Help

First Grade

Zoo Pal Plates and Cups

>

ARC07

Zoo Pal Plates and Cups
Old 07-08-2010, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was in Target last week and happened to notice these cute Zoo pal paper plates and paper cups. I also found bowls at Walmart as well. Since I am doing a Jungle theme, I picked up the paper plate sets that had jungle animals displayed on the front. Well...I think I have a Zoo Pal Plates addiction now. I have purchased at least 10 sets of them, because each one has different animals.

I am going to use them for my Wild about Words word wall and Word Families display. I have taped each animal plate to a piece of paper and written the word family or sound that is in the animals name and left space to add words onto each one.
For example- Goat Paper plate taped onto a piece of paper with oat written under the plate and then a line and space below to add words in that word family.

For my cups, I am going to use them for sorting words that begin with the same letter, similar sounds, and again word families. The nice thing about the cups is they come with plastic lids as well.

Also, if you are having trouble finding all the beanie babies for those decoding/comprehension posters a lot of people use...the paper plates could be an alternative. The only animals I have not found so far are the iguana, spider, and owl. But I bet they are out there in a Zoo pals plate set somewhere.

I have not purchased the bowls. I don't think I have a need for them right now.

Just thought I would share. Each set (bowls, cups, or plates) is under $2 and there are a lot in each set. There are so many things you can with them besides my ideas as well.

ARC07 is offline   Reply With Quote

ARC07

More ideas
Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You could attach a thick popsicle stick to the back of various animals and use them for puppets in your retell/drama center.

You could poke a hole on each side, cut out the eyes on the plate, attach a string, and make it into a mask for reader's theater.

You could give each kid a plate as a story starter. They have to make up a story about their animal or write a sentence if they are not ready for writing stories yet.

You could use them for partnering or grouping students together.

I am still brainstorming ideas. (Trying to validate to my husband why I wasted $20 on paper plates....lol. I have spent way too much money on things for my classroom this year.)

CR

Creative ideas!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I like your ideas of using the zoo pal plates! I was so intrigued by the variety that I had to look online to see what ones there were. Here's the link to all the different animals!
http://zoopals.pactiv.com/ZPPlates/Checklist.htm
CR is offline   Reply With Quote

ARC07

Thanks!
Old 07-08-2010, 01:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Oh no, more plates. Must feed my addiction. Thank you so much for posting that link. Now I have to go find the ones I am missing. Heehee.

heatherwagn

Plates ...
Old 07-09-2010, 05:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

For years for a fun writing assignment when a break from a lot of work is needed but still to get a productive assignment I will break out zoo plates, construction paper, and craft supplies. I allow the children to use the plate as the head and make the rest of the animal. This takes sometime and it's neat to see the children spending so much time making an animal. Of course the next day I actually have them write about their animal

heatherwagn is offline   Reply With Quote

summertime

cute ideas
Old 07-09-2010, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used them for our unit on Oviparous animals and Mammals. I give each child a plate and they complete the worksheet.

My plate is ______________ (the name of the animal). It is ____________ (oviparous or mammal) because __________________ (write a few characteristics).

It makes a cute bulletin board.
summertime is offline   Reply With Quote

ARC07

Thanks for all the great ideas!
Old 07-09-2010, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Keep em coming. I have almost collected all the plates. Only missing about 8 or so now.

123rabbit

math ideas too
Old 07-13-2010, 12:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We went to a workshop where they used the zoo plates for math.

Making math equations-

Some plates have two ears/pockets at the top. Put counters inside each ear/pocket. So, 3+2= Pull down the counters to solve for the answer of 5. Either ears for fact families: 2+3=5. (addition)

Some plates have two claws or pockets at the bottom (subtraction). Put a number of counters at the top/face 10 beans.
Take out 3 put them in the first bottom pocket/claw. So, 10-3 = 7
Then, do the other fact family. 10-7=3

The kids love the math games. They can even make their own problems. Use foam pieces for quieter counters.

Needless to say-I have several totes full of these cool plates in my garage. I love them. They are so cute and useful in the classroom.
I also put them around my math wall as peek overs to spotlight different sections.

When, I had a jungle theme I also put them around my calendar and used them with my rules.

I used animal cups to hold my stars for the behavior chart and to hold counters and other materials.

123rabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
letty26

letty26

jungle theme
Old 04-09-2011, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

which plate pack has the jungle themed animals ive been looking for them.