The VENT

Switching grades

>

Sad2day

Sad2day

Switching grades
Old 06-08-2014, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am extremely upset. My principal told me I am switching grade levels next year. I really don't want to do this, but I don't have a choice. Why switch? I don't understand it. I started crying too which was a little awkward. All he told me was that I would do great with this grade and he thinks I'll like it. At first I thought he was asking me, then I found out it was more of an order. You will move. Has anyone else experienced this????

narnian

Oh, yeah.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

After teaching 19 years 5th grade language arts, I was told on the last day of school one year that I was moving to 6th grade. I was shocked and angry and cried. My principal was stoic and said she needed me there. Well, I ended up really liking it and got recharged because I really had become somewhat bored teaching the same grade for so long. I had always been kind of intimidated by 6th graders but found out they could be just as sweet and fun as 5th graders. Hopefully, your new grade assignment will turn out to be a blessing in disguise.
narnian is offline   Reply With Quote

teenytiny

Old 06-08-2014, 08:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've switched grade levels many times, so yes, I've been there. Most schools I've been at, it has been common practice because we don't have the same number of students for each grade level. So, every year at least somebody will be changing grade levels.

Your principal is right- I'm sure you will do great with this grade and you probably will like it. Be glad you found out now and will have a little time to go over the new standards and plan a little before school starts up again. It's going to be ok.

I once found out a few days before school started that I was changing grade levels!
teenytiny is offline   Reply With Quote

driventoteach

Old 06-08-2014, 08:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I cried, but not in front of admin. I never pictured myself in a particular grade level, but everything will be okay, and if not, God will intervene.
driventoteach is offline   Reply With Quote

rlyndecker

Me
Old 06-08-2014, 08:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I found out on Wed., last day of school was Thurs.
Everyone else who was being moved found out mid- March!
I'm going from 3rd to 5th and the worst part I had these students last year and most of them are SUPER LOW AND VERY 'CHALLENGING'. Even the 4th grade teacher complained ALL YEAR about them.
My p didn't even give me a reason, she confronted me in the teacher's lounge & said 'we can do it here or in private in my office' I said 'I'm waiting for my rep' she said 'it's not a meeting so you don't need one' 'fine, just tell me' 'I'm moving you to 5th next year' and I walked out. Hot Tears strolling down my face because I knew she had no reason except spite. I've pretty much only done primary, and there was no shift in my grade level or anything....

Do you have to move classrooms too? What grade are you currently and where are you going?

rlyndecker is offline   Reply With Quote

tester10

I've only heard of people being ordered
Old 06-08-2014, 09:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Moving is common, especially at the lower grades it seems.

I was a first year teacher at an inner city charter school and the only thing that got me through it was thinking "next year at least you'll have most stuff ready to go and won't have to start over". I was so wrong. The reason? The person who had to be moved into science "did better with older kids". I loved when they got rid of him mid year even with his choice of grade. Then I got to loop with students the following year and it all worked out for my students.

It sucks but down the road there may be a bright side.
tester10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sitamoia

Old 06-08-2014, 09:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have been moved around so many times it got hard to know if I was Arthur or Martha! But it has meant that I know where kids have come from at 5 and are going to at 12/13 when they leave our school. I know how to teach the beginning of reading and writing as well as the extension of both to stretch the imaginations of our almost high school kids. It has given me confidence that I really know what I am doing where ever I go. When I changed schools last year, I had just been moved from 2nd/3rd to 1st - not my favourite by any stretch of the imagination - and then went into a a 5th/6th class which was a complete change (I had never taught 6th before either!) but I found that I really enjoyed it. I then got moved to a 2nd/3rd class for this year and am again enjoying that.

You didn't say if you were going up or down but if you go up you will understand exactly which tools the children should have and how to provide them if they don't before leading them on. If you go down, you know exactly where they are heading on their learning journey and can help them reach their destination because you know the way so well. You will be in a brilliant position to take the skills you have and use them in different ways, - which you may find gives you renewed enthusiasm for your work.

It may not be what you want right now and I can't know whether you will love it but take your summer break to rejuvenate, to search out new ideas and who knows, perhaps your principal is right - you may enjoy it.

(Please forgive me if this hasn't made as much sense as it should - Topamax seems to be turning my brains into something resembling scrambled eggs!)
Sitamoia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tiamat

Oh yeah
Old 06-08-2014, 10:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I got moved this year from classroom teacher (whch I love) to library teacher, which I am thoroughly hating (and have done it before, and knew it is NOT for me). Basically, the principal can do whatever she wants with me and I have no comeback, short of leaving.

This year is not even half over, and it's already the longest of my career. I hope she sees the light next year but, honestly, I'm not hopeful.
Tiamat is online now   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 06-09-2014, 03:40 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I have. It was a question if I wanted to b/c prince was considering me or another teacher. I said I'd prefer not to, the other teacher wanted to, she had actually been hired originally to teach 2nd, and I was moved anyway.
I'd still prefer to work with the other kids but ya know? There are positives.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 06-09-2014, 03:54 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I've moved several times. It usually had to do with enrollment and getting bumped by someone with seniority. This year we lost a few teachers due to retirement/resigning so we are having a lot of moves and new hires. I didn't want to move from the position I held for the last 3 years where I worked with all the students in our school but I wasn't given a choice. The person taking my position has an endorsement in that area but had some issues in the grade she had been hired to teach. I like her and hope this will work out for her and our students. I can teach pretty much anything. I wrote down my top 3 choices and was granted my first choice though it took the P until dismissal time on the last day to tell me.

ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

rana712

Me too!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

This coming year will be my fifth move in 15 years. I have taught 1st grade science/Reading Recovery (position eliminated), Kindergarten (enrollment decrease), 1st grade (enrollment decrease), 4th grade and now will be moving to teach elementary Spanish/AIS. I am not thrilled to be moving. I love 4th grade (which was a surprise after many years in Primary) and I love my team. I know I will have fun, I know the kids are going to be engaged and will show tremendous growth and I know my school administrators are thrilled. I was asked to move, but I am the only one currently on staff that could do the job. If I refused, they would have to release the least senior staff member in order to hire a Spanish teacher. Was there really a choice????
rana712 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

switching
Old 06-09-2014, 08:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Yes, I was told (asked) when I was teaching 5th grade to move down to 3rd and loop with them for 2 years. I DID NOT want to do it, but I also knew the P could just make me do it if I refused. She was nice about it, and I agreed. I'm glad I did! I never would've known how much I enjoyed 3rd grade otherwise.

That being said, I didn't like teaching 4th grade, even with the same group of kids, so I asked the P if I could loop back down and stay with 3rd grade and she let me! I'm not sure if it was because I was so open to her idea that she was open to let me choose later or if she was just a great P. She retired - I miss her.
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

yellowflowers

Happened to me too
Old 06-09-2014, 11:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I was told one year in April I would be moving to 2nd grade from kinder the following year. No valid reason except to shake things up. I had been teaching kinder my whole career and our team had been very successful.

I was angry but packed up when school was out and moved some stuff to 2nd and took 58 boxes of kinder stuff home. Then re-adjusted my attitude and moved on. Met with 2nd grade teachers and did curriculum mapping for a week and spent the next few weeks taking classes and preparing for a new grade level. Also during this time my mother was put into an Alzheimer care facility and my father was hospitalized with a serious illness.

Fast-forward to end of June. Principal calls me and tells me she's putting me back in kinder. I was supposed to feel like she was doing me a favor. No choice but to move back. Alrighty then! Thanks for wasting a whole month of my summer and taking away important family time.
yellowflowers is offline   Reply With Quote

happymom70

Many Times
Old 06-09-2014, 12:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Yes, I have moved a number of times. At my current building our numbers fluctuate, so someone is always moving. It is exhausting! And as CC grade specifics become a bigger and bigger deal, it is more and more difficult to be the "expert" CC requires of us to be on a certain grade. Two years ago my P gave me the same direction in mid-May. It wasn't a suggestion or a "would you consider" it was a directive. It would be nice if they didn't frame it that way, but it isn't uncommon. I agree with others who say you are lucky to have the summer to regroup or to consider your other options. You can do it!
happymom70 is offline   Reply With Quote

swalters

me too
Old 06-09-2014, 02:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I am so sorry, the exact thing happened to me two years ago. I was so upset it ruined my whole summer. I was really a basket case, never wanted to teach fifth grade and I was an excellent third grade teacher. It was done so unprofessionally and I was extremely angry. I had a hard adjustment the first year and just finished my second year. Thankfully I am getting out this year but guess what I am choosing to stay in fifth grade. Seriously, I grew so much and proved I can almost do anything.

I still have anger issues toward the people who were responsible for having me moved. He gave 4 other teachers a choice but NOT ME! I had the union come in but they would do nothing. He claimed the same thing that i would be great (are you sure it isn't my principal). They are now pulling the same garbage with a good friend of mine. I still would like an answer as to why but realize I will never get it. My advice try to transfer of you are so opposed. I know my first year was difficult because I was still so angry. Once again I am so sorry!!!
swalters is offline   Reply With Quote

dunlee1

Devastated by Unreasonable Principal
Old 06-10-2014, 06:12 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

The situation you describe is definitely harassment and might be age discrimination if you are over 40. The same thing has been happening to me. I have been harassed by my principal who has been at my school for 7 years. (I have taught for over 30 years and have been at the same school for 25 years.) This is her first school and she is 16 years younger than I am. She has made things up about me and has written me up for it and has yelled at me in front of students and peers. She has been heard saying that she wants to get rid of the older employees at the school and does not want "must place" teachers with seniority transferred to our school by the district. The principal has also stated that "she is ready for the fight with me" and has also said that I am the "least effective teacher" in the school. I have the most seniority at the school and she did not put me in my preferred grade level for two years in a row. There is some little used clause in our contract that allows a principal to reasonably assign a teacher to another grade level if they feel "it's for the good of the instructional program." She placed the same teacher with the least seniority in the school who is about 30 years younger than I am in the third grade class I have taught for 17 years in a row. She placed me in K this school year (2013-2014), a grade level I have not taught. She harassed me again at the start of the school year and continues to do with certified mail and harassing phone calls. She assigned me a difficult class with a TA for 3 hours a week. After 28 days of teaching K, I took a medical leave of absence and filed for Workers' Compensation (WC). She even gave me an unsatisfactory evaluation for teaching "K" for "28" days. (I have always had satisfactory evaluations as a contracted teacher.) I am devastated and emotionally traumatized by what the principal has done to me. I have two sets of attorneys, one for WC and the other for labor law.
Update : A month ago, the principal assigned me to K again for 2014-2015. But two weeks later, the principal has now decided to put me in second grade instead of Kindergarten for 2014-2015 and has moved some other teachers around after being pressured by other teachers and the union representative at the school.
dunlee1 is offline   Reply With Quote

scrapits

Yep!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Especially if the principal hates you and wants you to leave. They are drastic moves like 5th to preK or 1st to 4th. You have to pack up your room and learn a whole new curriculum. I'm on my 2nd move in 4 years. 3 different grades in 4 years.
scrapits is offline   Reply With Quote

ATeacherGal

Old 06-10-2014, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

I'm so sorry that you are being forced to move. I know how it feels, too, after being moved several times. However, you may find out that you like the change. I've always loved every grade I've taught once I got my feet wet and learned the curriculum/standards. The teams I've worked with have been welcoming and amazing! That definitely makes a difference.
ATeacherGal is offline   Reply With Quote

mojo

Go with it
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

I asked for a change. 11 years in third grade. Loved them, but we all need challenges. I am moving to fifth. Am I nervous? Absolutely. But I want the challenge. Embrace it.
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote

basketball777

Old 06-11-2014, 10:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I have taught 3 grades: 2, 3, 4. I was moved to 4th one yr due to enrollment decreases. I was asked to move from 4th to 3rd 4 yrs before. I had a horrible yr I couldn't handle it. I basically moved w that grade from 3rd to 4th and looped w some of them. They were rough and immature in 3rd, by 4th they got super rebellious. The next yr she wanted to give me 4th again and I said I didn't want to, so she offered me a 2/3 combo class while I was going to be on maternity leave...I agreed. But guess what? It ended up just being 2nd... Then she wanted to give me 3rd again. That horrible ur in 4th really broke the camels back and I resigned and looked for a new job. I now teach 2nd my favorite grade in my new district.
basketball777 is offline   Reply With Quote