Help

Middle School/Jr High (6-8)

Classroom Management for Large Classes

>

GdHrtdTchr

Classroom Management for Large Classes
Old 09-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help! I need suggestions/ideas for managing classes of over 40. I'm struggling more with the 7th graders than the 8th graders. One of the first grades is up to 40 too, but at least I have some experience with that age group. (I'm the 'computer' [relief] teacher.) Right now, my most effective intervention is taking the computer away and letting them sit around grumbling how they "didn't do nuthin'." At least they figure out how ineffective that is after 20 minutes or so and eventually show some remorse/willingness to reform. Well, 'cept for some of the 7th graders, but I'm working on that with another PTer and my colleagues.

GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

Orwell

Clip to ScrapBook #2

It is normally used in PowerTeaching. Have a point system. Give little hashmarks on the board for whomever gets the points. It's you vs. them. When they do something right, they get the point. When they do something wrong, you get the point. Really look into the PowerTeaching program. It's free! There's a thing called "class yes" that would also be great for a class that size. Instead of yelling or anything similar to get their attention, you say "Class." They respond with "Yes?"
You can go back to the points. If they all say it and quiet down, they get the point. If they do not, you get the point. Figure out what the points could get them. Two minutes open notes on a test? Bonus points? Leave early for lunch? "Free" time?
Orwell is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Thank you!!!!
Old 09-29-2011, 06:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

This is WONDERFUL!!!!! My friend recommended group/team points, but they're just too many of them for me to manage who's in what group and such. I've been doing points for each class, but the older kids just weren't 'in the running' and didn't really care. I'll still use that (to reward my good 6th grades and spec. needs class) but I think this will work better for the large 7th and 8th grades. I will look into the power teaching. Also tracking down CHAMPS. Thanks again. VERY HELPFUL!

Last edited by GdHrtdTchr; 09-29-2011 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: Reread and found more answers!
GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote