Help

Private Schools

he knows 5 letters

>

multigrade

he knows 5 letters
Old 08-17-2013, 06:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

FIVE! He's 7 yo and in my 1st grade. This family was at our school the first part of last year, but dropped out to 'homeschool'. No educational activities happened, until they realized the kids would have to be in school this year. (Apparently, state law says private schools don't report kids who leave the school.) They hired a teacher to work with all 3 of their kids (all adopted drug babies) and fired her when she asked for 'too much money' says the 7yo.

So, he knows 5 letters. I have a tiny class (my smallest ever, only 4!) and have 3 reading groups. At least he's the only one in his group. He knew much more when they stopped attending last year. I'm grateful for the WBT games to teach letters and numbers. (Superspeed Letters and Phonics and Superspeed Numbers.)

The oldest child is 'homeschooling' with the public school online. At least if he doesn't do it, the school will know. I don't expect my student and his K sibling to stay for long, although they need it badly. I'm still very pro-homeschooling, but never knew folks I wish wouldn't homeschool until I started teaching and I knew LOTS of homeschoolers!

This will be interesting.

multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

T2C

T2C

A few thoughts:
Old 08-17-2013, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

1. If there is abuse, including educational neglect, you can report it to the Child of Department of Services. It would fall under Child in Needs of Service. I don't like to do it often, but when I tutored, I got a number of homeschoolering families and they were woefully undereducated! I have been told my the public and faith-based school, it happens more than we would like to think. Yes, there are some great homeschoolers that do well, it's less than we think.

2. Online charter schools are terrible! In my neck of the woods, the teachers have often 80-100 kids in an elementary class, and can work from home. One parent, I know who pulled their child out of the on-line school, reported that the teacher breastfed her infant while teaching. (I am surprised it didn't make national headlines. :-) ).

3. In addition to WBT, I loved www.kellyskindergarten.com. When I tutored my K/1st students, most refugees and immigrants) I used her site to get them up to speed. With four kids, you might be okay.

Riding4Him

Sorry!
Old 08-17-2013, 11:07 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm with you multigrade. I know lots of great homeschoolers who do a wonderful job and then there is always a few who do not. We had a fourth grader come in to our school. She had been homeschooled up till then. She read well and seemed up to grade level in everything but math. The fourth grade teacher asked me to take her aside since I have a special ed. background to see if she had a specific disability in math. I didn't find any problem but she was extremely low on her knowledge of facts and math concepts. Then her mom finally admitted that she didn't teach math, at all! The mom didn't like math in school so she decided that her daughter wouldn't like math either! I would do my best in trying to catch this poor guy up on his letters but in the meantime is it possible to educate mom on how far behind he is? Is there a dad to talk with? It sounds like this family isn't taking their responsibility seriously. Since you will probably loose him again during the year the best thing maybe to change the parents' minds if possible. Here in WA students do not have to attend any schooling till 2nd grade. Some homeschoolers report into the state, others do not for various reasons. By high school they need some type of reporting or accountability is they want the credit. Good luck with this little guy.
Riding4Him is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 08-17-2013, 01:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks. This mom hasn't spoken to me yet. They missed Orientation Night and I think she's actually avoiding me. I had her other son last year and she pulled him out and I guess she thinks I wouldn't like her because of that. I don't dislike her, but I am concerned.
Also, she's got a learning disability, too. She can't remember anything. Literally. So, I'm not sure anything I say will 'stick'. Yes, dad is easier to talk to, but he's not always available.
Only prayer...

prechrswife

Old 08-17-2013, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

That is so hard. I've been in similar situations before, with students coming in from similar homeschooling situations or from a school where they did a self-paced curriculum, and lagged way behind in subjects that they just didn't like. (These were older kids.) We've also had similar situations in our school with first graders, and the ones I'm thinking of were simply transfers from other schools. Prayers for you and your student. Hopefully you will be able to help him progress and the parents will see that and be willing to keep him in school.

prechrswife is offline   Reply With Quote

pvtflukd

Old 08-18-2013, 06:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Good luck to you and the little guy! May he have an excellent year with your guidance and make great strides! It's always tough when one of our kids is so far behind. But that means they have so much more to gain! You have been put in his life for a reason...you are the one that can make a difference for him!
pvtflukd is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 08-18-2013, 08:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I really appreciate the encouragement!
My P actually said that my goal is to try to get the child to the point that he can do the public school online as his brother is doing. This makes me sad, but he knows things I don't know. I will do my best, with God's help.
(This is really encouraging because I'm home from church this morning, sick. I am determined to feel good tomorrow!)