Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Lesson Plan Ideas for an Edgar Allen Poe unit

>

RahlyRah

Lesson Plan Ideas for an Edgar Allen Poe unit
Old 09-27-2011, 03:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello everyone!

I am attempting to construct a language arts unit on Edgar Allen Poe for my 8th graders. Has anyone taught a Poe unit before? Any lesson plans that went particularly well that you would be willing to share?

Thanks!

RahlyRah is offline   Reply With Quote

ajmm115

Poe
Old 09-27-2011, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have never taught a complete unit on Poe, and almost everything I have of Poe's that I've used in class was for high school. The high school texts - freshman, sophomore, and especially junior - all have poems and short stories of his.

Have you checked to see which of his works will be used in the high school the students will attend? Of course, maybe things have changed in the last few years - haven't taught junior English for four years - and perhaps they will not be reading and working with things they'll see again in higher grades.
ajmm115 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mcquita

Poe
Old 09-27-2011, 05:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

"The Tell Tale Heart" is a short story in our 8th grade curriculum. It is a great opportunity to share info on Poe, analyze the story and then have students write the story from a different POV (the bed, floorboard, neighbor,etc). I also show the story clip from the Simpsons.

During the poetry unit we will discuss and analyze "The Raven.

As stated in the earlier post, the 9th and 10th grade curriculum covers additional stories; therefore I do not do anymore. The hs teachers do appreciate the author background info being covered beforehand.
Mcquita is offline   Reply With Quote

Rah2010

Old 09-27-2011, 05:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We just read Tell Tale Heart last week. As they were reading, they answered questions on a worksheet. Then they did a character analysis on the narrator. The students really had a good time with this.

I also had them continue the story and act out what would happen next after the story ended.

I like what Mcquita said about writing in a different point of view.
Rah2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

RahlyRah

Thanks!
Old 09-27-2011, 05:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks everyone! Great ideas

Orwell

Poe
Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I use The Simpson's Tree House of Horrors version of The Raven. James Earl Jones reads the entire poem while Homer and Bart play the roles of the narrator and the raven.

In our state, junior high reads The Pit and the Pendulum and Annabelle Lee
Orwell is offline   Reply With Quote

NCLATeacher

Old 09-29-2011, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

As part of a mini unit, we watch the A&E Bio about Poe so that students can get an understanding about how the author's background influences his writing. I cover The Tell Tale Heart and Annabelle Lee with my standard level students and usually try to read The Cask of Amontillado with my honors students.

There are many differentated activities that you can do with Poe. I cover mood and tone with this unit, and students can draw the elements that they feel best create the mood and tone, they can write the ending of TTH from the perspective of the police officers, or they can do a RAFT activity.
NCLATeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

powellstarkey

Blooming Questions and Choice Board
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

One thing that I did with my students was I created something called Blooming Questions. I wrote a question to go with each level of blooms. If you do something like this the students would either answer all the questions at one time or as you go through the Tell-Tale Heart they would answer a question each day or answer maybe 2 questions from each level. Not sure how much time you have for this unit.

Another thing I did was created a choice board for this selection. I came up with 9 activities that I wanted the students to do. I came up with a list of activities that I would have done if I had all the time in the world to do this lesson and I had the students choose 3 or 4 assignments to complete. I came them about 2 days to work on this. WHen the finished up their work early they worked on this.

You could even set up the choice board as centers. Each activity on the choice board would be a center. I probably would have 9 centers if you did something like this. I think 5 or 6 would be good.
powellstarkey is offline   Reply With Quote

kmob

choice board?
Old 10-01-2011, 06:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Can you post yoru choice board or the questions/activities you have on it? I am teaching 8th grade lit for the first time and am considering a Poe unit as well.
kmob is offline   Reply With Quote

RahlyRah

Choice Board
Old 10-03-2011, 06:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I would also be interested in learning about some of the activities if possible! Thank you!