Help

Fourth Grade

Classroom Management

>

dede

Classroom Management
Old 07-22-2011, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am going on my fifth year teaching at the intermediate grade level. This year I am teaching 4th grade. In the past, I have used Harry Wong's method of classroom management. I would write names on the board for warnings and checks for further disruptions. I do feel comfortable with this method, and it has been effective.
However, I will be working in a new school this year, and I wanted to try something new.
My concern is that names on the board is a little archaic. I am just waiting for the parent who will say I have "humiliated" their child by writing their name down for all to see.
Any ideas, or should I stick with what I know works and deal with possible parent backlash if it comes?

dede is offline   Reply With Quote

Phyllis

If you do a Google search for . . .
Old 07-22-2011, 05:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

proteacher+clip_chart_ebook.pdf

you will find an idea for a wall chart with clothes pins (with student names) that can be moved up and down the chart. It looks really effective to me.
Phyllis is offline   Reply With Quote

BigwigRabbit

Economy
Old 07-22-2011, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Try an economy. They are reinforcive (new word, that) and positive. As long as the "money" has value, you'll spend a lot less time dealing with the disruptions. Impose a quick fine and many problems are solved. You will have the hard cases that you need to get medieval on, but I've found that 99% of students buy into a well designed, fully implemented economy.
BigwigRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote

dwfl

Do you have planners?
Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

My team uses conduct cards. Basically a small monthly calendar the kids keep in their desk or in a pocket chart. When a student needs to be corrected, a check and a letter goes in the box for that date- such as T for excessive talking, HW for missing homework, etc. I use the calendar that is in their planner instead of the little cards, so the parents can see it every night and so the cards aren't one more thing I have to do! Also, if I needed to, I could jot a short note right on their planner. At the end of each month, kids with no checks go to treasure box. I also pick 2 kids a month to be M.V.P.'s (I had a sports theme) for random things, i.e. the cleanest desk, best lit station work, all homeworks turned in, etc. Remembering to focus on the positive every day, giving lots of recognition to the well behaved ones goes a long way, too! Good luck!
dwfl is offline   Reply With Quote

beachaudrey25

Phyllis:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just read the ebook on the Clip Chart method and I love it! I had heard about it in the past but I really think it could be effective when fully implemented.
Thank you for posting the link!!

beachaudrey25 is offline   Reply With Quote

chalkdusty

Old 07-22-2011, 12:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use clothespins on a long dowel rod. The rod has been painted to show the 4 colors we use for conduct. Everyone starts the day on the "good" color and pins are moved when needed. We also have an economy based on this. If they do not move out of the "good" for the day they receive a dollar in our school money. Works good enough and the dowel rod is portable so it can travel to specials, lunch, and recess for teachers there to have some control as well.
chalkdusty is offline   Reply With Quote

lilteacher148

Treasure Chest
Old 07-22-2011, 02:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What types of things do you put in your treasure chest? I used to have one in first grade years ago but I was not (and to be honest still not) sure what to put in them. What do you put in yours that your fourth graders enjoy?
lilteacher148 is offline   Reply With Quote

LovinWhatIDo

Treasure Box
Old 07-22-2011, 07:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Believe it or not 4th graders still like some of the happy meal toys. But I also add special treats ..for example; HW Pass, pencils, candy, small trinkets (from the $1 section at Target,) sit by a friend for a day pass, free computer time, etc.
LovinWhatIDo is offline   Reply With Quote

dede

Thanks
Old 07-23-2011, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Thanks for the great ideas!
dede is offline   Reply With Quote

tensyar

class store for rewards
Old 07-23-2011, 11:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I have used a class store for rewards in K. I will be tweaking it and use tickets for rewards. I will have students visit the store every other friday. I ask parents for toys donations and purchase items at the dollar stores, clearance bins etc. This year I will also have coupons for extra priviledges in class.

tensyar is offline   Reply With Quote

jami8

money
Old 07-25-2011, 05:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This has been so helpful in my classroom management. I love this method!!
jami8 is offline   Reply With Quote