Help

The VENT

Can you imagine?!

>

Penguin82

Can you imagine?!
Old 02-21-2014, 11:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

What if we responded/treated parents the way we are treated? What if we as teachers stopped putting up with their bull?!

How about emails regularly saying things like "I find this absolutely unacceptable that you are not keeping your child accountable for his homework and challenging/working extra with him at home. This is your JOB."

What would you say if you were able to treat parents the way they treat you?

Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

cteacherrun

Old 02-21-2014, 12:39 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Today I had a child pass in his Math test and tell me, "Oh, my parents want you to correct this right now so I can take it home and show them my grade right away."
Not kidding.
cteacherrun is offline   Reply With Quote

gunther922

Hey I'm with you! There is no
Old 02-21-2014, 12:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

reason for parents to talk to us disrespectfully. I am a pretty easy going and even tempered teacher. Twice in my 14 years I did have to put a yelling parent in their place. I didn't even hesitate. I told this parent that I will not allow her to speak to me like that. I asked her to calm down or go talk to the Principal. I had HAD it!! The other time it was a parent on the phone. Again I invited the parent in to see the principal. I mean what is with parents thinking they can treat us this way? And WHY should us teachers put up with it? I just don't get it. When it comes to this I get very defensive because I spend a great deal of time building relationships with my parents. I send a weekly newsletter, call parents, email parents, invite them to the classroom and the list goes on, all so they can see that I am a warm and loving teacher. So it really gets my goat when I encounter bossy, know-it-all disrespectful parents.

I think we definitely need to push back at parents if the situation requires it. Like you said we should stop putting up with their bull!!
gunther922 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

The reason why
Old 02-21-2014, 01:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think parents increasingly take their cues from too many politicians who constantly and very publicly blame teachers for anything wrong in society today. The media all too often pile on as well. Parents follow suit. No surprise we get more and more disrespect these days. Very sad, but that's one more reason to pay attention to whom you're voting into office.
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

musicbug

words I never said but wanted to
Old 02-21-2014, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

1. Right now isn't possible. There is only one of me and 50 of you.
2. Hummmm.....I pay my salary too, because I pay taxes.
3. Too much homework? Multiply your DC's work by 30. That's mine. I'd love to give less but I want your kid to be successful.
4.Nowhere is it stated that Free Time Friday is a right. When your DC does what his classmates completed we'll discuss it.
5. By passing me to talk to admin doesn't scare me...it means I'm less likely to take you seriously.

musicbug is offline   Reply With Quote

penguin1113

Old 02-21-2014, 01:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There's so much I wish I could say but can't because of morals and, well, I like having a job.

Once during an IEP, I was explaining to the parent how her son's behavior was impacting his academics (I teach in an alternative school for students with behavior and emotional disabilities). She said he acts like that at home as well. Then she turns to him and says "You can treat her [me] like that. She just a teacher. I'm your mama. You respect me."

No wonder your kid has no respect for teachers, lady!
penguin1113 is offline   Reply With Quote

desert flower

cteacherrun
Old 02-21-2014, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I'm curious if you dropped everything to grade it.
desert flower is offline   Reply With Quote

opal4

Talking to them the way they talk to us
Old 02-21-2014, 01:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I haven't had any irate parents in quite a while (that's the universe evening everything out because I had a streak of several years with some real winners!)

Right now, I have the parents who tell you what you want to hear and the do their own thing anyway.

What I would say...

1. Oh yes, I will make sure your child puts all of the books he needs in his backpack.

2. Sure, I can make sure he eats his sandwich first at lunch.

3. No problem, he can turn in his work whenever he wants.

4. No, that homework assignment wasn't very important anyway.

5. It's okay. When I gave out the project instructions that said "no exceptions" I really meant that he could do it any way he wants. His grade will not suffer.

Then I'd just ignore every blessed thing I had said and do what I want.
opal4 is offline   Reply With Quote

BettySpeller

Old 02-21-2014, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would say, "I am sorry to inform you that even though you think so, your child is not gifted. It is not my job to provide enrichment work when your child is not exceeding classroom expectations and curriculum."
BettySpeller is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 02-21-2014, 04:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I am seriously looking for/praying for another job because of parents. I'm at a private school and am NOT the hired help.
(The one time I had 'hired help' I respected her, treating her as I would want to be treated. She was great. This post is not about disrespecting 'hired help'.)

multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

kster

Old 02-21-2014, 04:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

You need to double check my book bag for me and make sure You turn in my library books, signed notes, and homework....you have plenty of time for this right? Oh and don't forget to check in the side zipper pocket for my snack...you don't mind right?Oh, and I need Tommy and Julie's phone numbers...and Suzie's from the other class...I am having a party and need to contact them before the end of the day. This is VERY important. Oh, and you know how you always give me special requests for your DC at lunch (during my lunchtime)...well I am totally craving Chinese food. Be a dear and drop it off for me before lunchtime. What, you don't REALLY need YOUR lunchtime do you?

Last edited by kster; 02-21-2014 at 06:00 PM..
kster is offline   Reply With Quote

Penguin82

Kster
Old 02-21-2014, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Lol lol lol
Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote