Help

TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

Sesame Place

>

wildcatkid

Sesame Place
Old 01-05-2011, 09:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Ever been there (in Pennsylvania)? I'm thinking about it for this summer for my 3 and 4 year olds. Would it be worth an 11 hour drive?

Orwell

Same here
Old 01-05-2011, 09:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We've been curious about that too! Anyone know?

RockinOutMath

Old 01-05-2011, 09:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We took our boys (only a 2.5 hr drive for us) 3 years in a row. It is fun and great for kids under 8. Is it worth an 11 hour drive? Not for me, unless you are planning to do other things in the area.

Mrs. B

I've been!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I've been to SP twice now. The first time I went was about 3.5 years ago and I went with my nephew, sis and mom. This past summer my DH and I took our son (2.5 at the time) and our nephew (5.5). We live in Eastern CT, so it is about a 4 hour drive for us. I love SP! I think it is a great park for small kids. My son was able to go on the majority of the rides.
This is a review that I wrote for another msg board about SP:
We stayed at the Holiday Inn & Suites in Newtown which is less than 10 minutes to S.P. I specifically booked this hotel because I wanted a suite so that the kids could have their own space to sleep in and we could have ours. The hotel was close by and affordable. Had a great pool and comp. breakfast too.

Sesame Place seems expensive at first, when you look at the price for 4 people (about $200) but that is for 2 day tickets. On Sunday, we arrived at the park and got our tickets. We went in and changed into bathing suits and did many of the water rides for the rest of the day. Had a blast! Definitely need water shoes.

Monday we did all the dry rides and also had lunch with the characters which was the definite highlight. DS was so so so excited to meet everyone. All the characters came around to every table, so you could meet everyone. It's a buffet lunch. I think it was about $85 for 4 of us. It's expensive, but totally worthwhile. We also watched the parade and got in line to watch one of the shows but DS was being a pain in line, so we decided to leave.

It was super hot, so I brought in a water cooler which was essential for us. Drinks are expensive, but they do have water fountains, so I just refilled through the day. They do allow you to bring a small food cooler in too, but we didn't have space to carry that. DS is at the perfect age to enjoy the park and be excited about it. He could go on most of the rides and was just so excited for everything. My nephew liked the rides, but was less excited about the characters (however this was his 3rd time there, so maybe he was just "over it".)

If you have any specific questions I'd be happy to answer them!

Eduk8r1

Yes!
Old 01-05-2011, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We took my two year old daughter there over Memorial Day weekend last year and it was fabulous! She adored being able to hug all her favorite characters and the park has so many rides for little ones. I'd say the ages between 3 and 5 are the best years to go to maximize the riding capabilities. The shows were great and the park was super clean!

If you are going to drive 11 hours, though, I'd also suggest going to the Crayola Factory and the Please Touch Musuem, both of which are within a 25-30 min. drive from Sesame Place. We spent 2 days at Sesame and probably could have spent another one. Happy to answer any other questions you have!

choppie70

Old 01-05-2011, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We went to SP last summer and our 3 YO DD loved it! I liked how all the rides were suitable for young kids and the adults could ride on most of them with the child.

My DD and niece did not like the characters though! Big Bird was about 7 feet tall, when he came to shake their hands they both screamed.

I found that it was very clean and well staffed.

We live and Maine and would not have taken the time to go, but DH's family lives about 2 miles away and we were able to get free passes from a family member who worked there last summer.

You are able to leave the park and come back , so we went to Chick Fil A to eat, then returned to the park for the rest of the afternoon.

kali

over 25 years ago
Old 01-05-2011, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My parents took me there when I was a little kid. I still remember loving it and being so thankful that I got to go. I bet it is much larger and grand now! We lived in PA at the time. Like someone else said, that is a long drive so you would probably want to build a vacation around it where you could visit some other sights of interest.

Skelch

Thanks...
Old 01-05-2011, 05:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am so happy to see such great reports about SP. We are taking my son this summer who will be 2, along with my sister and her family (2 and 4 years). We are SOOO excited about it. Still need to look into accomodations, and other things in the area to do. I know about Crayola, but need to look more into the Please Touch Museum. All seem great! Thanks!