Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Writing: do you spell words for them?

>

reesespieces

Writing: do you spell words for them?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:42 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

If there are words that students haven't been taught that a student misspelled in his/her writing piece (such as "vacation" or "Christmas"), do you tell them how to spell these words?

I'm supposed to work on editing next week...but I'm not sure how to approach it since students don't know how to spell many of the words in their narratives.

reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

Lakeside

Old 11-02-2013, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes, I would give them the spellings. I would just explain that when they are a little older, they will learn how to check the words they're not sure of in a dictionary when they edit, but for now, you will be that check for them. I think it's better for them not to practice the words incorrectly.
Lakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 11-02-2013, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Quote:
I think it's better for them not to practice the words incorrectly.
Yes. If they are writing about the same topic, I write those commonly used words on the board. When it's a continuing topic, I've turned part of the board into a mini word wall with those words.
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

AD

Old 11-02-2013, 06:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It depends. If it's a word they are close to spelling correctly (maybe one missing letter) or a word they should know how to spell correctly, I will. Also, if a lot of kids are using the same word (maybe Christmas right after Christmas break when they all seem to choose that topic). Otherwise I don't. I don't think it's necessary to spend my whole time giving them the correct spellings for words. That will then become the focus rather than the process of getting their thoughts down, beginning, middle, end, etc...

I give them other tools for getting close to the correct spelling. However, I do expect them to spell certain words correctly-sight words we know and have practiced/learned as well as other commonly spelled words from their lives (siblings' names, etc...)

We focus on stretching and writing every sound we hear in the correct order, checking the word slowing with our fingers, and underlining if we are unsure.

Quote:
I think it's better for them not to practice the words incorrectly.
I'm curious to know how you go about managing every child spelling their words correctly X however many kids are in the class during writing time.

Spelling is also very developmental.
AD is offline   Reply With Quote

kster

Old 11-02-2013, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do small writing group rotations. I encourage students to try on their own (or we do it together) and point out the positives...I really like the way you worked so hard to sound this word out, I am going to show you the correct spelling...it is a red word and doesn't follow all of the rules we have learned so far. I also do this with letter formation. If students are not forming letters correctly I erase it, model for them, and then they form it correctly.

kster is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I expect them to use their personal dictionaries (sight words with extra spaces on every page where I write words for them). Like Multigrade, I also make word banks on the board and expect them to copy the spellings correctly.
CK2 is online now   Reply With Quote

vttraveler

Old 11-02-2013, 07:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use Quickbook personal dictionaries. I have also found that reading their piece aloud to themselves or a peer helps them catch words that are misspelled. If a piece is to be published, then I do a finally editing with them before they write a final copy.
vttraveler is offline   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 11-02-2013, 08:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Yes, I expect them to spell words correctly in their "published writings". They first write "sloppy copies" and then I edit their writing/spelling. They also have personal dictionaries, "writing folders," that they are expected to use. In there, I have a list of common writing words in alphabetical order. In addition, there is a blank dictionary set up in alphabetical order. If students asks me to spell a word for them, they know they have to get out their "writing folder" and open to the page the letter begins with. I write the word on the line under that letter.

I encourage them to spell words the best way they can and to use their writing folders during prewriting and sloppy copies. However, after editing, the expectation is that everything should be spelled correctly since it has been corrected in the editing process. They do lose points if spelling is not correct in their published pieces.

I love using "writing folders" (personal dictionaries). It holds the students more responsible for their own spelling and writing.
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 11-02-2013, 08:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

we just did some Halloween writing and I did a circle map on the board with their ideas and left it up there for them to use as a resource. To me, things like word walls and semantic mapping should be used as a "dictionary" since their dictionary skills aren't developed yet.

I do not spell words that can be sounded out. I make them spell it and if I can read it we go with it. If they come up with crazy spellings or totally wrong sounds, I hlep them sound out. I do not want to diminish writing hope by making sure every single word is spelled correctly. That's a sure way to make them stop writing....IMHO.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 11-02-2013, 02:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I do not spell words that can be sounded out.
Me, too.
DS was one of those kids who taught himself how to misspell words by writing them incorrectly. By the second time he wrote it down, it was stuck in his head. Having students like this determines which words/how many words I put on the board.

multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

booklady57

Tough call!
Old 11-02-2013, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

I don't usually spell words for them if they follow spelling rules we have already covered in instruction. I also refer them to the word wall, or to theme based word banks for words that can't be spelled with predictable spelling rules. I also make choices about what words to spell based on which student I am talking to, and where they are developmentally. When publishing work, I often offer correct spellings, but I find that the kids often do not use the correct spelling even when it is written right on their rough draft--a source of some frustration for me!
booklady57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Mr Sensai

Old 11-03-2013, 04:03 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

In English class I do. Other classes I do not as I would spend a lot of time telling them the spelling of the word and they will get lost on the topic at hand.
Mr Sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

generally no
Old 11-03-2013, 05:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

If it's on the word wall it's a "no excuse" word and must be spelled correctly. I also have those big Carson Delossa month posters that have seasonal/holiday words on them. I would much rather them stretch the words and write the sounds they hear. I find that students who have been taught to ask how to spell words shut down as writers becaus they get hung up on spelling and can't get their thoughts out. They are the kids who erase constantly. Spelling is developmental, there is no point in me running around spelling random words for them. My only exception is names. If they are writing about their sibling, pet, etc.,they should spell it correctly and i will write it on a sticky note so they can add it to their pesonal word list.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

OU-Bobcat

Old 11-07-2013, 04:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

No. The idea is to get their ideas onto paper. Spelling is a developmental process. Students should be making their best attempts at spelling by writing the sounds they hear and applying spelling skills they have mastered on their own. If you are constantly critiquing each word the student attempts to spell then they will not want to take risks with their writing. However spelling should be exact in interactive writing, but not in independent writing.
OU-Bobcat is offline   Reply With Quote

StickerLady

Old 11-08-2013, 08:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

As a veteran substitute, I sometimes help the teachers grade papers. For common words, I do put the correct spellings, just so that the students know how the words are spelled. To me, students are more likely to realize and use correct spellings when we put them on papers for them to see. Especially in a journal, the student can be encouraged to look at previous pages for words. Still, in younger grades, students are just learning to match letters to sounds. So 'creative spellings" are to be expected. I'd definitely compliment a kindergarten student who was able to spell dinosaur phonetically, even if it was incorrect.

Younger students should always look at the word wall while writing. In our district, students must learn a certain number of sight words in order to be promoted from kindergarten or first grade. So generally, there's no good reason for even younger students to misspell such words as the or we.

If students are doing a special writing assignment, and uncommon words might be used, I'd write some of those words on the board.

A rough draft is just that: rough. A student should feel free to write whatever comes to mind during this step. Corrections come later.

Do your students have personal "word lists"? Then when they run across a problem word, they copy it into their personal word list. (This can be a mini journal or a batch of flash cards.) Some teachers use these and ask their students to keep them handy during writing time. During my long-term assignment, I gave all the kids Ziploc bags and printed up flash cards of the week's spelling lists, with a different color for each week. Then, for a writing assignment, I asked them take their Ziploc bags out and see whether their words were there or on the word wall first before asking me for help

I like the printable sight word resources at http://www.sparklebox.co.uk/literacy.../#.Un29jUDbiuQ . You might even want to play the sight-words Bingo game during indoor recess if your students are having trouble with words they should know.
StickerLady is offline   Reply With Quote