TEACHERS' LOUNGE ARCHIVE

What do you think?

>

anon4ths

anon4ths

What do you think?
Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am currently receiving assistance from WIC to help with our grocery bills. I'm pretty embarrassed to admit this, but right now, we simply need the help. Here's our story: I chose to take off from work to stay home with our baby. I wasn't fired or laid off or anything, it was my choice. At the time I made that choice we were expecting DH to get a raise and a promotion. Well, he didn't get either. In fact, for a while we thought he may loose his job due to budget cuts but we were lucky and he kept his job but no promotion & no raise. (Although things keep going back & forth so he may get a promotion and/or raise at some point.)
I don't talk about this with anyone, but my sister does know I am receiving help. She says I am wrong for accepting government assistance since I chose to not work. I see her point, but that was not my intention. I did not take off from work expecting to need assistance. Unfortunately our circumstances changed and right now we need the help. What do you all think? Am I wrong for accepting this help?

javamomma

Honestly?`
Old 06-07-2011, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, you are choosing to stay home and those of us that work are paying for it for you.
I am not trying to be mean but that is facts.

CLD2

Wic
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I disagree with your sister. You have contributed to society by being a tax paying citizen. If you CHOOSE to stay home with your child and QUALIFY for assistance, you should GLADLY accept it!

nucleus

I don't see anything wrong
Old 06-07-2011, 07:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Maybe I'm not thinking all things through, but I don't see anything wrong. You didn't set out to defraud the system. You have fallen on a hard time. I'm okay with my tax dollars helping you out for a bit. If you are still in this situation 6 months to a year from now then you need to take actions towards finding work.

teacherpippi

Old 06-07-2011, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You guys need the help right now. I see nothing wrong with getting help when you need it. It's not an abuse of the system to do so.

bookgeek59

Old 06-07-2011, 07:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

If you'd already put things in motion to be home with the baby, THEN your husband's employment/pay situation changed, I don't have a problem with you using WIC for short-term assistance. Like a PP said, if more than 6 months or so down the road you still have not sought work and are still on assistance, I'd have problem with it.
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Since you asked for honest opinions...

First, I think WIC is a great program. I think it is much better than food stamps because you get actual vouchers for only healthy foods based on food needs (pregnant, baby, family etc.) at the time. You also have access to education classes and resources like immunizations etc.

Since staying home is a convenience in your case, I think using it only temporarily while you look for a job or get back on your feet is acceptable. If you continue to stay home and use government assistance then it is really no different than anyone else using government aid w/o a true disability.

Also maybe you can pay if forward at some point by volunteering for something like Meals on Wheels, or another government volunteer program.

Quote:
You have contributed to society by being a tax paying citizen. If you CHOOSE to stay home with your child and QUALIFY for assistance, you should GLADLY accept it!
I understand what you are saying, but if everyone that has paid taxes at sometime, quits their job and uses government resources, we would be in big trouble. It needs to be for emergency situations or for the truly needy/disabled. That is why we are in such a state of debt.

renielen

Old 06-07-2011, 07:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Yes, you are choosing to stay home and those of us that work are paying for it for you.
I do not agree with javamomma at all!

Quote:
Unfortunately our circumstances changed and right now we need the help. What do you all think? Am I wrong for accepting this help?
You are not wrong for accepting help. You chose to stay home because you thought your husband was going to get a raise. Don't be embarrassed for getting help.

Quote:
If you are still in this situation 6 months to a year from now then you need to take actions towards finding work.
I agree with nucleus. I hope everything works out for you.

rubyanne

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I don't think you should feel bad because:

1) You paid taxes and your husband does too. These programs are there to help and you have (and will again) but your money into the system.

2) circumstances changes. You did not choose to stay home expecting to need assistance.

3) You won't always use it. It is short term help.

4) Our country makes it really hard to afford to stay home. Other countries have longer maternity leave policies but our country does not.

I used WIC, medicaid, and for a short time welfare because of unforeseen circumstances. That did not make me someone that mooched off the system for years and kept having babies like some people think. I think the big problem people have is with people using help long term versus as a temporary assistance. I worked hard and got off of assistance. The programs are there to help when we need them. People will judge.

Last edited by rubyanne; 06-07-2011 at 08:47 AM..

phantomteach

Old 06-07-2011, 08:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Absolutely not! You've made your child your priority, and rightfully so! I would be as thrifty and responsible as possible with the income that your husband is bringing in, and enjoy raising your child! Hopefully, things will get better, and you won't have to be on it anymore. As long as your husband continues to work, I don't see a problem with it. I know this sounds old fashioned, I guess-but I think if a mother wants to stay home with her baby, then she should as long as the child isn't suffering from it in anyway.

ecsmom

Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I received WIC after my 3rd child was born. I received it for both him and his 3 yr old brother so I got the formula and baby food as well as general dairy, juice, ect. My DH actually made a decent living at the time but there was some clause about preemies and both the boys were premature. I was also working part time when I received it.
A change of fortune can occur at any time to any of us. Don't feel a bit guilty about it!

shuntyswife

Old 06-07-2011, 08:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I'm curious to know if you are actively looking into going back to work or plan to?

I would love to be able to stay home with my baby when he comes in October, but unfortunately that is not an option for us. We need my salary. I don't think this means that I'm not putting my baby first, I think it means I AM putting him and DD first.

Just curious...

I will say I was a single mom for 5 years and did temporarily receive assistance as we needed it to live, but I always worked, so I am by no means against it. It is a wonderful program when it is not being abused.
Guestpost

Guestpost

Old 06-07-2011, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I don't see anything wrong with what you're doing as a temporary help.
Where I live in Hawaii it amazes me how many people I know that are on ALL forms of government assistance - wic, snap, state insurance. They see this as normal and don't expect to ever get off. And these are not what you think of as "welfare families"- the husbands have jobs, many of the wives are educated (several were formerly teachers) but choose not to work. I used to stay home with my kids and homeschool, when my husband's income supported it. When that was no longer the case I went back to teaching. It is hard for me that many of my friends who still stay home with their kids and homeschool talk about how important it is to sacrifice financially to be at home, but they could never do it without accepting all this government money. They tell me I should apply, too. I don't feel like it is right when I can work, but if I didn't feel so strongly about it it would be so tempting. And the amounts from snap are high- my friend with 2 kids gets $800 a month for her groceries! The state insurance for kids covers EVERYTHING- dental, medical, vision, with NO co pays. That was the one thingwe did have for a brief time and it Was really hard to give up- now that I'm working as a teacher my kids still see the same doctors yet I pay HUGE premiums each month, and now have to pay co pays, they only reimburse a portion of vision, etc. And the dental coverage is much worse. The kids had it much better on quest! And I am a "professional" supposedly making a decent salary.

Tigger97

Old 06-07-2011, 09:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I don't see a problem wih you receiving wic. It's to help the mother and the baby get nutritional supplements. I received it when I was pregnant and through the first year of my child's life. Both my husband and I were working full time. However I have a medical condition that qualified me for the support. I used it then and I would again. I see nothing wrong with this type of supplementing if it's used to help mother and chlild.
oldermommy

oldermommy

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I think for a short two months because it was unplanned would be okay. otherwise I don't agree at all. I have many friends that would love to stay home with their kids but they can't afford it. Why should they work to pay for you to stay home? I had to wait to have kids and be an older mom until I could afford them and we could afford for me to stay home.

scrapbookgal

Old 06-07-2011, 10:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

In my opinion, I think the people who have abused the WIC and food stamps systems are the reasons why everyone has such a negative view on people who use it.

In my opinion, people like you are the ones who should be using it. You are an example of a family trying to do the best for your children, not trying to get things for free and use your money for frivolous things.

If I was in your position, I would be making a conscious effort to reduce other expenses. Couponing, shopping at Aldis, clothes shopping at Goodwill, etc.

saphire

i think you
Old 06-07-2011, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

should continue to use it!!! The reason these programs were set up was to help families in need. You worked and paid into the system therefore you should benefit. Whether you chose to stay home and be a mom or continued to work, doesn't matter.

CLD2

Response
Old 06-07-2011, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

New1stTeacher,

True if we all quit our jobs, we would be in a terrible state as a society. Yet, she qualifies for the WIC. So until the qualifications change, if we all quit our job and QUALIFY, there is really nothing to be said!
Wrong

Wrong

This is wrong.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

You all do realize that it is YOUR hard-earned dollars they are using? I see nothing wrong with using the program for a month or two while you find work, but anything more than that is taking advantage. There are LOTS of moms who would like to stay home with their children, but instead are at work so they can support them. If your situation changed, then it is your responsibility to go back to work and support your family. It isn't fair for the rest of us to stay work so you can stay home.

Kim/4th/SC

Old 06-07-2011, 11:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

We made the decision for me to stay at home with our first child when he was born 21 years ago. At that point in our careers, my husband and I made almost the same amount of money. My being at home essentially cut our income by 50%. We were able to weather the loss of income by living frugally and cutting out extras like cable, vacations, saving for retirement, etc. To save even more I used coupons like crazy, dried clothes on a clothes line, and we had at least one meatless meal a week. We made it through without any assistance.

Personally, I wouldn't have felt right taking any assistance given that this was what I chose to do. In my opinion, the consequences of MY choices are MY responsibility.

Kim

JacobsMommy

I agree with your sister.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I agree with your sister. You chose not to work. You took a gamble by putting all of your eggs in your DH's basket based on a suspected promotion.
You made your bed, so to speak, it is time to lie in it and make some serious sacrifices (shutting of the internet, for example).

In my opinion, you and your DH should have looked at all possible circumstances (including the one you are currently in) before deciding to stay home. If I read correctly, your household is making NO LESS money than when you chose to stay home. You haven't fallen on hard times due to a lay-off or demotion...that is what the program is for. Not someone who chose to stay at home before having the means to do so responsibly.

My DS is disabled. My DH and I both teach. Our son is not eligible for ONE, SINGLE program. I have been told to my face by state workers that it is "because others abuse the system." They have also informed me that if I quit, DS can receive every benefit offered by the state. Abuse of government programs due to irresponsibility, ignorance, and/or laziness is a hot button for me.

You chose this to stay at home and be with your little one, be grateful for the time you have with your child. I think it is wonderful that you are getting to experience it...but in reality, you can't afford it. I hope you choose to return to work soon.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you asked.

multigrade

Old 06-07-2011, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I don't think you're abusing the system.
We didn't qualify awhile back, even though we were unemployed for a full year. We were self employed, so we didn't get unemployment insurance, either. If you qualify, great.

mia98

Wic
Old 06-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

No you are not wrong!! You could go back to work and put your baby in a daycare... but in my opinion you will never get that time back! You should not feel guilty, My husband was in the Military and we had to use Wic, Iím not embarrassed one bit that the freedom people enjoy is supplied by soldiers who cannot even afford formula to fed their baby. By the way we lived in a tiny apartment by base, one car, and still needed help.
You will go back to work one day, that is what the government help was intended for, people who needed short term assistance, now a day people think once youíre on you never get off, and I know that is the case sometimes but thatís not how it was designed.

klarabelle

Old 06-07-2011, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

This subject bothers me, I am sick to death of people who abuse the system and get away with it for years on end. I don't think after working for X amount of years that you are wrong in asking for help if you need it. I do have a problem with those who have never worked a day in their lives except to spread their l***; and have children that they cannot provide for.

Quote:
how important it is to sacrifice financially to be at home, but they could never do it without accepting all this government money.
Sorry but I do not see these parents sacrificing a damn thing but adult socialization. My cousin tried to give me the same BS about getting pregnant as a single parent, she had no job but wanted a baby. If you can't provide for a child without assistance than maybe you should rethink your plan.

As to others, just because someone chooses to stay home and you did not don't judge her for taking assistance. I know most will not understand where I am coming from...I guess I feel that if anon4ths has worked and put into the system through her taxes take advantage, you at least earned the money that is now supporting you.

vateacher

Old 06-07-2011, 01:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

Some of you are being so harsh! It's not like the OP said "i know! I'll have a ton of babies and sit on my hiney all day doing nothing and let the government pay for it." She did what she thought was best for her child which was at the time, staying at home while her husband worked. Things happen and WIC/other programs were designed to help people back on their feet in times of need. It appears that this is a time of need for her and her family. She seems to feel bad enough as it is but she has to think of her children. She isn't saying she won't go back to work eventually or that her husband's situation might not improve and I don't think she intends to stay on WIC any longer than she needs to.

Anon, I hope things look up for you soon. You need the help, take it.

And for the person who said she could make sacrifices by getting rid of the internet, perhaps she has given that up and is using a public access computer or free wifi. You just never know.

timeforbed

Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Does your husband make enough money for your family to be able to survive without assistance? Are you doing everything you can to earn extra money and cut out the frills?

I used food banks when things were tough. I also worked a minimum wage job at night. Made and sold quilts. Babysat. Tutored. Recycled cans. Cut wood and sold it. Yard sales. We did everything we could to scrap by so I could stay at home with my son until he was school age. And now I give back to the food bank all the time. (I have to say, we absolutely enjoyed that time of our lives. It became a game of outwitting the money demon.)

Staying home with your child is a tough decision, but it is a decision. A choice. Government assistance is for people who for some reason can't make the decision to have less money or who need it temporarily as help along the way towards improving their lives.

I am with your sister on this one. Sorry.

Orwell

Shocked
Old 06-07-2011, 02:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

I am shocked and sickened that so many people justify this!

Our school system gives out bonuses to teachers each summer. This year, teahcers were told our bonus would be equal to or greater than last year's bonus. Unfortunately, that was not the case; it was smaller than anticipated. Disappointing, but it didn't shake my household finances because I didn't spend money I didn't have in the bank. However, other teachers I know rushed out and made big purchases in anticipation of the larger bonus. According to the logic of many previous posters, we should then provide free meals to the teachers because 1. they have paid taxes 2. they didn't anticipate needing government assistance before their summer toys were purchased.....it wasn't their fault the economy sucks, right?

Yeah, right! I doubt any of you would think it right for the American public to assist these people. Why is the OP any different???

To the OP--
You've done the same thing. You spent your husband's money before he had it. You made that choice. You put yourself in that boat. By giving up your job, in order stay at home, you spent the new income before it existed.

It was a foolish and irresponsible CHOICE to quit your job before you knew. beyond any doubt, that you had that extra income. Now, we are expected to pay for your choice. Your poor choice.

As teachers, we find dismay that our students feel entitled to things in life. You paid taxes? That makes you entitled to WIC? Sheesh!!

I also have the feeling that your sister likely knows more details and she still disagrees with your choice. There is a reason you came to a public forum to get opinions; it is likely that you, too, have some guilt over this....otherwise, why ask for opinions?

I truly am happy that you are getting to spend so much time with your baby. It is time you will never get back and you deserve to enjoy each and every second of it. But in order to do this, you need to be the one to make sacrifices, not society

Now, if you will excuse me, I am going to go purchase a lottery ticket and quit my job. Luckily, it seems that many of you won't mind helping me out if I don't win.

pro/new2grade

Wrong, wrong, wrong.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Another vote for your sister. This is wrong. You made a choice to voluntarily leave your job to stay home with your child when you knew your current income was not sufficient to support your family. You counted on money that was not there and it now is not there. Had you relied on savings, or family support until you got back on your feet, that is your own business and this would not be up for discussion. But when you use a government safety net that is provided by taxpayers like me so that you have a luxury that I do not, I call b*llsh*t. Plenty of PT'ers struggle with money and also struggle with going back to work and putting their children in some type of care situation. That does not make them bad parents, it makes them responsible parent who do what it takes to support their families.

Staying at home and caring for your children is a luxury in America. I think it is wonderful and I wish that I had the opportunity to do so. However, in our society it is a choice only available for the poor and the rich. The middle class just picks up the tab. I have no problem with people sacrificing to stay home with their kids. I have a problem with ME sacrificing so that people who CHOOSE to have children and not work can have that luxury too. When people take government assistance when it is not an emergency, that is just plain wrong. Quitting work after "planning" for raises and promotions but without any actual loss of jobs or drop in income does not constitute an emergency. What do we say in our classrooms "a lack of planning on your part does not make an emergency for me" except when the Government (read that as middle class taxpayer) is there to pick up the tab. No need to plan.

Some perspective: My DH does not make a lot of $ and we have sacrificed when each of our children were born so that I could stay home as long as possible. We saved first by living frugally, then we crunched the numbers and made sacrifices where necessary. We did not have cellphones (yes, they were around but we couldn't afford the monthly bill), we had no cable, and no internet after DS #3 and while I was off with my 4th.

To the pp's who feel this and other posts are harsh --- annon4this ask for opinions about this very situation and people are weighing in. It is not as if the OP casually mentioned this as part of another vent or post and people are jumping on her. She asked and while no one but the OP truly knows the situation, I feel that the OP knows that what she is doing is in the gray area or she would not have posted.

eliza4one

been thinking about this all day
Old 06-07-2011, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

Only you know whether you truly 'deserve' to accept help. Understand this post comes from long thought and 25 years of watching my brother struggle to survive with as little government help as possible. (His choice).

*Are you able bodied?

*Are you able to work, whether that be taking in an extra child to
babysit, tutoring, getting a weekend/part-time job, selling stuff on
e-bay, etc.?

*Have you looked for work in the above?

*In addition to the above 2, have you cut back on every expense
possible and live frugally? Internet, eating out, cutting coupons,
buying 2nd hand, doing without, etc.

*Do you have your own garden to grow your own food?

Think about those things and you may find your answer.

My brother was in a car accident and is a classified as a quadriplegic
(regained some use of his arms). He gets by on 1 meal a day, works as a substitute teacher, has rental property that he manages, no t.v. or internet, does odd jobs as he can (fixing computers, ??? (not sure what else)), has a garden, and does whatever he can to be self-sufficient. In addition, his house is like the soup kitchen...in that he never turns away someone in need. Will feed anyone that needs food and would give someone the shirt off of his back.

He is who I look to when I think of who need/deserve government assistance. The more he does for himself, the less he gets, which is how he wants it. If he could be fully self-sufficient, he would do so in a heartbeat. As it is, he does what he can. Did I mention he lives on 1 meal per day? His pride will not allow him to take if he is able to provide for himself.

Again, only you can decide whether you truly need or deserve government assistance. My brother decided to be as self-sufficient as possible, even though he 'qualified'.

My views are based upon personal experience and are probably more extreme than many on PT.

I do applaud your desire to stay home with your child(ren), as I do believe it to be best. However, there are ways to earn supplemental income while doing so.

jvar87

Old 06-07-2011, 02:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I think it depends.

Since you realized your husband was NOT getting the promotion when you expected it, or since you had fears of him losing his job altogether, have you attempted to get another job, even a part time evening job?

If you have not at least attempted to get a job since you realized the problem, then yes, I think you are in the wrong. There is NO reason you can't try to get a job right now. At the very least, a part time job in the evening (store, restaurant, etc.) would allow you to still stay home with your baby.

If you are in the process of filling out applications as we speak, then by all means, take the help until you get back on your feet.

Just out of curiousity, does the application for qualification ask why you are unemployed / if you are actively seeking employment? If it doesn't, it should.

kitty11710

Old 06-07-2011, 02:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Use the help if it is only temporary...

I'd also like to know if the last three posters who were so strongly against her getting assistance have ever needed unemployment or any type of temporary assistance? If you haven't thank your lucky stars.

Orwell

i know
Old 06-07-2011, 03:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

I know what is like to be in need. I don't know what is like to choose to be there. How is that being missed? It was an assumption that led to a choice that put her in this boat. She wasn't fired or let go. She quit her job. The system played into her hand. Its wrong that she sought after assisstance for a situation that she chose. When she quit her job, they were making the same income as now. She knew the risk and took it without regard to the future. Now we own her mistake.

JacobsMommy

Kitty
Old 06-07-2011, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

I am not sure if I am one of the last three you mentioned, because I am not sure who you feel "strongly disagrees." I will answer your questions just in case I am.

Yes, my family has needed government assistance when my DS was first born. He has three disabilities, but did not and does not qualify for medicaid/ssid because of our income.

In the first four months of my son's life, we were looking at medical bills well over $50,000 for just our part. No pregnant woman expects her firstborn to have serious health concerns and we certainly did not save enough to raise a newborn and pay for the unexpected medical bills.

Again, we were turned away because of our income. We were told to our face that if government systems were run the way they are intended to run, we would have easily qualified. It is because of the abusers that we were turned away.

After ENORMOUS battles with insurance companies, state laws, meetings with representatives, letters to senators, family help, local community donations, and the grace of God, we were able to make it through and are no longer in debt. However, there were many months when there was no light at the end of the tunnel finance-wise.

I would like to make it clear, that I feel strongly about people using emergency aid for non-emergency reasons. Having a sick family member, losing a job, a natural disaster, etc. is something that one cannot totally prepare himself for. Having a baby is something you can and should prepare for.

My brother and his gf had a child out of wedlock. His gf and daughter were on WIC and food stamps because she wasn't married and didn't claim my brother's income. He works off-shore and makes over twice as much money as I do. Their household income combined was nearly triple mine. I voiced my honest opinion in that situation as well. That was wrong. They were wrong. They had the means to support my niece and should have.

No matter what, I will always give my honest opinion. Right is right and wrong is wrong. We are a country that ignores and justifies the wrong time and time again. That is why our country is a fiscal disaster.

eliza4one

Old 06-07-2011, 03:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

Quote:
I'd also like to know if the last three posters who were so strongly against her getting assistance have ever needed unemployment or any type of temporary assistance? If you haven't thank your lucky stars.

I can assume that you can figure out how I would feel/what I would do if I ever did need temp. assistance, given the story I just gave about my brother. My brother would love to thank his lucky stars for not having gotten in a car wreck. Unfortunately, he cannot undo what transpired. Regardless, he is as self-sufficient as he can possibly be. I would be no different, as it was how we were raised.

teachnkids

Old 06-07-2011, 04:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

You made a decision based on something you thought was going to happen. I think I might win the lottery. Should I quit my job? I know that's extreme, but you banked on getting something you didn't have in an economy that's not good.

I totally get wanting to be home with your baby. I wanted to be also, but my DH was laid off 3 weeks after my DS was born so I had to go back to work. We definitely could have qualified for lots of free aid, but we did not take it. We scrimped and saved every way we could think of.

If you are actively looking for a job, I'm ok with the fact that you jumped before you had the DH $$ in your pocket. If however you are just sitting around enjoying your baby and have not cut out the extras--cable, expensive cell phone plans, etc. then I think it's wrong. Ideally we all want to be able to stay home with our baby, but reality often forces us to do otherwise.

pro/new2grade

kitty11710
Old 06-07-2011, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

Quote:

Thankfully, no, I have not needed assistance in my life but I do have a close relative that did temporarily due to an emergency and as a child my parents had a spell in the 70's when my dad was disabled on his job. I believe that assistance is for an emergency and for those who can not support themselves for many reasons (mental, physical, job loss, family medical emergency, etc....) I feel strongly as other posters that this resource is not there for many who truly need it because others choose to take advantage of it as a luxury. This is not free money that just appears, it comes out of the paychecks of thousands of working people. There are a lot of things I would choose to do if someone else were paying for it. I don't need to have been on assistance to understand sacrifice and doing without (maybe that is why I haven't yet needed it - even through a period of illness and DH's job loss)

1956BD

Can family help you?
Old 06-07-2011, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

Can you take care of another child at home to bring in money?

Or maybe there is something else you can do to make a little money while staying at home with your child?

Or consider asking the church for help. Maybe they have a part time job they can offer you. You never know.

Have you thought about looking at your budget again and making cuts?
You might even seek some professional advise. They can be very helpful.

If you can make it through this difficult time on your own it will make you stronger and more independent.

I wish you and your family the best whatever you decide.

me41

Old 06-07-2011, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

Sorry friends, I think this is fake post to get you all worked up.

tampamom

Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

sniff..sniff...sniff... I agree that something doesn't smell right here! Obviously it worked!

dramacentral

Old 06-07-2011, 05:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #40

I think the true problem here is that the cost of living in America has absolutely skyrocketed, to the point where families need two incomes just to get by. It's a disgrace that a supposedly respectable job (especially a soldier, as someone's post mentioned) doesn't earn enough to support a family. This despite all the "cheap" goods being manufactured in China and cheap corn syrup infused "food" in supermarkets and fast food joints. What is the point of living in the richest country in the world if normal people can't afford anything? I think we're well on our way to becoming a third world nation if we don't turn things around, fast.

As for being on any assistance program, I always think about my mother's advice for when I felt like taking a "mental health" day from school or work - "don't say you're sick, or you'll make it happen". Maybe it's superstitious, but I wouldn't tempt fate by creating a self fulfilling prophecy. You never know what life has in store for you.

jvar87

Fake?
Old 06-07-2011, 06:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #41

What is leading some to think this is fake? The thought never crossed my mind - things like this happen all the time in life though. I did question at first how the poster could even qualify, but I think it is easier to qualify with children - perhaps there is more than one in the picture or the housing costs in the area are very high.
new1stteacher

new1stteacher

Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #42

Quote:
I did question at first how the poster could even qualify, but I think it is easier to qualify with children
WIC allows a higher amount of income because they are not giving out money. They give actual food vouchers that are very specific, classes, and immunizations.

Here are the guidelines: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapp...lines09-10.htm

If either myself or my hubby lost our jobs, we would qualify.

BioAdoptMom3

Old 06-07-2011, 06:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #43

If you were still choosing to stay home when your child is old enough to go to school I would have a problem with it. As long as you are raising your baby or toddler and your DH is working, I don't see a problem at all.

Nancy

tripteach

fine by me
Old 06-07-2011, 06:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #44

I so agree with Nancy. WIC is not that much of an assistance program anyway. If it allows her to stay home with her baby for a while, so be it. I think all mothers should be afforded the opportunity to stay home for the year after (or more) their child is born. I think the way the economic world is today, one that forces young women to go to work- even when they do not want to, is just wrong. My mother was able to stay home on a lowly construction workers salary and we never ever went without. Two parents HAVING to work full-tme is just too much. Why are some of you slamming a person that is staying home and simply using some assistance that she QUALIFIES for?

I chose to stay home with my babies until kindergarten and I will never regret that decision. EVER. I just feel sorry for all the moms who want to stay home and don't dare b/c they might have to go on public assistance for a short time- ridiculous! I would rather pay for those moms to be on assistance than for the ones that abuse the system for years and years and years or don't even use the money for what is was intended.

jvar87

Old 06-07-2011, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #45

Quote:
WIC allows a higher amount of income because they are not giving out money. They give actual food vouchers that are very specific, classes, and immunizations.

Here are the guidelines: http://www.fns.usda.gov/wic/howtoapp...lines09-10.htm
Thanks for the link. It's interesting to me that most locations have the same maximum amount that can be earned, even though cost of living in some places (even with cutting back) would make it impossible to survive with incomes higher than some of those. How sad for people who really need help and are unable to get it