TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Help me please...head lice invasion!

>

Anon mom

Anon mom

Help me please...head lice invasion!
Old 12-27-2009, 06:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My 10-year old daughter has been invaded by head lice. Here's a list of what I've done...to no avail...I found more nits tonight! Please look at what I've done and see if you have a suggestion for me to try. We are desperate!

-treated her hair (with an oily "gel" lice shampoo twice and with a vinegar/water mixture once)
-combed the hair with a plastic nit comb (I can't even count the number of times I've combed thru her coarse, shoulder-length hair!)
-sprayed lice killer on carpets then vacuumed
-put all pillows in the dryer
-removed all stuffed animals and blankets

No one else in the house has it but we've all used the shampoo and washed everything in the house that could be washed! I've been careful to separate the hair into sections as I've combed..spending more than an hour each time.

Would a metal comb be better than the plastic ones? The nits seem to be small enough that they slip right thru the comb's teeth!
Anyone have home remedies that work?? I hate to put more poisons on my child's head!

Help!!!

ballmom42

Rosemary essential oil
Old 12-27-2009, 06:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I've always heard to put a few drops in shampoo. You can get it at health/beauty supply stores.

Also, if you can find it, Prell Shampoo is supposed to have an ingredient in it that works as a deterrent.

Good luck! My head is itching as I write this!

AuntKK

Oh NO
Old 12-27-2009, 06:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My daughter had these same issues in 4th grade. There was a girl in her class that had missed so many days because of lice that they decided to not send her home any more. (as a teacher, I totally get that) But, my daughter who has incredibly thick hair kept getting them.

I started to rinse her hair daily with vinegar. We just bought the gallon jug and kept it in the shower. We did this for about a month after a regular treatment and we didn't have a problem again. It also makes your hair really soft!

shiloh1220

Old 12-27-2009, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Did you use RID? That's the best shampoo I know of... Good Luck

2inspire

Old 12-27-2009, 06:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've heard that you should wash all of the sheets, etc in hot water. Also, once you vacuum, get rid of the bag just in case there are eggs or any live lice in the vac bag. Otherwise, you may just be going in circles. How frustrating for you. Good luck!

BioAdoptMom3

Old 12-27-2009, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

You won't need to shampoo her hair with it again till next week, but each night for the next several nights you'll need to wet it good then use the lice comb to comb through it in sections just as you did tonight. Its the only way to get rid of the nits completely. I would then go get some tea tree oil and put just a few drops in her regular shampoo. If she uses that daily, or at least every other day it should prevent a reoccurance. Denorex Shampoo also seems to be a great deterant.

Nancy

starfish92

Yes
Old 12-27-2009, 07:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

the metal comb might be better. What can not be washed should go in the freezer or in an air tight bag for up to 2 weeks.
What about the rest of the bedding? That means the mattress too. If she is going back to school after you the treatments keep gel in her hair and/or hair spray. They don't seem to like it--and I have heard that it helps to not get re-infested. Good luck! I've been there.

bGracie

Old 12-27-2009, 07:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You might try Nix cream rinse. The one time I had them in elementary school, my mom used Nix, and she said it was very effective. You also might try one of the zapping combs. I can't remember exactly what it's called, but when you comb it through hair, it zaps the lice and the nits. I know of a school that uses one. You also might search here at PT for older threads about this topic. I remember a good one from not too long ago that had a lot of good information.

wiggytails

My sister...
Old 12-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

...has fought this with my niece (who has hair to her butt)! Finally after a few weeks of laundry, sprays,etc. AND WAY MORE TREATMENTS THAN RECOMMENDED, the school nurse told her to try some homeopathic remedies as the lice had grown tolerant of the RID treatments. My sister found that the steel metal knit combs were the best! She swears by them...she said the knits came out by the hundreds. She borrowed one from the school nurse and until the one she ordered came in. She used Mayo to get the knits out with the comb and then she washed it with "dawn" dish soap to help with the oil left behind.

Hope this helps! Best of luck, I know it is expensive, dreadful and time consuming!

Tallulah815

As a teacher,
Old 12-27-2009, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I wound up with these several years ago. It was horrible, so I feel your pain. I wanted to just shut the door and move to a new house. I used mayo. I put it all over my head and wrapped my head in plastic wrap to sleep. (With towels under my head, of course.) The worst part of that was how my dogs kept following me because I smelled like a sandwich. The doctor recommended the mayo because I did not want to keep using the poison. I also kept combing my hair regularly, getting all the nits out. Good luck. It's yucky, but stay strong. You will get through it.

taximom

Friend's story
Old 12-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There was a family at her small rural school that constantly had lice. Like several PPs said, the other kids would get them.

This friend's grandmother would comb kerosene through her hair every day. She also put flea collars on their backpacks.

teachergranma

Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Good luck in getting rid of the pests. I had a metal lice comb that had a magnifying glass on one end that really helped to find the nits. I don't know if they still make them or not. I used to use eculypatus oil in my shampoo. Just a few drops in a bottle amde mix it up well. They don't like the eculypatus, but I realize many people don't either I jst happen to really like it. I know I am weird, because I also like the small of bengay. I hope the lice disappear at your house. I delt with that several times when raising children. I do not envy you one bit.

Ima Spedtcher

our experience
Old 12-27-2009, 07:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My DD has super thick but super fine hair and had the super lice (immune to the lice shampoo).

We got an herbal kit from the health food store (I can't remember what was in it, but I think it was a combination of essential oils)- that seemed to kill the live lice. We coated her hair in olive oil and put a shower cap on over night and did a daily rinse with vinegar. NONE of the nit combs worked, so I just pulled out every nit with my fingers- it seemed like the vinegar really worked well to loosen them.

Our schools are lice infested and kids CAN come to school with lice. So we now do a vinegar rinse through everyone's hair every 3 days- I read that the vinegar kills the nits so even if you get a live one they can't reproduce. I also put drops of tee tree oil in all our shampoo and conditioner. So far it has been about 5 years since anyone in our house has gotten them.

summertime

Old 12-27-2009, 08:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

http://www.fairytaleshaircare.com/?g...FU1M5Qod1XNWLA

this is the best stuff!!

use the metal comb and comb thru the hair everyday. That is the only way to get rid of it!!! vegetable oil in the hair makes the nits slide ot easier. dawn dish soap gets out the oil after. Hugs to u!!! I feel your pain!!!!

luv2chat

Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Tea tree oil is a natural way to get rid of lice. You can buy the oil at your local health store and add it to your regular shampoo for lice prevention. They often sell teatree oil shampoo as well. The best way to get rid of them is persistence not chemicals. Buy a metal lice comb, it will last longer especially if you are doing thick hair. I lice comb dd's hair in the bath when it's full of conditioner. The conditioner helps the nits to slide off the hair shaft. Then blow dry it to kill any you might have missed, they don't like the heat. Do it every other night for a week and you shouldn't see anymore. If you do it once a week after that it keeps it from getting infested again. They can't live long once they are off your head so a good vacuum is usually enough to get rid of any in the house.

kls1103

odd but effective
Old 12-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

As two of the PP's said try mayo and blow drying. I had a student with the same issue and finally after a ton of time and money, those where the two things that seemed to work. The blow dryer literally cooks the nits (nasty but effective) and from what I read the mayo suffocates them. Good luck.

Angie

Old 12-27-2009, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Get a metal comb. I like Nix better than RID.. DD got lice when she was 9 or 10. We treated with Nix and then combed her hair FOREVER... the next night I washed again with NIX and then we rented movies and combed and combed and combed and combed. I nit picked for 4 days... took all her stuffed animals and put in plastic bags. Washed her sheets everyday until the lice was completely gone and vacuumed, vacuumed, and vacuumed... Good Luck!

gloves2teach

no advice
Old 12-27-2009, 09:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I don't have any advice really. I have heard that the mayo works though. This is my fear as a teacher! I just think this would be so horrible to get rid of. It's like when your pet gets fleas. You have to clean EVERYTHING!! You have my sympathy. Good Luck!!

imatchr2

the lice squad
Old 12-27-2009, 09:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

My school is often "infested" with lice. We cannot send children home--parents receive a note that day and we have to basically take their word for it that they have treated their child's hair. Often, they do not do a thorough enough job, and thus the problem never seems to go away. One girl in my K class a couple years ago had long thick blond hair. Her mother could not get rid of them--and she was one who DID try everything. Finally, she called in a company called The Lice Squad. They came and treated the whole family, cleaned up the house, picked the nits out (took hours), and it was done. At the time, she said it was the best $200 she ever spent.

steach

Winter coat/hat? Robi comb?
Old 12-28-2009, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

Make sure you have washed her winter coats/jackets/etc in hot water. You might want to toss the backpack and get her a new one. Have you heard of the robi comb for lice? I think you can get one at Walgreens. It is an electric comb that zaps the little critters. Our school nurse/secretary swear buy the robi comb. Good Luck!

jersey

Metal Comb
Old 12-28-2009, 06:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

Buy the metal comb from your pharmacy. It works much better. Use it every day.

Don't bother with RID and other pesticides. Lice are now resistant to them.

Using the metal comb every day worked for us -- but it took a week.

76lake

Definitely get the metal comb
Old 12-28-2009, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

My daughter had a lice problem about five years ago. I tried everything I could find over the counter...nothing seemed to work. I finally spent the entire afternoon with a nit remover kit (something I had found that was vinegar based), and went through her hair with a metal comb. I continued to go through her hair with the metal comb everyday for approximately three weeks (I would even take her outside to get better light). Knock on wood...they haven't come back. Also, do as the other posts suggested (taking care of bedding, stuffed animals, furniture, jackets, coats, etc). Good luck. I definitely feel for you!

GB

Old 12-28-2009, 10:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

Do mayonaise all the way to the roots, separating each section of hair and getting in the scalp. Put on a shower cap all night. It suffocates the little boogers, and your problem is gone.

sevenplus

Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

We're dealing with that right now, too. I have them and my 4-year-old did, too. He has VERY curly thick hair. It broke my heart, but we ended up shaving his head. I simply could not get the lice comb through his hair. (I realize that's not a good option for your daughter.)

I had lice once before and was pregnant so I avoided any medicated products. I doused my head in olive oil and put on a shower cap. After several hours I combed through my hair. The oil suffocates the live bugs but not the nits. Ten days later, repeat the process. The nits will have hatched but are not yet old enough to reproduce.

This time I bought an OTC product called Lice MD. It was amazing! You put it on your head, wait 10 minutes, then comb through and wash out. I haven't found a live bug since using it and it even loosened the nits from my hair.

I did sleep (and am currently sleeping) on our leather couch so I don't have to wash bedding every night.

You can kill bugs on stuffed animals and other items by putting them in a hot dryer for 30 minutes.

maj

vinegar
Old 12-28-2009, 12:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

I second (or is it third?) the vinegar suggestion. Two of my daughters had them about five years ago, and the vinegar worked the best. It's not as nasty as mayo, either. We poured it on their heads in the shower, then they wrapped a towel around their heads for a little while and then rinsed it out. It's very effective for the nits (it destroys them). Good luck; it's a horrible thing to go through.