Help

BusyBoard

Math speed drills?

>

shanse

Math speed drills?
Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I want to do speed drills for quick mastery of math facts. How do you set this up in your classrooms? Do you do a bulletin board for incentive? What do you call it? I was thinking of calling it some kind of club? Just wondering how others are doing this. Thanks!

shanse is offline   Reply With Quote

prechrswife

Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use sticker charts, but they are stuck inside the cover of the students' consumable math textbooks. I make it more a competition with self than a competition with the rest of the class. Since most math books are not consumable, you could put them inside a binder, notebook, or planner.
prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

Pig Math!
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I teach second and use Pig Math by Lori Evans on TPT. I started almost every math lesson with it. If I didn't, the kids would remind me! They loved it that much! Something I might incorporate this year is a half page of math fact homework based on the fact they are on. Pig Math has addition and subtraction up to 16 as well as multiplication, so it keeps the top students motivated, too!
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

More...
Old 07-16-2013, 05:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Duh, I forgot...
The incentive was an ice cream party once the whole class successfully completed +\-12. Each fact set they completed earned them part of the sundae. I borrowed this from a blog, maybe even Lory Evan's, but I don't seem to have it bookmarked anymore.
I did not post anything in the class except to indicate which facts the entire class had mastered. My rule was that the test score was between you, me and your parents. However, we all celebrated with applause when someone passed a review test and received a certificate. (included with Pig Math)
I did have some students who took nearly all year to complete +/-12. I also had others that finished the addition & subtraction program to 16 and moved onto an introduction to multiplication book I prepared.
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

SassyTeach

Mine
Old 07-16-2013, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I just use a piece of chart paper and call it "Multiplication Masters". When a kid gets a 50 out of 50 on their fact quiz, I write their name on the chart with a dot or a tally. After they do that 10 times, I give them a full-sized candy bar. I hate to admit doing that, but you wouldn't believe how it motivates them! I wish I could do something different, but this is the one thing that I've found that works.

SassyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

coffeemate

Old 07-16-2013, 08:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

http://www.lauracandler.com/books/mmfacts.php

Laura Candler was the one with the ice cream party incentive. It looks like she's since updated her book to meet common core. I've done the ice cream incentive for multiplication with grades 3 4 and 5 now and all have loved it.
coffeemate is offline   Reply With Quote

LVNSUMMER

Ice cream party!
Old 07-16-2013, 08:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I did multiplication speed drills this past year and had a board dedicated to it. I introduced the idea to students and told them that their goal was to learn all facts 0-12 by the end of the year (we started in January). Those that got it would be invited to a ice cream party at the end of the year. I gave timed tests on specific facts (started with 0,1,2,5,10). Each student that aced the test was given ice cream scoop cut outs for each number that they colored and put up on the bulletin board. Then they proceeded to the next group of facts. Each week I did 2 times tests, on Wednesdays and Fridays. They were individualized based on where students were. As students mastered all facts 0-12 they became study buddies for students who struggled. This became a part of my math routine every day. The students enjoyed being study buddies and did an awesome job building up the strugglers' confidence. After the timed tests I would meet with my study buddies and give them focus facts to make sure they hit with their partner repeatedly. By the end of the year ALL of my students earned the ice cream party. I hope this helps!

I printed my drill tests from worksheetworks.com and found ice cream cone templates online.
LVNSUMMER is offline   Reply With Quote

MaggieMurph

xtramath.org
Old 07-18-2013, 07:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Note it is .org... not .com

I used this with 2nd grade for add and sub facts. They loved it. I loved it. Nothing for me to grade and no copying of facts practice sheets. Just check reports weekly. Each fact must be answered in 3 seconds for it to be considered memorized. It is free. I signed up and I entered myself as a student so I could see how it worked. You could keep a chart and track number of memorized facts until they reach 100. The program has a printable certificate when they reach 100. Then you could start them on division. They can even do it from home. There is a letter to parents explaining how to set them up and gives them a code.

This 3rd grade teacher explains how she uses it.
http://www.mrswhitehead.com/?p=757
MaggieMurph is offline   Reply With Quote

luvsteaching

Old 07-18-2013, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use Math Frenzy which is only 5 minutes a day. There is a page with four frenzies on it which I use M-Th and then I use a large one on Friday. Once they master the Frenzy, they can do my 3-minute test and become a part of my 3-minute club (optional).

I laminated gold trophies I found at the Dollar Tree and have labeled them with my different clubs. Once on the trophy your name is never taken down. I have 3-minute clubs for the math facts and for simplifying fractions. I also have clubs for being able to name and locate the 50 states, the capitals, for spelling them correctly, etc. My students love clubs!
luvsteaching is offline   Reply With Quote

shanse

Thanks!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you for all the replies! MaggieMurph--- wow, that site looks fabulous! I like that I don't have to grade anything. I need to explore it more but I like what I have seen so far!

shanse is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

So many great ideas!
Old 07-19-2013, 05:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I have been told that I will not be allowed to display individual achievements, but I do like some of the ideas here and will be able to use them.

I love how we share on PT!
letsgomets is online now   Reply With Quote