First Grade

Daily 5 Work on Writing

>

labbymom

Daily 5 Work on Writing
Old 12-18-2010, 09:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi all,
I am using the Daily 5 in my class while I am doing reading groups but am having trouble with the work on writing time frame.
What kinds of writing are your kids doing during this time. I have a separate Wirter's Workshop time so my kids are getting lots of writing opportunitites
Right now I have fun paper, postcards, and some fill-in-the-blank books (especially for my lower kiddos) a nd they all have a notebook that they can also write in. My kids just aren't all that engaged at this area and so I am looking for some advice. My other issue is that I am coming down from 2nd grade where the kids were more able to do writing independently.
HELP!!! I don't want to trash this portion of Daily 5 but I need to tweak it up a bit.

labbymom is offline   Reply With Quote

calecolts1

Old 12-18-2010, 11:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I think it really just depends on the kids and theie interests. This is my second year with Daily 5 and last year's kids never wanted to do Work on Writing and when they did they just drew pictures. This year it is one of the favorite choices for the kids, and I have done nothing different. Like you I have provided them with fancy paper and little books. We do 'Being a Writer" as our writing program and we do this at a different time of the day than during Daily 5, so my expectations for the work coming out of Work on Writing aren't that high. Nevertheless, the quality this year is really good, so go figure. I wouldn't worry about it and keep it as a choice anyway. The ones that want to pick it will and the one's that don't it's not a big deal since you have a different time that you actually teach writing.
calecolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs_B

Old 12-18-2010, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I make books with a colored construction paper cover and two sheets of picture top writing paper stapled in the middle so it ends up being 4 pages. My kids are so into writing stories we constantly run out of these books. I give them time to share their stories and I think being able to get up and read it to the class is a big help in their motivation. That also spurs on the others to want to participate. The kids are so cute, they stop and say, "Does anyone have a prediction they want to share?" I love it!
Jenn
www.finallyinfirst.blogspot.com
Mrs_B is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 12-19-2010, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My kids LOVE sticker stories. I set out a manilla envelope full of stickers and allow them to pick 3-4. They put the 3-4 stickers on their paper and draw a scene around the stickers. Once their scene is drawn, then they write a story to go with their picture. This last week, I had Christmas themed foam stickers and the kids went to town. I usually keep the sticker stories out for at least 2 weeks because the kids usually don't finish in just one center rotation, however, even if they do finish, they LOVE to start a new story.

Top 10 lists are always fun. On one side of the paper, There are 10 boxes for kids to draw pictures in. The other side of the paper is lined, and numbered 1-10. On the top I have the title: Top 10 __________. They can fill in the blank (i.e. Top 10 Animals) or I fill it in for them, and they write the names of their top 10 (whatever the topic is). On the back, they draw a picture of each thing that was on their list.

Little books, letters, postcards, etc.

Sometimes, I also do fill in the blank booklets. For example, in November I had them fill in a booklet titled, I am thankful for ______________. There were about 7 pages and they had to fill in the blanks with what they were thankful for. I gave them a list of words to work from if they got stuck for ideas. They then drew pictures to go with the words. They enjoy these as well.

Picture prompts are always fun. Set out a folder of photos/pictures or clip art and let them choose one. They write about the picture (I give them examples of stories I have written so they get an idea of what they can do).

Journal prompts/Story Starters are great as well. You can find many online.

Hope this helps.
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

RCKN

Love Work on Writing time!
Old 12-19-2010, 11:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is year 5 for Daily 5 for me. I've tweaked along the way...but this year I have finally hit the jackpot with Work on Writing time. My class has a separate Writer's Workshop time where they write books based on Katie Wood Ray's methods...along with some 6 trait mini lessons thrown in. Here are the choices my kiddos have for work on writing time -- we actually talk about it as work on writing (about my reading) time -- as some of the choices fall into that category.

1. Make a Poster -- children do this based on a non-fiction book that they have read. They have a template from me in their reading folder to refer to. Their poster must have a title, 2 facts, etc. They leave their poster on my desk if they want to meet with me to look for a picture online for their poster versus drawing one.

2. Fill out a Did you Know? sheet. They list the source (again non-fiction) and tell a fact or two about their book. Many students also add an illustration.

3. Write a letter. I provide stationary that I make on the computer so that it has lines in the right places. I expect them to follow the model we have practiced using the 5 parts of a friendly letter.

4. Make a list. These are priceless! I've taught the children how to number or bullet when making a a list. They always put a title on their list. I crack up when I get to see their lists on whatever topic they choose. Last week I read a grocery list...there were lots of snack items on that list! I had another student list all of the things she needed to make a snowman.

5. Students fill out a Book For Sale page! When students read a good book I ask them to let their classmates know about it by filling out a sheet about it. On Mondays when we do our "Shop for Books" time (changing books in our book box time) -- students who have filled out one of these sheets share it with the class...other students are allowed to preview the book to see if it is a good fit book for their book box.

6. Students can choose to fill out a "Today I read" sheet. They mark what type of connection they had (text to self, etc.) and they write a sentence or two about their connection.

I hope these help! I was in the same place as you, a couple of years ago with work on writing. These things have really beefed up that portion of daily 5 for my class.

Last edited by RCKN; 12-20-2010 at 05:43 AM.. Reason: added idea
RCKN is offline   Reply With Quote

Green1

Another consideration
Old 12-20-2010, 07:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I also do Daily 5 in my room and have a separate Writer's Workshop so, at least at this point in the year, I do not get too concerned about the writing during Daily 5. Many of my students love to choose it, they are engaged and yes, alot of them are doing mostly "illustrations" although I encourage (strongly) them to remember to add words to tell about their illustrations.

It is important to realize that for young children, their drawings are a form of writing, so don't sell those short. I believe it was Thomas Newkirk who wrote about drawings as an important form of communication.

Other times during the day/week - my students are writing on assigned types of writing/ topics, so I really feel strongly that Daily 5 writing time be writing of their choice - not mine.

Certainly as the year progresses, my expectations increase as to adding text to their illustrations.

Just something to consider . . . .
Green1 is offline   Reply With Quote

RCKN

Student Choice
Old 12-21-2010, 04:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I too believe student choice is important, as that is a large part of the Daily 5 framework. I am always amazed at what my students create. I am looking at a poster of Earth on my desk right now...unbelievable illustration and facts!
RCKN is offline   Reply With Quote