What words do you use for spelling tests? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

First Grade

What words do you use for spelling tests?

>

rougher72

What words do you use for spelling tests?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is my first year in first grade, previous years I have been in Kindergarten. This entire year I have been using the words that go along with my curriculum Harcourt Story Town. I found out that the other two first grade teachers use some of those words and add to them to make word families. What do you all do? Use word families?, use lists already made? make up your own? Thanks for the help!

rougher72 is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Phonics and Spelling
Old 10-22-2011, 08:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I send home a word bank of all possible words with the phonics skill of the week. I only include words with blends, digraphs, silent-e, etc. if those skills have already been introduced. Then I choose 10 words from the word bank for the spelling test. This really forces kids and parents to focus on the phonics skill, rather than just memorizing words. For example, last week was short-o week with 34 possible words, which included CVC and VC words, as well as -ock words because we've already studied -ck.

I also give 5 sight words each week. The first few weeks included the easiest Dolch words. Now that the words are getting more difficult, I send home 3 new words plus the 2 most difficult words from the previous week. Many Dolch words are addressed in the phonics portion of our spelling program (will, best, came, etc.), so they wouldn't be included here.

I use my district's phonics word banks and schedule of what to introduce each week. I add words to my district's weekly sight word plan.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 10-22-2011, 09:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

My curriculum has 10 words/week. Nine are from 3 word families and 1 is a sight word. First grade spelling moves slowly, but really picks up in the second grade.
I'm at a private school and am glad it's done this way.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

Evrmoi21

I use word families and sight words
Old 10-22-2011, 11:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

A collegue made up her own spelling lists and passed them on to me to use this year. Each week, the spelling list conists of 5 sight words and 5 words from the word family of the week. At least one of the word family words uses a blend or digraph as it's onset. I started with all of the short a word families and then moved on to the short e, etc. Will cover long vowel families later in the year.
Evrmoi21 is offline   Reply With Quote

ArnieTheDonut

Old 10-22-2011, 11:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

JOV - I just started doing that this year on my own! I am so glad someone else does that too!

We use Harcourt Trophies and give 10 words a week, but I have noticed that the children just memorize the words and don't apply them to their actual writing.

This year I give them a phonics pattern to study and a list of sample words but are not all nessesarilly on the assessment. This way, parents can give their children "enrichment" word on their own. Example: an, can, tan, then parents can enrich children with cantelop, anatomy, ect.

I still do some practice book pages with the given words from the basal.
HTH!

ArnieTheDonut is offline   Reply With Quote

linderbug

spelling words
Old 10-22-2011, 03:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Our district purchased StoryTown last year and we used the book's spelling words. I was not really a fan because the words are all mixed up and there are so many things you have to teach with each lesson.

This year we changed to doing one word family a week with three sight words thrown in. I like doing it this way so much better because we can focus on ONE spelling pattern/vowel sound a week.
linderbug is offline   Reply With Quote

afirst11

Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

There are four teachers on my team. Two of them give a huge spelling test at the beginning of the year. The ones they got wrong they gives those to the kids. Each child gets a separate list our classsizes van go up to 27. I personally would not do this. Spelling really isn't a standard in our state so why work so hard at it AND the kids spell them right on the test but not during authentic writing.

I have three lists, low ( kindergarten words) and only 5 words, regular first grade words, and higher words from a second and third grade list. I don't really have any rhyme or reason to my choosing of words. Words from my word pond (wall) go on there or just words I see them spelling wrong a lot.
afirst11 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 10-23-2011, 11:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I almost do the EXACT thing as ArnietheDonut does. After teaching for 5 years, I always tried to find a good way to teach spelling. I dreaded the weekly tests because it never gave a true picture if the kids picked up on the concept or not. This year I thought of something that is working, and my parents love. I give a list of 10 sample words that will be on the test (for example, if the pattern for the week is words with the short a sound, all 10 words would follow that pattern). When I give the test, I give the kids 10 completley different words (i.e. the list word might have been "cat", but I tested them on the word "bat or that").
The kids are also tested on 2 star words (sight words) and 2 challenge words. The kids know which two sight words they will be tested on as well as the challenge words. This is my first year doing it this way and I love it. I have thought about using Words Their Way, but am not sure how to work it. Maybe someday!
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

kenzer

Spelling/Sight Word List Question?
Old 10-30-2011, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Hi...is there any way I can see your lists? I would really like to add some sight words to my weekly lists...5 spelling and 5 sight words sounds perfect. Thank you soooo much!!!!
kenzer is offline   Reply With Quote