Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Strep / advice

>

twin2

Strep / advice
Old 06-10-2014, 06:42 PM

My 19 year old daughter has had a sore throat for a couple of days, but last night she started aching. Initially she thought it was probably allergies until the aching started. She went to the urgent care center and tested positive for strep. She tried to sleep, but it was too cold in her room due to the AC. We are having hot, humid weather pattern right now. She came out into the kitchen, which is not air conditioned and was still cold. She has a 102 degree temperature. My daughter is sobbing. Her throat hurts so bad that she can barely swallow. She said she hurts all over. The doctor gave her Amoxicillan and she has had one dose, and will have another dose in the morning.

I had strep as a kid, and I do remember feeling the worst I have felt in my life until I had the liver problem last year. Other than that, I do not know what to expect with strep.

Should I be concerned? It is not like her to cry when she is sick. She usually just deals with it. Of course, the worst she has ever had has been the flu, which I know can bad too (I've cried with the flu).
I told her to turn her AC off in her room and get some rest. Is that what you would do? I offered to take her to the ER if she feels she needs to go, but she just keeps saying she doesn't know.

twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

ecsmom

Old 06-10-2014, 06:51 PM

Strep is the worst. I hope she can get some rest. I usually get a Zpack and a shot when I have it and I feel so much better the next day. Do keep an eye on the fever and hopefully she will feel better in the morning.
ecsmom is offline   Reply With Quote

me41

Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 PM

You can try cough drops that have a numbing agent - don't recall the name of the drug but the pharmacist can help. They helped numb me up when I had strep.

Strep is horrible - all she is experiencing is strep. OTC pain meds can help. Time helps too. Those meds need to kick in.

A warm bath may help her relax. Her doctor could also prescribe stronger painkillers - codiene?
me41 is offline   Reply With Quote

multigrade

Old 06-10-2014, 06:53 PM

Some kind of sore throat spray would help. If she's not better in a couple days, she may need a different antibiotic. The one time I had strep, I finished the first antibiotic, then was really sick.
I wonder if drinking warm broth would help her throat? I think warm felt better than cold, if I remember...
multigrade is offline   Reply With Quote

kdeb

strep is awful!
Old 06-10-2014, 06:59 PM

I always ask for the shot with strep. It starts working so much faster. Get the kind of couch drops that helps with numbing the throat. Can she also take Tylenol? If she doesn't start feeling better after tomorrow, call back.

kdeb is offline   Reply With Quote

gardener5

sore throat
Old 06-10-2014, 07:11 PM

Try having her gargle with salt water. Use warmish water, add salt, stir it so it dissolves. This always helped me with sore throats.
gardener5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Miller

Old 06-10-2014, 07:21 PM

if it's strep, the antibiotics just have to do their thing. I'm surprised she didn't get a shot....works quicker.

Whenever I've had strep, the pain is horrible. I get fever and full body aches also.
Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

I've had strep so many times I don't even get a sore throat anymore.
Old 06-10-2014, 07:29 PM

The first time is the worst. I agree that she should gargle with warm salt water and use chloraseptic spray (OTC). I usually like to drink hot lemon juice as well. Other than that, she just needs to sleep and let the antibiotics do their job. If it's not better in a few days, she should check with her doctor. She may need a different antibiotic.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

momteachsis

Strep all the time
Old 06-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Unfortunately I'm All too familiar with strep.
First, take Motrin. If she can't get the pills down, get her children's Motrin and base the dose on her weight.
Next, get Her favorite soda and freeze it. Don't use diet soda. She can take small bites off a spoon. The cold will help. Also get her Campbell's chicken noodle soup. The warmth with the salt will help her throat. Make sure it's the original, not low sodium. The noodles will slide down easily. Lemon drops also taste good, but soothe the throat.
She'll need lots of blankets, and then when her fever breaks she is going to need to turn the Ac back on in her room and probably shower due to the "fever sweats" as my grandma would call it.
Don't give her anything with dairy because it will irritate her throat more.

Strep is awful and it is always worse than the flu for me. Hope the antibiotic works fast for her.
momteachsis is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Thank you
Old 06-10-2014, 08:07 PM

I appreciate the reassurance and advice.

missenglish

strep
Old 06-10-2014, 08:59 PM

Strep is pretty miserable. I've only had strep twice with the most recent time being while I was 5-6 months pregnant, which was no fun. I went to urgent care and they gave me penicillin that made me vomit. The second kind of antibiotics did the trick though.

Your daughter should start to feel better in a couple of days when the antibiotics begin to kick in. All she can do is rest and stay hydrated. When swallowing hurts, you don't even want liquids going down.
missenglish is offline   Reply With Quote

tcb365

Old 06-10-2014, 09:35 PM

Cepacol sore throat lozenges were a lifesaver for me the last time I had it. I don't get it very often, and I never cry when sick... Until I have Strep. It's just awful.
tcb365 is offline   Reply With Quote

AndSoItIs

It's going around!
Old 06-11-2014, 06:23 AM

I had it a few weeks ago! The sore throat pain is really bad but it should go away soon. I drank lots of hot tea and soup. I also sucked on cough drops.

It is very painful:/

I think she'll feel better once the medicine kicks in. Encourage her to get plenty of rest!
AndSoItIs is offline   Reply With Quote

Angie

Old 06-11-2014, 09:43 AM

Dd and I both just got over Strep and the flu. We had the same symptoms... With strep, you need antibiotics, or it can progress to something nasty. Hope she feels better soon.
Angie is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

update
Old 06-11-2014, 02:31 PM

I was able to get my daughter some lozenges and spray for her throat. She has been taking Motrin today as well. I took the advice and bought her some chicken and noodle soup. Too bad I couldn't have given her the real homemade stuff. She said everything going down feels like razor blades. Earlier her uvula was stuck to one of her tonsils. She said she feels like she will choke but there is space between her tonsil. I also got her some Listerine and if she can handle it she can gargle. She tried the salt water gargle, but said the taste made her gag. Gagging hurts. She can barely talk and at different times has had a fever today. Overall though, I'd say she is better than she was last night. She plans to work tomorrow, but she is so sick. The antibiotics have been in her for 24 hours and the doctor said she could go back after 24 hours.

Thanks for calming me down last night. I know she is sick. I know strep is bad, but I was so concerned I was ready to get her to the ER, despite the fact that she had been to the doctor only hours before.

JulieP

Old 06-11-2014, 03:04 PM

The pain can be horrible. Call urgent care and ask if they can call in a prescription for lidacain(SP?) for her to gargle with just until the pain subsides. Also, she needs to make sure she is taking something for the pain.

Now for home remedies. My mom would always give us warm jello to sip on. Heat 2 cups of water in the microwave, mix in the jello, and then pour in a mug and have her sip. It helps coat the throat. Just make sure it isn't too hot. Also have her gargle with warm salt water.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote