Help

Sixth Grade

Text Structures - HELP!

>

MrsA_2009

Text Structures - HELP!
Old 01-08-2010, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students scored low on text structures on their formatives. How do you teach text structures? They can all tell you which text structure a passage is, but our state standard asks why the author uses this structure. For instance, students would read a passage and the question would be:

"The author uses sequence as the text structure mainly to..."

How do I teach this??

MrsA_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 01-09-2010, 05:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Is it a multiple choice answer? I hate these types of questions. Our test is multiple choice, so we learn the process of elimination approach. "If the author wants to show the priority of ___, then we would see some sort of list in some sort of order? Is that what we have?" or something like that.

Can you (rather, students) develop some sort of chart or list that would show possible purpose for types of text structure?
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

maryteach

Are you in my district?
Old 01-09-2010, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm in the position of having to teach that too, and I'm about to start. I also am having trouble knowing what they mean, but I think I'm beginning to figure it out.

I think the first thing to teach in this is author's purpose (you know, PIE--persuade, inform, or entertain). That's pretty easy and kids seem to grasp that without too much trouble. I do think, though, that we need to show them that text often has more than one purpose. I think it's actually erroneous to teach author's purpose--it should be author's PURPOSES. But PIE is the easy part.

Text structures (I think this is what the second part is) are compare/contrast, problem/solution, cause and effect, and there may be one or two more. What I think I need to do is bring in examples of nonfiction text that illustrates each of these structures. If you're familiar with thinking maps (really, just fancy graphic organizers), that would be helpful here. The only thing stopping me is, for instance, what really is the difference between some of these? Could problem/solution be viewed as cause and effect, in some instances?

If we can name one of the above structures as being what an author uses, then I think we can say more easily WHY the author uses that structure. Problem/solution goes hand-in-hand with persuasion as a purpose, for example. (My problem, again, is doesn't this work with cause and effect, too?)

Compare/contrast is to inform, I think, because it's supposed to give a balanced view. So I don't think that one is persuasion. I think it's to inform. WTH structure do we assign to the purpose "to entertain?" Ripley's is a great example of that author's purpose, but I'm not sure I could identify an actual structure to the text. I guess narrative would be the structure and to entertain would be the purpose.

I never had to work with this before this year, and with two degrees in English, I never came across this. So I'm learning it this year too! I haven't started it, though, because I still have some questions about it myself. Anyone else out there know more? Please share!
maryteach is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

PowerPoint
Old 01-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

MrsA_2009,

I have a ppt I got from Teachers Pay Teachers -- What is Structure? I think you'd find it very informative and useful. It may be all you need to teach the topic. All you'll need to do is provide some practice for your students afterwards.

It's a free download, but since I didn't create it, I don't think I can attach it here. You can either go to Teachers Pay Teachers and download it for yourself. OR you can send me a PM with your email address, and I will send it to you.

BTW, I have 5th graders, but the ppt is actually more appropriate for higher grade levels. I have to edit it to meet the needs of my 4th/5th graders.

Last edited by J.Elaine; 01-09-2010 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: needed to add BTW
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Text Structure PowerPoint
Old 01-09-2010, 08:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I accidentally came across a great powerpoint by Emily Kissner offered as a free download. (I'm not sure if this is one of the sites that PT blocks.)

Here's the URL with spaces in the web address in case the first one doesn't link correctly. (Take out the asterisks when using the URL):
http://*www.*teachers*pay*teachers.*com/*Product /Understanding-Text-Structure-Powerpoint

She also has several other free downloads regarding text structures which you can look up, as well.

(I just tried it to be sure the link worked. Looks like you have to sign up before being able to get to the downloads. I forgot my username and password. *sigh*) P.S. J. Elaine and I posted around the same time. I think this is the same one she's suggesting.

Last edited by Risa; 01-09-2010 at 08:24 AM.. Reason: added info about sign-up required
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Risa's right!
Old 01-09-2010, 09:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks, Risa!
The ppt by Emily Kissner is the one I was talking about. It looks like it has a different title on the download, but the sample slides look just the same. You do have to sign up to download even free things, but there is no fee to sign up.

CageyBee

Old 01-10-2010, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Talk about timing! That is my lesson for the week...thanks Risa and J.Elaine!
CageyBee is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Old 01-10-2010, 05:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

You've gotta love it when a plan comes together!!!!!!

Groovy Gal

Old 01-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Wonderful ppt. Thanks
I signed up for the website too. Will need to check it out more.
Groovy Gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

See first-->Teaching Text Structure ppt
Old 01-10-2010, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I was able to download and view the other PowerPoints the same person (Kissner) made. After viewing them all, I would also recommend, before you start teaching this concept, "Teaching Text Structure". It's directed to teachers. It gave me a better idea of why it's important for students to understand and how to go about teaching these structures. (Actually, I plan on using all 4 of her powerpoints. I think they each have valuable information presented in an organized way.)

This link should take you to that download page.

Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

J.Elaine

Old 01-10-2010, 06:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Risa! You Rock!!!!

I already used the link, downloaded the ppt, and saved it in my files.

MrsA_2009

Old 01-14-2010, 04:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Thanks for the links!! I will definitely check into those.
MrsA_2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

CAVAPOO

Old 01-17-2010, 03:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

RISA, Thank you for the great link!!
CAVAPOO is offline   Reply With Quote
WildcatBarb

WildcatBarb

Text Structure
Old 01-18-2010, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Sounds like the original poster is in Kansas---that is exactly what our state assessments ask the kids to do. They can pick out a text structure but figuring why an author uses a particular structure is a problem. The TeachersPayTeachers site is great!! Thanks for sharing great ideas!!

msegura

Text Structure
Old 12-04-2011, 05:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I teach genres first. After that is very simple. You are right in saying that you need to identify the author's purpose.Then, you need to teach the signal words for each type of text and the signal questions as well. When they know how to define and use the signal words, you give the students simple passages using the structure of each type of text. They have to identify them and decide which type of graphic organizer is the best one to use for each.I ask the students to read the passage and highlight the signal words so they can be sure about the text structure. I usually follow this steps and begin with a very simple topic that can be used and adapted to all test structures. Once they know it and remember it , they can identify them all. I also put a 3d graphic organizer together with all they need to know as a reference so they keep it in their folders. make sure you explain the difference between a sequence of events and the steps in a process to make or do something. I am very happy with the results I get. Hope this helps. There is a difference between Narrative and expository texts analysis. Use a chart with 4 columns and label them as follows:

Text structure Definition Signal words Graphic Organizer
Description : The author for example
describes a topic characteristics
by listing for instance
characteristics, such as
features, is like
attributes, and including
examples to illustrate
I do not know how to include the graphic organizer but I hope you get the idea.
msegura is offline   Reply With Quote

msegura

Text Structure
Old 12-04-2011, 06:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I teach genres first. After that is very simple. You are right in saying that you need to identify the author's purpose.Then, you need to teach the signal words for each type of text and the signal questions as well. When they know how to define and use the signal words, you give the students simple passages using the structure of each type of text. They have to identify them and decide which type of graphic organizer is the best one to use for each.I ask the students to read the passage and highlight the signal words so they can be sure about the text structure. I usually follow this steps and begin with a very simple topic that can be used and adapted to all test structures. Once they know it and remember it , they can identify them all. I also put a 3d graphic organizer together with all they need to know as a reference so they keep it in their folders. make sure you explain the difference between a sequence of events and the steps in a process to make or do something. I am very happy with the results I get. Hope this helps. There is a difference between Narrative and expository texts analysis. Use a chart with 4 columns and label them as follows:

Text structure Definition Signal words Graphic Organizer
Description : The author for example
describes a topic characteristics
by listing for instance
characteristics, such as
features, is like
attributes, and including
examples to illustrate
I do not know how to include the graphic organizer but I hope you get the idea.
msegura is offline   Reply With Quote

Avoli

Super !!!
Old 01-13-2016, 12:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Thank you for sharing this information. I have been trying to get my students to understand text structure. This will certainly help in the future when I am teaching text structure.
Avoli is offline   Reply With Quote