Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Info on Superkids reading program

>

6kids

Info on Superkids reading program
Old 08-16-2013, 11:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our kindergarten and 1st Grade have been using the Superkids reading program. I am going to be using it in my 2nd Grade this year. What can anyone tell me about it? Easy to use, time frame, etc. For the last 3 years I've had the same 3 volunteers come to my room two mornings a week and read novels with small groups. Will this program allow time for this? By the way, I won't be getting my materials until a week before school starts. Any input is appreciated.

6kids is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Will be my 3rd year with Superkids
Old 08-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

but I teach first and I guess you've spoken with the first grade teachers in your school already. Superkids offers so much to do but after the first year I was able to adjust things a bit. How long is your literacy block? That will determine what else you can fit in! I had a two hour block and used one hour for Superkids and one for Daily 5/Guided Reading. I would think during your guided reading time you could have your parent volunteer come in and read with a small group.
Superkids (in 1st) offers a booklet of practice pages which I have been sending home as optional student homework as we go through each unit. The handwriting part was hard to fit in every day so I did it 3 days each week. This year I need to find time to incorporate the magazines which are terrific and second grade definitely has them as well. In first, it is one magazine for each unit so I am going to read these at the end of each unit. The assessments are not great, so I learned to only give the end of unit assessments that truly provided me with information. Some were downright useless, so I streamlined! My first year I had to double up the last few weeks of school to get through the program by year end. But I had no problem last year. So it does get easier!
Organize all your supplies as they come in so you know where they are in the room because there are quite a lot. Once you open the teacher's manual, you will teach with it literally in your hands! I have for 2 years now! Having what you need, where you are teaching will save time (obviously). Read the manual AFTER you have arranged all materials and know where they are to refer to. Once you recognize the program components, the instruction is easy. ALso, I used a lot of my own writing ideas instead of theirs, but kept with the writing standard.
I hope this was helpful!
irises is offline   Reply With Quote

6kids

superkids
Old 08-17-2013, 11:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks, Irises!
6kids is offline   Reply With Quote

mmolbert

Superkids
Old 08-18-2013, 11:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

What do you do for grades?
mmolbert is offline   Reply With Quote

irises

Ah yes...grades
Old 08-18-2013, 03:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

• I do use those selected assessments from the program but as I said, I do not administer all.
  • There is a spelling test for each unit so I have that grade, plus DRA and Dibels.
  • While I haven't really graded student writing in the past, I will be recording more this year based on a 1, 2, 3, 4 writing rubric for more "data."
  • Every day, Superkids routines provide formative assessments, including daily dictation. I do not grade these because they are practice, but I send them home with a typed page that shows what I really dictated! For those students who I have real concerns about, I make copies of their dictations as well as a "typical" student dictation page.
  • I also administer my own assessments, such as "Hearing Sounds in Words" (Marie Clay) and I test the kids on reading Superkids "Memory Words" (n more than 3 seconds for each word) basically sight words or words whose patterns have not yet been taught.
  • I bet I will be adding more assessments this year! Let me know what you all think of Superkids and what you use! Thanks.
BTW...the parents absolutely LOVE it. They think it's a miracle program. It's rigorous and while I don't agree with everything it does, it works because K, 1 & 2 are teaching the same program with fidelity. You do need their libraries (expensive) to teach it with fideltiy...we didn't have enough of their books the first year and used our book room which they don't recommend because they do not have the controlled vocab.

irises is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

new this year, too
Old 08-18-2013, 06:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

K, 1 & 2 will all be implementing Superkids this year at our school. K has been using the program in its prior form for many years.
In 2nd grade it is suggested that you have at least 100 minutes of teaching time, 120+ minutes if you include the writing component. 40 minutes is whole group (small group as necessary) of the Decodable Reader and Word Work book; 60 minutes small groups of the SUPER magazine or Book Club; and 20+ minutes expressive writing. I've not yet implemented it, so am excited (nervous?) to see how it all works out.
I have done online training. Maybe you can sign up for that at www.superkids.org? I have in-person training on Thurs.
It appears that the manuals are very comprehensive.
Just know that you are not alone in this journey!
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote