User Name forgot?
Password

Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More

Worked all Weekend

>

J.Elaine

Worked all Weekend
Old 08-27-2006, 08:12 PM

It's the end of Sunday, and I'll be back in the classroom with my students tomorrow morning. I've worked all weekend long just trying to be ready for the week. I worked last weekend, too, just trying to be ready for the first full week of school. And of course, I worked three weeks ago - all week plus weekends - just trying to make sure I would be ready for the beginning of school. I tell myself it will all slow down soon, but I don't believe it. I work to get ahead but never do. Is it just me, or does this job consume you and your life? Is it worth the energy I invest?

The time I've given today seems to be time well-spent. We go to the computer lab tomorrow, and I've bookmarked a page I found here on ProTeacher. It's the Mrs. Renz class website. She has a whole poetry unit posted for all to see and use. I'm going to use her examples of acrostics, and then go to one her links where my students can write an acrostic online and print it out. The next day, the next step in the lesson is to read the picture book, Don't Laugh at Me, and listen to the CD of the song. After some discussion, my students will write their rough drafts of a RESPECT acrostic, and then they will do their final drafts on the Acrostic website next time we go to the computer lab. Is that just the coolest thing ever? A whole complete writing lesson! See, if I'd not spent the time, I wouldn't have this wonderful activity planned.

So, even though I'm feeling rather tired and a bit sorry for myself for having spent my whole weekend working on school, I have to admit, I am excited about the lesson plans I've prepared for the week. There's a holiday coming up, so I know I'll take some time out for family and friends. That's important to me, too. And besides, everything will slow down soon -- won't it?

More later . . .
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
JKB

Hi J.Elaine!
Old 08-27-2006, 11:00 PM

I'm running about 3 weeks behind you! I recall your post entitled "I'm tired....."......that's where I am at right now. I was in my classroom every single day this past week, just trying to set it up. There is so much more I want to do! I just keep reminding myself that "Rome wasn't built in a day!"

While teaching does have a way of consuming a lot of time.......the things that I do outside of the classroom are things that bring me joy and inspiration. There are a lot of things going on in my personal life that are challenging, and it is my "sanctuary" to delve more into my teaching life.

Will everything slow down? Ummmmm.....I don't know....I've been wondering that for about 14 years now........

Hope this week is dynamic for you! Your lesson plan with the Acrostics sounds great!

JKB
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Fight the Good Fight!
Old 08-28-2006, 05:43 PM

Hey, JKB!
My principal is signing all his emails, memos, and newsletters, "Fight the Good Fight!" I guess that has to be our motto. We tired, but we keep going! It's all because of our love for and committment to teaching our students. That's what makes it all worthwhile. I do know what you mean about the challenges in our personal lives. I've lived through a couple of life-changing experiences since I started teaching 13 years ago, and delving deeper (as you say) into our profession is what kept me going. Today, was one of those satisfying days when I looked at my students and thought about how much I care for them already. I know you are tired right now, but fight the good fight. Your students will make it all worthwhile for you!
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

>
Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More