User Name forgot?
Password

Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More

Missing?

>

J.Elaine

Missing?
Old 03-03-2007, 05:34 PM

I've missed being here blogging. I'm going to try to return. I feel I never have enough time to come here to write, but reflection is valuable and time well-spent. So . . . I am returning to this friendly, safe place to think and write and reflect and plan and vent (if necessary).

We are getting ready for the BIG tests coming up, and we are working very hard. We lost 7 days of instruction because of snow and ice. That stresses me out more than just a bit. We are testing the end of March and the beginning of April with the expectation that we've taught everything that needs to be taught for the whole entire school year. I think I will just be thankful when it's all over with, so we can get back to "normal." And what is normal anyway?

More later . . .
J.Elaine is offline   Reply With Quote
judy

glad to see you again!
Old 03-04-2007, 03:25 PM

I have missed you. I hope that everything is going well for you! Welcome back! I know what you mean about TESTING...our district is going crazy with all of it now. I really just wish it would all go away!
judy is offline   Reply With Quote
J.Elaine

Testing!
Old 03-04-2007, 04:29 PM

Testing! It's not going to go away! I am just longing for the day that it's over for this year. We take 3 state tests -- math, comm.arts, soc.st -- and 1 district test -- science. Hopefully, we won't be "selected" to field test any new assessments. I know my attitude about testing will affect my students attitudes, so I've got to pull myself together and be positive about the whole thing!!!
Easier said than done, right?
judy

THE test
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 AM

On my level we have our bi weekly assessments and then the teranova and math assessments and Dra and all that all year. The state tests are given on the 3rd and 4th levels in my school and it is heart wrenching. Our state tests are some of the most difficult in the country and in our district is expected to test children who come from another country with no language with the same expectations as a native born. It is also crazy because of the way the tests are graded.....it is not a level playing field.
J.Elaine

Dra
Old 03-09-2007, 09:57 PM

Judy,
I have a question about the DRA you mentioned. Next year we will be required to administer DRA's to all our students. How long does it take you to test all your students? How do you manage testing students while others are doing something else? My students will be 5th graders next year. Will it take me longer to test them than it does your students? I'd appreciate any info you could give me about the DRA.
Thanks,
Elaine
P.S. I have students who, because of learning disabilities, have replaced instruction in comm.arts and math. One of them works at a 3rd grade level and the other at early 2nd grade level. They have been getting instruction based on their needs, but now they will be required to take our 4th grade level state assessments. Now, how frustrated do you think they'll be????????? How well do you think they'll perform???????? The whole thing is crazy!
judy

Dra
Old 03-27-2007, 02:20 PM

It will definately take you longer to DRA your group than it does me because they can read much longer text. I usually do my DRA while they are in work stations. I just have to eliminate guided reading during that time. If you are not doing DRA now how do you group your children into guided reading groups? The children read and you have specific notations for misread words, words that are skipped, phrases that are repeated etc....it is kind of a sophiscated running record given on unfamiliar text. If they miss a certain number of words this becomes their instructional level. Tell me about it.....we have children in our self contained classes ( most of our special ed children are mainstreamed with assistance) which are the most needy trying to take that test. Plus, in our state we have subgroups and it is really totally unfair to urban districts.
grade4curlyQ

JElaine
Old 04-05-2007, 03:41 AM

I am wondering if you do RW & GR in your classroom?
grade4curlyQ is offline   Reply With Quote
JKB

Hi J. Elaine!
Old 04-30-2007, 08:43 PM

Like you.......I have been "missing" too......as life's circumstances have consumed a lot of my time. However, I am hoping to find more time to spend here on proteacher......and share ideas with teachers that I admire.....like you!

Hope all is well!

My best,
JKB
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote

>
Readin' + Writin' + 'Rithmetic + So Much More