Help

Sixth Grade

Dismissal

>

redskins21

Dismissal
Old 10-02-2011, 02:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have good ideas on making dismissal less chaotic? We switch classes so they have 20 minutes from the end of their last period class to dismissal. I feel like it is so loud and chaotic. I've tried having them read quietly (they hate to read) or play a game but nothing seems to work. Any ideas??

redskins21 is offline   Reply With Quote

lionessmess

Video?
Old 10-02-2011, 02:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about showing a mythbusters video?

Last edited by lionessmess; 10-02-2011 at 02:47 PM.. Reason: mistake
lionessmess is offline   Reply With Quote

relax248

Read Aloud?
Old 10-02-2011, 06:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

They may not like to read, but if you find a book that will capture their attention ~ they will listen. Could they begin their homework?
relax248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readn gal

dismissal
Old 10-03-2011, 05:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Why do they have 20 minutes? My students get about three minutes to write in their planners and put their chairs up. Do you have a class with them that is simply extended 20 minutes more than your other classes?

I would have planned a study hall time for that moment. Of course, if they have been having 20 minutes of free time, it will be a challenge to bring it back to structured time. You may be able to win them over with the idea that they would be free of homework once they got home.

Regardless, 20 minutes is quite a bit of time to miss out on. I would have kids pull out their agendas and check to see what homework they have. Kids that are done could play a board game. I would sign off on their reading records (if those are required) for kids that complete reading at that time. Honestly, it takes no more than 4 minutes to clean up and leave for the day.
Readn gal is offline   Reply With Quote

CP

Read to them or team building
Old 01-04-2012, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I have about the same amount of time in the morning that I must 'fill' too...not my choice but some days have choir and band, while other days are mine to contend with...so we either do team building activities or I read to my kids.

My kids LOVE both!!

CP is offline   Reply With Quote

Learning 55

20 min.
Old 06-06-2012, 01:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I have used oral reading, and make sure that I stop at an exciting place earlier in the day. Trapped in Death Cave by Bill Wallace is one example. I also have used this time for math games, task cards, exit slips where they need to write down what was learned that day. (They have to show me this before they exit, and if it is a foolish answer, they sit back down.) I also feel there isn't enough time for games, work together on homework, or class meetings. I do understand about how chaotic it can get, but once the students learn what is expected of them other than writing down assignments, they should get it. I think planning is the key. Maybe have a different objective for each day? Good luck.
Learning 55 is offline   Reply With Quote