Help

First Grade

Writing Ideas for 1st grade...

>

cali2teach

Writing Ideas for 1st grade...
Old 01-14-2011, 09:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What are your students currently working on as writing projects. I need ideas beyond the journal promts, and written stories. Thanks!

cali2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

annie ann

My kids...
Old 01-15-2011, 03:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

are working on small moments. They are learning how to stretch a moment out in their lives. I am teaching them how to add character, setting, action, feelings and thoughts and people talking. Our school follows Lucy Calkins units of study. There is a room on proteacher on it ( i forgot the name, just scroll down to the bottomyou can't miss it). Also one of the fabulous teachers of proteacher has posted mini-lessons there.
annie ann is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 01-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We are moving from small moments into our non fiction unit. We will begin by writing our own how-to books. Then, we will begin our All About books (after learning about the many features of non-fiction texts, the kids will research an animal and write a book about their animal using non-fiction conventions...i.e. table of contents, diagrams, labels, etc.).
After our non-fiction unit, we will move into our poetry unit. We also have pen pals in Canada that we write to once a month. Plus, I throw in the occassional odds and ends writing projects that go along with our themes. Just this last week, we read some riddles and wrote our own animal riddles. They turned out really cute.
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

ktmom

Non-fiction writing
Old 01-21-2011, 05:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We are creating non-fiction books about Penguins. These are relatively simple and just focused on writing complete sentences, stating facts gathered from a variety of media sources, and creating an interesting piece of writing. Later we will create non-fiction books about plants. These have a table of contents, chapters, illustrations with captions, bold print, glossary and an index. They are pretty labor intensive but fun. After that, we do a unit on creating types of poetry.

I love writing!!
ktmom is offline   Reply With Quote