User Name forgot?
Password

Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More

Are you kidding me?

>

J.Elaine

Are you kidding me?
Old 02-08-2010, 07:40 AM

YOU ARE NEVER GOING TO BELIEVE WHAT HAPPENED TO ME THIS MORNING!

I got up and ready for school as usual. The last thing I did before leaving was to open the blinds, out back first. OMG! It was snowing! I ran to the front to check -- and, yes it was snowing in the front too (duh!).

I thought, Yikes! I'd better get to school! (a 4-minute drive) So off I went -- 4-wheel drive set on Part-Time -- thinking, Everything looks so beautiful and peaceful?

Drove into the parking lot thinking, hmmm? -- not plowed -- hmmm?
Looked around thinking, hmmm? -- the earliest birds are not here yet -- hmmm?

Entered the building thinking, lights on -- nobody in sight -- hmmm?

Rushed up to my room -- turned on the computers -- ran up to write the date and assignments on the board -- thinking all the time, If I'd stayed off PT yesterday, I'd know what I'm supposed to be doing today! It's all because of NeeCee, Risa, and MiddlingAZ! $#%$%$##

Then, in my lightning-fast mind, I began to wonder if there was actually going to be school today -- Ha! Ha! -- Dream on! Then letting my imagination run with the thought, Wouldn't it be wonderful to have one more day to actually get ready for the week?

I ran to the computer -- brought up our district webpage -- clicked on "Wondering if this is a Snow Day?" button -- AND . . .

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I GUESS YOU'VE ALREADY GUESSED THE REST OF THE STORY . . .

IT'S A SNOW DAY IN MISSOURI -- AGAIN!!!

Now, I'm at school with an unexpected day to work, and I'm going to take full advantage of it!

Later,
Elaine

By the way, we're never going to get out of school in this spring!
AND . . . t
alk about test anxiety! How are we ever going to get all our GLE's taught before THE TESTS??? (This question is for Risa, from the "Test Prep 4 State Assessment" Group.)
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
MrsCroak

Old 02-08-2010, 01:47 PM

I am a little jealous of you, but I also had a snow day (Philly). I cannot get in to my school if school is closed, or else I would have taken complete advantage of a day at school with no one else around to distract me.

we got 2 feel of snow over the weekend, and are expecting another foot tomorrow night.
MrsCroak is offline   Reply With Quote
angelajw

Laughing
Old 02-08-2010, 01:53 PM

I am sorry but that is hillarious!! I am not an early bird and always looking for the snow day. Thankfully we went back to school today after missing 7 school days in a row. The school board is meeting tonight to discuss how we are going to make them all up. There will be no days off this spring
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote
Nyanza

Reminds
Old 02-08-2010, 02:54 PM

me of a selection from a previous basal years ago- Martha Matilda O'Toole went skipping off to school ( a line from the selection) lol
Nyanza is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Old 02-08-2010, 03:00 PM

MrsCroak,
Two feet of snow and more on the way?????? Wow! I think we're wimps in MO. We got about 1/2 inch, the snow stopped, and the roads thawed all day. Of course, the temperature is dropping and it's snowing again right now. But . . . I'm sure we'll get nothing even close to a foot! Why in the world won't they let you into your school? I remember it seemed you waited forever to get into your classroom in August/September. BTW, how many days of school do you miss when you get that much snow?

Angelajw,
Don't be sorry -- it WAS hilarious!!! I can't even believe you've missed so much school. Was it snow OR the power outage OR both that kept you out? Today makes 5 snow days we've had this year as opposed to 0 last year!!!!
angelajw

Ice
Old 02-08-2010, 04:14 PM

We had a horrible ice storm that caused major damage to the state and massive power outages. There are still areas that have been told March or April before they get power. I cannot even imagine that. Running a generator costs $50 a day in gas. It is snowing again right now but it won't amount to much and after we have missed so much there is no way we will be staying home. We pretty much have to have icy roads to miss school. I am currious as to what the school board votes on how we will make up these days. We had 4 days in the calendar.
angelajw is offline   Reply With Quote
ahgeldridge

Old 02-08-2010, 11:28 PM

I grew up in Philly, Downingtown, and my parents were talking about the snow and how much they have been getting. Kentucky is getting it right now..again. Is this winter ever going to end! Schools have not been closing much around here and there were ten bus accidents a few weeks ago b/c of it! In one day! Thankfully only one child was injured. It has been pretty though, I will agree with Angelajw.
ahgeldridge is offline   Reply With Quote
capentights

"Saints" Day
Old 02-10-2010, 03:52 AM

We don't get much snow down here, but we've already had days off! Because the Saints were in the Super Bowl, we had no school on Monday! Then of course, with the victory parade yesterday, I was down to 9 kids by 1:00 (most schools caved in and closed at lunch). Luckily, we have hurricane days built in and we only used one this year!

I'm not sure when I will actually get to teach again, as Friday is a half day and we are off next week for Mardi Gras. Crazy southerners!
capentights is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Old 02-10-2010, 05:30 PM

Wow! You guys describe some really serious situations. I just can't imagine how you are going to get everything you need to teach in before this school year ends. How does your district/state handle it when conditions make it impossible for teachers and students to get to school?
jeanmarie

Snow Days
Old 02-12-2010, 11:33 AM

We've missed 8 and it's only Feb! We're mandated by state to have 180 days of school so we will make them up. We've lost Pres Day, Monday after Easter (still get Good Friday) and the rest are added on at the end. Since we always miss at least a week, we start school by mid-August (thank heavens) or we'd be here until the 4th of July. The bigger problem has been storms blowing in during the day and having to dismiss on quick notice due to roads closing and no visibility. This REALLY puts parents in a bind! One day we dismissed at noon, but brought the busses back until evening when the wind died and we could see. Several years back, we didn't get them out at all and parked kids all over town for the night if we could find safe places. High schoolers who lived in the country stayed at school(town kids were bummed!) We moved every tv we had into the gym, ordered tons of pizza and had a huge party!! Kids still talk of it yet. Now, hurricane days would be scary if you ask me!
jeanmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Old 02-12-2010, 12:57 PM

I bet kids did love that overnight/pizza/movie night!!!! My students always beg me to get the principal's permission to have a lock-in. They think it would be fun to play hide-and-seek all over the building in the dark. Now, that sounds like something I'd like to do with 5th graders!!!!

>
Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More