Help

First Grade

Not interested in school...

>

learn

Not interested in school...
Old 10-31-2011, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a child whom is not interested in school at all. This child is more than capable of getting good grades, but they put forth no effort at all! The parents are just as frustrated as myself and we have come up with a plan.

Well, my question is how to first try to help a child that is capable of reading first grade AR books but when I test them, they just do not pass this test. For the most part, last year in first grade as well, they took a lot of the kindergarten and first grade books. Basically, I'm at a loss, which books should I have her test on? Or how should I best handle this?

When I gave them the "star" test at the beginning of the year, the child's score was at a 1.3. I put the student on this AR level, but their percentage was 40%. When I closely monitored the situation, they were able to read the questions just fine, and the parents as well as the child claim they were reading the books 3 times at home. So I then decided to put the student back on pink/kindergarten books to see how they do.

DId I make the right choice? Is this child playing me so that they can just pass the quizzez easier?

learn is offline   Reply With Quote

carroll

Old 10-31-2011, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't think so. Most kids want to do well. Have you done a DIBELS test on him or Rigby benchmarked him? Maybe he struggles with comprehension.
carroll is offline   Reply With Quote

learn

the child
Old 11-02-2011, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

scored an 86% Reading success in the Dibels/Fair testing in Florida.
learn is offline   Reply With Quote