Help

First Grade

work stations....

>

PUKO

work stations....
Old 10-30-2011, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Tell me what literacy/math work stations you are using this year....I have been doing them and am quite pleased (if only I could stop mistakenly calling them centers!!! grrr)...
This week I just started giving the students choices within the stations. I have:
a Spelling station (magnets, wikki sticks, letter tiles, colored pencils- I want to model stamping this week)
a Writing station ( write a page for a classroom book-choice of topic)
a Math station (flashcards, dominos,)
A word work station (make sight word books with magazine cut outs, pictures, sentences etc.)
a Game station (scrabble, top it (math), dice spelling)
a Big Book station (make a list of color words, number words, names, rhymes, compound words, etc.)

WHAT ELSE?? ideas please!!

PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

lead teacher

Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Our work stations MUST be directly relaated to our mini-lesson, if we taught sequence of events, all of our stations must be realted to sequence,

we can have one sight word station.

we keep the same skill/strtegy for a week and then change the next.

Our math stations MUST be driven my student data....if a student has mastered telling time then he/she would not go to that center.

this week are working on larger #'s and my stations are going to be: a smartboard activity on a 100 grid, 100 chart puzzle pieces, creating number lines for word problems and I can't remember the other two......uuugh
lead teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

afirst11

Old 10-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Wow, I'm not allowed to use anything but reading centers! Everyday my students read independently. I have a word work one. I made pic cards and have the students play picture domino. They take a pic of a house and then have to find a pic with the ending sound at the beginning. I hopenthat makes sense!
afirst11 is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherdani21

Old 10-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

spelling city with their weekly spelling words.

4. Word Work: Various spelling/word activities. This week we are doing a fun game with all of the sight words that we have learned so far this year.

5. Math: Various games. This week we are doing addition fact mats. The kids set a timer and see how many problems they can get done in 4 minutes. The continue to do this until center time is over (15 minutes).

6. Guided Reading with me: The kids meet in small groups to read with me. This is where I teach to their level, and my lessons are based on their needs/skills.

I rotate these centers weekly, but the actual center (work station is always the same). We only do centers/work stations for 30 minutes per day for 4 days per week. In this time, the kids do 2 centers/stations. Most of my centers are review of skills that we have already learned. I try to make my centers as fun and engaging as possible so I don't have interruptions while I am meeting with my reading groups.

Hope this helps!
teacherdani21 is offline   Reply With Quote

katiesbell

Old 11-01-2011, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We can't do math stations during our Language Arts block. This week I have:
Listening station (I have books on tape/cd)
Writing station (free write)
Word wall station (magnetic letters, white boards, different word games)
Big Book station
Poetry station (I have our poems written on sentence strips and the kids have to make them, find rhyming words or word wall words)
Squiggle station (the paper has a squiggle drawn on it, the kids have to finish the picture then write a story about the picture.
Making words station
Computer station (kids listen to stories on Tumblebooks.com)
Buddy reading

katiesbell is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

oooo
Old 11-02-2011, 02:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

ooo- I like the squiggle idea!~ thanks!
PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

ellenkaymi

Daily 5
Old 11-02-2011, 05:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We are required to Use "Daily 5" at my school so besides reading with me, students: read to self, read to someone (I limit it this to 4 at a time to keep my sanity and the noise level down, work with words (practice their individualized spelling words), write about reading (I differ from the book a bit), and listen to reading (on the computer).
ellenkaymi is offline   Reply With Quote