User Name forgot?
Password

Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More

I'm Merging: Daily 5+CAFE+Basal +++

>

J.Elaine

I'm Merging: Daily 5+CAFE+Basal +++
Old 07-31-2009, 09:33 AM

So here it is, the last day of July. I'm ready to get serious about school. I've gathered my resources. In fact I'm here in my office (at home) literally surrounded by resources:
The Daily 5 by the Sisters
The CAFE Book also by the Sisters
The Comprehension Toolkit by Stephanie Harvey and Anne Goudvis
Using Picture Books to Teach Writing with the Traits by Ruth Culham
Differentiating Instruction in a Whole-Group Setting by Betty Hollas

I've downloaded and printed my Missouri GLE's (Grade Level Expectations)
And I've downloaded and printed mega files from the wise people who share their expertise in the Peony Room and the Forget-Me-Not Room. My head is bursting with ideas and it's time to put something down on paper.

So . . . I'm ready to start merging! I've decided to blog about the process as it unfolds. Doing so will give me a record of my progress, and maybe it will give others a chance to comment and offer advice.

I have, in fact, already started the process. I used tables to organize all the strategies and skills that would be covered in each unit of my basal series. I called it Charting My Basal. I've attached the file at the end of this blog.

It was a time-consuming process, but I found it worthwhile in this way. As I was typing the information for each unit into the table, one week at a time, my mind was thinking about ways I could merge those things with everything I'd been reading from the Sisters.

Now, my next step is to take those tables and add the GLE's so I can be sure I'm covering all the state's requirements. I'm working on that today, and I'll blog more after that process -- hopefully today.

Later . . .
Attached Files
File Type: doc Basal Units Tables for all Units.doc (187.5 KB, 523 views)
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
MissMom6

Every Time
Old 07-31-2009, 12:06 PM

...I got to the place where you are, someone in the family would have an emergency (seriously!)-- or put a great movie in the DVD player...

I did finally lock my door, put some soft music on, and got down to work. Now I know what I'm doing this year, I think!
MissMom6 is offline   Reply With Quote
CageyBee

Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 PM

I started the same thing this summer...then life got in the way. I really need to lock myself in my cave and not escape until I am done. I have it all on paper but not in a readable format. Thanks for the inspiration!
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote
LangArtsLuvr

What a Great Job!
Old 07-31-2009, 12:36 PM

Oh my gosh! Your table is amazing! I am in a very similar place as you are: I have read Daily 5 and The Cafe Book and am reading Growing Readers and Reviewing Reading with Meaning, and I am going to try to merge it all with Houghton-Mifflin basal series this fall. I have been abit overwhelmed with how to actually wrap my brain around the concept. After seeing your table, I have a vision for how this could actually be done. I started Daily 5 mid-year last year with 3rd grade, and it went OK, but it will be better starting fresh in the fall with everything in place. Thank you so much for sharing!
LangArtsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
dizzydolphin

Me Too!
Old 07-31-2009, 01:05 PM

I find it strange how so many people in different places can decide to do the same things. I gathered all of my books together to "chart my basal" (I love your term) and then a miracle happened. . .PT! Someone posted the Harcourt site that had it all done for me. I was so excited that I copied-printed-put into sheet protectors and created a notebook where I am adding ideas every day to teach reading, language, and writing. I attended a 3 day workshop for the CAFE and I have done a book study for the Daily5. I will be following your blog to see how you are doing. Good Luck!
dizzydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
ljsplmi

Dizzydophin
Old 07-31-2009, 02:47 PM

Hi, where on Harcourts site did you find this information. I am not sure the site is always user friendly! Can you post this on the 2nd grade discussion boards? A team of teachers are doing this for the district and have gone in several directions. I need some inspiration!!!Thanks
ljsplmi is offline   Reply With Quote
dizzydolphin

Not the official site
Old 07-31-2009, 03:53 PM

http://www.pcboe.net/les/elderweb/harcourtresources.htm

This is the one I found it on. Go to your grade level-organizational folder.
dizzydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
LangArtsLuvr

Houghton-Mifflin
Old 07-31-2009, 07:57 PM

Does anyone know if someone has already gone through this process for Houghton-Mifflin?
LangArtsLuvr is offline   Reply With Quote
IMSaved2

Can I, Should I, Will I?
Old 08-01-2009, 09:34 AM

I've read The Daily 5, The CAFE Book, Cornerstone, and Notebook Connections recently and now I'm wondering if it's possible to DO IT ALL - you know, the Readers Workshop, Writers Workshop, D5, CAFE, and all the other great stuff?

Why does it seem like things were done "the wrong way" until these books came out? It was the "right way" when the old ways first came out - wasn't it?

I just love getting ideas (maybe we should call them ideals) from PT and other teaching resources. Does anyone have experience with any of the following books? Are they worth getting or should I just save my money for a new laptop (mine is super old and super slow?)

• Wondrous Words - Katie Wood Ray
  • Study Driven - Katie Wood Ray
  • Notebook Know-How - Aimee Buckner
  • Teaching the Qualities of Writing - Portalupi/Fletcher
  • Deeper Reading - Kelly Gallagher
  • Living Between the Lines - Calkins/Harwayne
  • The Comprehension Toolkit - Harvey/Goudvis
  • The Book Whisperer - Donalyn Miller
IMSaved2 is offline   Reply With Quote
cvt

started
Old 08-01-2009, 12:35 PM

I, too, was surrounded by Daily 5 and CAFE, Growing Readers and Reading with Meaning this summer. I, too, was going to merge the basal program with RW. Now reality has hit.

I started this past week with D5 and CAFE with my new first graders (I'm year-round). It was not a great success. In fact it was a total failure. I have many more challenging students than in the past. Introducing 3 ways to read a book/Read to Self were not the fun activities that I had envisioned. Last year I dabbled in D5 and was able to get my students adjusted fairly quickly to RtS, but this time the stamina was only 1 minute . This was after 2 days of trying. I only introduced one CAFE comprehension strategy (check for understanding), but I saw many blank faces.

This is going to be a long year!
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote
LECGA

LOVE some of those books...
Old 08-01-2009, 03:23 PM

I'm not familiar with some of them, but I'll thoroughly recommend the following:
-Notebook Now-How: Great for ideas for how to organize your Writer's Workshop based on notebooks. I got a lot of ideas for mini-lessons and grades from this book.

-Teaching the Qualities of Writing: My old district bought this for all the third grade teachers and we loved it. We had the version that had all of the mini-lessons on cards in an expand a file type of contraption. I use many of the lessons to launch my Writer's Workshop each year.

-Comprehension Toolkit: I'd definitely recommend this one if you are familiar with Strategies that Work by the same authors. If you've already read that one, this is a great next step.

Good luck!
Laura
LECGA is offline   Reply With Quote
wmccloy

Notebook Know-How
Old 08-01-2009, 04:34 PM

I've only read this one, but I loved it and am going to try to incorporate it this year along with the daily 5 and cafe.
wmccloy is offline   Reply With Quote
here4kids

Wow!!!
Old 08-01-2009, 06:24 PM

Kudos to you... quite an ambitious endeavor. Good luck!!!
here4kids is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Familiar with Toolkit
Old 08-01-2009, 08:24 PM

IMSaved2,
I am familiar with The Toolkit. I used the Comprehension book from the Toolkit last year at the end of the year. I did the lessons just like the book told me to do them, and I loved teaching it. My students responded positively and started right away practicing and referring to the chart we made about knowing what to do when comprehension starts to break down. I am looking forward to incorporating The Toolkit lessons in with everything else I am working on.

cvt,
My heart just went out to you when I read how your first few days of D5 and CAFE went. I can't even begin to know what it's like to teach these kinds of strategies to first graders. Have you connected with any other first grade teachers on ProTeacher? All I can do is encourage you to take it really slow. You do not have to do all the lessons the Sisters say to do everyday. Just do what you can do and what your students can receive. If they can only read 1 min. then start there. Maybe just add 30 seconds to the minute the next time. Make a graph, so they can see their progress.
As I said, I don't know what it's like to teach first graders. I've only had 4th and 5th graders. Keep talking to us. Maybe someone else can offer you some advice or words of encouragement.

Okay, Everybody! I am excited about the discussion that's going on so far. Thanks to everyone who chimed in with advice, questions, etc. I have been out running around all day today looking for those pictures that MrsCroak said she got at Dollar Tree and never did find them!!!!!!!!!!! Now, I'm ready to get back to work here. I'm finishing the next step of my process -- adding all the state expectations to the tables. It's interesting to note that so many of our Missouri GLE's can be covered by using the lessons in the Ready Reference Forms (RRF) in the back of The CAFE Book!

BTW, I typed a list of all the lessons from the RRF. I just have to have every thing put together in a list that I can refer to as I plan. I also like to have the list on paper so I can write the names of the picture books (and other resources) I plan to use when I teach each lesson. I haven't gotten quite that far yet, but I'll attach the list I typed.

I look forward to more discussions with you all. And, I will offer more . . .

Later . . .
Attached Files
File Type: doc CAFE STRATEGY LIST JES.doc (44.0 KB, 312 views)
J.Elaine

dizzydolpin
Old 08-01-2009, 08:36 PM

Hey, dizzydolphin!
I was just thinking about what you said about how interesting it is that so many people get the same idea at the same time. I've noticed that too. I had a math teacher in college who said that when we were discovering or inventing something here in America, someone else was discovering or inventing the exact same thing on some other continent(s). I guess it's that old adage: Necessity is the mother of invention! We needed to have our thoughts together in a manageable form, and we each had the idea to do it at pretty much the same time -- without even talking about it to each other! Maybe it's that other old adage: Great minds run together! Ya' think?

Later . . .
spenceroni

Old 08-02-2009, 05:09 AM

I am so glad that I stumbled upon this particular blog. I just finished reading the Daily 5 and The Cafe, and am wanting to incorporate them into my 3rd grade class. I really just don't know where to start! After reading the entries, I don't feel alone...there are more like me out there, yeah! I sure wish I could pull everything together quickly, but after 20 years of teaching, I find that doing bits at a time is best. I'd love to do it as the Sisters do it, but that's just not going to happen. I look forward to reading how everyone approaches what looks like is a similar problem.
spenceroni is offline   Reply With Quote
vanvic

I'm glad I found this blog.
Old 08-02-2009, 06:15 AM

I am also going to try and implement D5, CAFE and... Guided Reading, which our district had 20 of us take training. I look forward to hearing what others are doing/trying.
vanvic is offline   Reply With Quote
vanvic

Katie Wood Ray
Old 08-02-2009, 06:23 AM

is GREAT! I have everything she's written (I think) and love her. Aimee Buckner's book is great (as others have said).She has a brand new book out called- Notebook Connections- Strategies for the Reader's Notebook. I'm reading it now. I think you can read it online at www.Stenhouse.com.I think someone on PT did a book discussion group on it. Anything by Ralph Fletcher is great for writing. I have Deeper Reading but haven't read it. Living Between the Lines I read years ago. It was good, but I think you can get more current ideas from the others-Fletcher or Wood Ray. Book Whisperer was very good.
vanvic is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Hey, Everybody!!
Old 08-02-2009, 07:52 PM

I was just working with my RRF list and noticed I made an error when I typed EXTEND Vocabulary when it's actually EXPAND Vocabulary. It's a Word Document, so I'm hoping everyone can correct that error. Sorry!
J.Elaine

Old 08-04-2009, 08:05 AM

I hope to have something new to post today. You all are keeping me going because I want to come over here and blog about my progress! The only way to blog about progress is to MAKE SOME PROGRESS ! I've spent the last few days with grandchildren -- big kids, babies, and everything in between!!! Exhausting!

Later
todair

Old 08-06-2009, 03:27 PM

Wow! Great job on the strategies and skills. I wish I used the same series. Good luck with Daily 5. I'm trying to do it with a Basal as well.
todair is offline   Reply With Quote

>
Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More