Help

First Grade

Morning Work?

>

IrvingEl

Morning Work?
Old 08-12-2011, 10:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What do you do for morning work? Does anyone do anything besides morning worksheets? I am trying to steer away from doing morning worksheets.

But at the same time I am not sure what my first graders are capable of doing quietly and independently while I am doing things like lunch count, attendance, checking folders ect.

In the past I have had the luxury of a teaching assistant and this year I won't so I am a little nervous!

I love the idea of morning meetings but I think the kids need my guidance on that so it won't be able to happen until after lunch count, attendance, ect.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

What do you do the students do in the mornings right when they come in?

IrvingEl is offline   Reply With Quote

michris

Books
Old 08-12-2011, 11:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have the kids do their fact practice worksheet and they get their heading on their math paper for later in the morning. Some ar faster than others, so they know that they get their book boxes and read, read, read. We talked as a class about how important it is to practice reading and not waste any of our time not reading. They love this "free" time to just read.
michris is offline   Reply With Quote

texasteacher6

Morning Jobs
Old 08-12-2011, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My kids do several things in the mornings. They check out their "Just Right" book first. Then I have a worksheet for them to complete. After they are finished with that, they get a math bin and play games that have already been introduced for reinforcement. On Mondays, they do not have a worksheet, but write about their weekend in their writing notebook.
texasteacher6 is offline   Reply With Quote

elemedteacher

Old 08-12-2011, 12:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I would normally do a handwriting page, but I think I will start with calendar and while they are reading the story of the week quietly, I will do attendance and such. It only takes a few minutes.
elemedteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

nicksgirl

Morning Work
Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We begin each day with a journal response and an analogy. When they are done with that then they are to read silently.

nicksgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

beachmom68

Morning Routine
Old 08-12-2011, 02:03 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My students check in homework, go book "shopping" for just right books and then they read. Also I let the students color poems in their fluency notebooks. Often times the poems that go in their fluency notebooks have illustrations or students get to add their own. But students may not finish so they sometimes use the morning time to do this.
beachmom68 is offline   Reply With Quote

howdyteach

morning journals
Old 08-12-2011, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

My students write in a morning journal(notebook) everyday. This is a great way to keep them quiet, busy, and practicing writing and stretching out words. Later on in the year post a question for them to respond to in their morning journal.
howdyteach is offline   Reply With Quote

Lexigrl

Laminated hundreds board
Old 08-12-2011, 04:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

My kids practice writing their numbers to one hundred using a laminated hundreds board and dry erase markers.
Lexigrl is offline   Reply With Quote

NewTeacher1st

No worksheet baskets
Old 08-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

This year I tried morning baskets. My students are in groups. I have 4 groups. Monday-Thursday each group gets a basket, I rotate every day so they get to everything. My baskets themes are math, phonics, reading, science or social studies, and journal writing.
For now, being the first weeks of school I have very independent things for the kids to do. Example: Math, easy math addition puzzles, tangrams, items for patterns. Phonics, file folder games, wipe off short vowel puzzles, letter tiles with spelling list words to make, word sorts that I have cut and laminated. For reading I will have a basket of "theme" books to match our science, social studies, or that months holidays. Most of these books are beyond their levels for reading but the kids love to look at the pictures and explore them. Science, file folder games, fact books, fact flashcards (from Target dollar bin) Social Studies, I plan to start this later in the year but my goal is to have the students study states and facts about them. I am trying to create a "guideline" for this so it can be independent after modeled. Writing, they have to write at least 3 sentences and then draw a picture about their sentences in composition books. We have a very scripted writing program at my school so this is "free" writing never directed.
Fridays is "make up day" - or they will practice spelling words for the test later on their white boards or just read their AR books.
Its only been a week (I have been planning to do this for 4 years now and am just getting to it) and so far so good. The kids seem to love it. We are working on "noise level" but I am hoping this gets better as the students get more independent with coming in in the mornings, taking AR tests, and getting settled. I spend a lot of time working one on one with these students which gives me less time to monitor the noise.
If anyone has any ideas to help me better my new morning work - please let me know.
I do LOVE LOVE LOVE not having worksheets.
NewTeacher1st is offline   Reply With Quote

texasteacher6

NewTeacher1st
Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thanks for all the ideas! I love the way you cover each subject.

yankees21

Old 08-13-2011, 06:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

How do you have the class select their independent books? Does everyone trade every day? I let them trade 1 day/week. I'm wondering how you control the entire class selecting books at one time...
yankees21 is offline   Reply With Quote

goncama

Staple notebook
Old 08-13-2011, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

I give my students a notebook from Staples for writing. In the beginning of the year, they draw a small picture and then write a sentence about the picture. Of course they write their names as well. As the year progresses, they write more and draw less. They can write about anything.

This gives me insight to their thoughts and likes as well as a tool to save and present at Teacher/Parent conferences. In addition, it helps with report card grades. I save each completed notebook and then pass them back at the end of the year. Proof to each student of their growth during first grade.

Easy before schoolwork for those 10 minutes before school starts. A no-brainer!

Last edited by goncama; 08-13-2011 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: spelling
goncama is offline   Reply With Quote

carroll

Old 08-13-2011, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I have the kids write in journals for 20 min as morning work. That way, if kids stagger in (due to weather, etc.) they are always engaged. Early in the year they start with a picture and label. March/April they no longer draw but write 6 or more sentences.
carroll is offline   Reply With Quote

justnancy

Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I begin DOL as the children arrive. There is a sentence on the board with two mistakes. They need to be "detectives" and find the mistakes and write it in their notebook correctly. As the year progresses there may be more mistakes to find or the words are out of order and they need to write it correctly.
justnancy is offline   Reply With Quote

texasteacher6

to yankees21
Old 08-13-2011, 06:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I have 4 book bins with books just right for each group of students. The kids come in in the morning and return their current book (if they have read it) to their bin. Then they find a new book from the same bin and check it out. They each have a card to write down which book they are taking home. They do this when they come in so they are not all at the bins at the same time. We expect them to read 20 minutes every night for homework, so we encourage checking out a book every day.

texasteacher6

justnancy
Old 08-13-2011, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

What does DOL stand for? I am not familiar with it. Thanks.

OU-Bobcat

Morning Work
Old 08-14-2011, 04:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

I have my first graders do various things:
-blog
-computer games
-books on cd
-read independently
-read with a partner
-flash cards (sight words, math facts)
-white boards to practice spelling words, math facts
OU-Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

1stteacher1st

Dol
Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

DOL = Daily Oral Language
1stteacher1st is offline   Reply With Quote

justnancy

Old 08-14-2011, 04:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

DOL stands for Daily Oral Language.
justnancy is offline   Reply With Quote

yankees21

thanks, texasteach!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I love the idea of having write down the book title. I've tried so many ways to track the books that they borrow. Never thought of that...it's great.

I didn't know what DOL was either!
yankees21 is offline   Reply With Quote