So what do you do for developmental play? - ProTeacher Community

Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Kindergarten

So what do you do for developmental play?

>

Sbkangas5

So what do you do for developmental play?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Or choice time, or whatever you are required to call it? It seems that everyone is frustrated that there isn't enough time (or any) for developmental activities. If you do include them on a regular basis, what do you do or how do you fit it in?

We have two set times during the week. On Mondays we have about 45 minutes of activity time, and they usually have choices like blocks, legos, kitchen, drawing, etc. Tuesday-Thurs they are doing p.e. during this block. On Friday afternoons we also have a large chunk of time (almost an hour and a half) where we have some developmental play and lots of art activities available (sometimes a directed art project, other times just lots of fun art stuff out for them to use). The teacher next to me has activity time mon-thurs as one of his math rotations, but it's only for 15 minutes or so.

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

bucket

Developmental Play
Old 11-20-2013, 04:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have been out of the Kindergarten grade level for 11 years now. But when I taught kinder I had 30 minutes of free centers every afternoon. I know times have changed in 11 years so that may not be possible anymore. I loved having free centers as the last part of my day. It was the carrot that kept my little ones moving. If they didn't finish work or had to "practice" how to sit quietly etc. they did that during free centers. They wanted free play time so they worked hard and tried to follow the rules.

I had all my centers open: blocks, home living, math tubs, science, language activities, fine motor, etc. I can't even remember now what I called everything. I'm so firmly grounded in my Pre-K world that all I can think of are my current centers.
bucket is offline   Reply With Quote

kster

Old 11-20-2013, 07:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do the same activities as you but also allow reading (ABC center) and math games. I do not choose for them, and let them go with it. Some kids get out of bed to come to school just for the idea of playing with Legos or doing art with friends! Centers (or what ever we are made to call it) is a HUGE part of being 5 and learning how to be social and creative. It makes me sad that many schools take this away and then wonder why we have increase behavior/social issues. This is one of the most important time of the day to me. Students not only practice real life social skills, but are able to take what they learn and create something meaningful to them. It is amazing to see the cool creations and teamwork throughout the year. I also have to add, a few years back we had 1 K teacher that did away with centers. It was mind-blowing to see them (the students from this class), try to work as a team during times like specials or field day (they just did not have the practice like the other classes to function or think for themselves), and they had not developed the appropriate problem solving skills as peers in other classes. So sad!
kster is offline   Reply With Quote

starley

Old 11-21-2013, 04:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I have developmental centers the last 30 minutes of the day. Come he!! Or high water. I don't care what is not finished not done...we have centers
starley is offline   Reply With Quote

MalibuBarbie

Amen!
Old 11-23-2013, 02:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I could not work in a school where play time was banned. I love all-day kindergarten. Plenty of time to read, write, do math AND play!

Each year's group is so different. I definitely have a bunch of writers this year! Looking around during play time earlier this week I noticed (because I am finally done assessing one on one for another couple weeks can't stand all the assessing!!!) SOOOO many kids doing some kind of writing! They had clipboards and sticky notes and notepads.....writing notes to me and their moms and writing each other's names. It was fantastic!

kster has it right--kids learn social skills, problem solving and so much more about getting along with each other during these unstructured times with real toys and activities.

MalibuBarbie is offline   Reply With Quote