identify themselves as first grade teachers, and they seem to be making it work well for first graders. Have you been to the discussion room -- Peony?? It's a board for discussing Daily 5. If I were you I'd post over there and see what some of the primary teachers have to say. Let us know what you decide to do about Daily 5.
Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great year!

>
Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More