Second Grade

Management system

>

2manychoices

2manychoices

Management system
Old 07-18-2013, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Regular poster but signed out as this may "out" me....

I used the clip chart last year and hated it!! So I changed it mid-year to tickets which worked ok. But this year I want to try something different. So I've been searching and searching and finally, struck gold and found something I liked!

There are two mgmt. systems that I like and unsure which to do...the first uses the little and larger "fuzzy" balls...students are given them and turn them in on Friday to earn prize coupons (no treasure box stuff which I like!).

The second one is just tickets you give them that they keep and at the end of week the students tally them up to earn Fun Friday. The student(s) get to pick the FF Center based on total tickets (everyone would get to go to a center but those with the least amount of tickets get to pick last).

In both systems fuzzies and tickets can be taken away.

I love the tickets/Fun Friday but still want to incorporate some tickets. I was thinking of fuzzies in a jar that the class earns for a coupon (stuffed animal, shoes off, etc).

Thoughts/ideas?

BettySpeller

Old 07-18-2013, 09:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I do tickets. Each child gets an envelope that they are responsible for. When 10 tickets are earned, students get to pick a reward. My rewards are things like teacher's chair, sit next to a buddy, pick your station, sock day, etc.

In the beginning, I give the tickets fairly frequently and always make a big deal when I do. As the year progresses, I get a little stingier with the tickets. Students may trade their tickets in first thing in the morning or at the end of the day. Extremely easy to manage. I print a bunch of tickets in the beginning of the year, but then reuse them as students turn them in for a reward.

I have done this for 3 years and it has been successful (even with the group from he**)
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

Old 07-18-2013, 10:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do the gold tags for Friday Fun Day. The kids really liked it and it was easy to manage. I had a cup on the student desks for pencils and the tags were kept there as well.
For class incentive, I also did behavior bingo where I'd choose a number from my bucket and color that number in on a 100s chart. Once a row or column was filled there would be a class reward. I've use the warm fuzzies as well. I've also used the marble jar. I do not take away from any of these class incentives.
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

TeachNut

Old 07-18-2013, 12:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I'm going to through out another option ~ my kids LOVED Class Dojo last year. You can check it out here: www.classdojo.com

I only set about 3 behaviors for us to use with it; but, the kids responded great!

For the couple you have discussed, I like the idea of the fuzzies; but, I'd probably go with the tickets so kids could put their name on the ticket in case it's found outside of the desk area or comes up "missing" from another student.

There used to be a document on here about no-cost rewards. They had a lot of ideas of how you can reward a student without having to put out money. I'd see if you can find that somewhere! (I'll keep looking also to see if it is in any of my files).

Whatever you go with, make sure it's simple and not too complicated or you won't stick with it.
TeachNut is offline   Reply With Quote

owlmoon

clip chart and mini-money behavior system
Old 07-18-2013, 05:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've taught for 15 years in an urban school with a transient population.
I use a modified clip chart. Everyone starts on green "We are being responsible, respectful and safe." If moved down to orange, "Uh oh. Make better choices." Next warning is yellow, "Think about your behavior and fix it." Last is red "consequence". Students know this consequence varies with the student and the misbehavior and often decided on with the student's input. I just say, "I need this behavior to change. What consequence will help you bring about this change?" (Time on wall at recess, call home, mini-money fine.) This works with all but the toughest behavior problems. I do not have students move clips up like some behavior charts because I would have such a difficult time being consistent and remembering to have them do it. It is expected behavior, so it doesn't register as special to me. Besides, kids who have such wonderful behavior get plenty of approval and appreciation from me in other ways.
I also LOVE my mini-money system. It can be a bit time-consuming at first, but worth it. Students earn money for various things such as returning homework on time, cleaning up desk area, and keeping their clip on green the previous day. They save up this money and order things from the displayed mini-money store. I fill these orders after school or when the students are at specials. Items in the store are donated by parents or I purchase them from dollar stores or surprisingly, they love boxes and containers left over from things like Crystal Light, etc. This system is easy because I always have a handy reward. Nice for subs.
The best part is that I only use ones, tens and hundreds which gives them a head start on place value. Every couple of days, I let them trade ten ones for a ten dollar bill, etc. (Later in the year, students take over this job.) By the time we have to do regrouping in two-digit addition and subtraction, most of the students totally understand how that works.

owlmoon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tessa_Rue

Old 07-18-2013, 08:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

My whole school gives tickets, which go into our buckets. But the only reward I give out is the chance to eat lunch with me. On Thursdays all of the teachers pick out four tickets and send the tickets to the office to be put in the principal's bucket. She then picks four out and sends letters home to their parents and they get their names in the newsletter too. When I pick out my four names I tell them that they get to eat lunch in our classroom with me on Friday. Our kids love getting tickets, even if they can't "redeem" them for anything. They love to see our buckets getting filled up with good behaviors.

I do know that some of the other teachers have "prize boxes" that they let students pick from in conjunction with our ticket system, I just choose not to.
Tessa_Rue is offline   Reply With Quote

peggy27

Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

so glad the gold tags worked. I've used color change cards before and I hate it. I am adding some consequences if I have to take a tag back.
peggy27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

No cost rewards list
Old 07-19-2013, 11:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
There used to be a document on here about no-cost rewards. They had a lot of ideas of how you can reward a student without having to put out money.
I compiled and posted a list several years ago. (A few others added their ideas to the thread, too.) Since then, I've seen other lists with great ideas and ways some used the ideas, such as coupons, but this can get you started.

Last year I ONLY used rewards from this list and loved it! (I implemented an idea using beads that was shared on PT several years ago. My students earned beads for such things as completed homework each week, attendance, and so on. After earning a specified number, they chose a no-cost reward from the list.) I asked my students which no-cost rewards they would prefer and found that to be most successful. Somewhere about mid-year, we revisted the list to determine which we should keep and which we should bring in. They key to success, I felt, was including the students in deciding which we would use. With my fourth graders, the most popular was "Lunch with the teacher"
Risa is offline   Reply With Quote

wbteach2

Old 07-25-2013, 11:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Did you use the classdojo strictly the way the site recommended it or did you make some modifications. Also what were your 3 behaviors you used? I want to implement an easy behavior system with no extrinsic rewards. Is that a possibility in this day and age when kids are rewarded for EVERYTHING???
wbteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote