Help

First Grade

Compound Words

>

1stgrteacher2

Compound Words
Old 02-16-2011, 12:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone know of a game using compound words? Has anyone made one or seen one on the blogs or Teacher Pay Teacher?

Thanks!

1stgrteacher2 is offline   Reply With Quote

mamamoo23

compound words
Old 02-16-2011, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Really cute idea that I have done before is having each child come up with one compound word and have them draw a picture of that item like a baseball or hotdog or any compound word and write the word on the picture. Then they cut the picture in half where the two words combine. They then glue the two parts beside each other on a piece of construction paper. It makes for a nice hall display or compound word display in the room for kids to reference to. I hate that I don't have a picture of this. It looks much better than I can describe.
mamamoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote

luv2tchkds

Compound words
Old 02-16-2011, 04:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

One activity that I have done in the past is a foldable. Take a piece of paper and tri fold it. On the inside is the compound word. On the outside two folds are the two words and the pictures. For instance, butter and fly (with pictures). On the inside write butterfly and draw the new picture. Hope this helps.
luv2tchkds is offline   Reply With Quote

calecolts1

Old 02-16-2011, 04:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have one on my blog. It's snowflakes with words on them. They match and make the compound words, then there is a recording sheet where they write the word and illustrate.
1stgradelearningstars.blogspot. com
calecolts1 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 02-16-2011, 08:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I do a compound word hunt around my room. I printed off some compound word task cards (found here on PT) and cut each card in half, so the two words were split. Each card also has a picture on it to help the kids. I hid the cards around the room and gave the kids the other half of each card. They had to go find the match for their card(s). After they found their matches, I had them go back to their tables and write a sentence to go with each compound word that they made/found. I had so many cards, that each of my kids got 5-6 cards to find matches to. They loved it!

teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote