Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

What's an MRI like?

>

vateacher

What's an MRI like?
Old 11-16-2014, 10:15 AM

Hi everyone. I'll be having an MRI done of my foot and ankle soon and I'm wondering what to expect. All I was told is to expect it to take 2-3 hours and to not wear anything with metal... no jewelry or anything. Can anyone tell me what else I might need to know? I'm not scared or anything I just don't want any surprises. Thanks!

vateacher is offline   Reply With Quote

AmiSue

Old 11-16-2014, 10:24 AM

I have had a couple of MRIs on my knees and one for my gallbladder area. They have never taken 2-3 hours!! Usually, they are 30-40 minutes. I am terribly claustrophobic so I had to be sedated for the gallbladder MRI because almost my whole body went into the tube and I had a panic attack, but for the knees, I was fine since I was only in to mid-thigh.

It is very loud, but they give you headphones. It is cold!!! You are given a blanket. There is nothing that causes any pain. When they are taking the actual image, you have to hold your breath so you don't move, but it is for a short time.

Overall, it is a rather uneventful process. No worse than getting a regular x-ray.
AmiSue is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 11-16-2014, 10:29 AM

They told me that because there are two separate images taken and at two separate angles that they had to schedule me into two MRI appointment slots which meant 2-3 hours. When I think of all I could accomplish in that amount of time... grr! I'm not claustrophobic so that's good!

mom23kids

mri
Old 11-16-2014, 10:39 AM

I had several brain MRI's last Feb/March. They were done with and without contrast and it took maybe the most 20 minutes. It is very loud. I was claustrophobic a bit. I kept my eyes closed the entire time to avoid a panic attack and asked them to raise my head a bit so I wasnt' laying flat down
Good luck
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

MeMimi

Old 11-16-2014, 10:41 AM

Alright... in the past three years I've had my fair share of MRIs!! 7 of them to be exact! Four knee, hips, lumbar and thoracic.

None of mine have been over 40 minutes, so I wouldn't expect to be in the machine for 2-3 hours at all! I've had a foot MRI, years ago, and it lasted about 45 minutes. Good thing is that you are not fully in the machine. You'll be sticking out of the tube, so think probably up to your waist.

It is loud but they will provide you with headphones or ear plugs. It's also cold in there, so nice sweatpants are good. They will strap your foot down into position and put "blocks" around it to keep it in place for the images. Nothing uncomfortable. Most of the places that I've had them done at will talk to you to let you know that they are beginning a scan and how long that particular scan will take. So like my knee they say, we're going to do four scans today, each for around 2-5 minutes each. Then they count down the scans as we go a long. They will check in with you every once in a while, via speaker, to see how you are.

Also, they do offer blankets and sometimes they prop my arms up with pillows or put pillows under my knees (for hip MRI) to make it more comfy.

As someone who doesn't have an ounce of fear when it comes to MRI machines. After awhile it became relaxing just to shut my eyes and chill for a half hour.

I hope all goes well!!!

MeMimi is offline   Reply With Quote

trishg1

Old 11-16-2014, 10:46 AM

The worst part is having to be still for that long. I had two on my knee- they were 40 minutes each. It felt so good to be able to move in between them.
trishg1 is offline   Reply With Quote

mamacanteach

Old 11-16-2014, 11:47 AM

MRIs are loud. I had a brain MRI and that only took 20-30 minutes to get all of the images. I can't imagine that it is going to take much longer to look at a foot and ankle. Even if they did 2 positions I would count on it taking an hour. The rest is probably just wait time.
mamacanteach is offline   Reply With Quote

linda2671

Piece of cake
Old 11-16-2014, 12:18 PM

I've found MRIs to be very relaxing. They gave me headphones and asked me what kind of music I liked. I lay there and listened to the Beatles for the whole time. I had one on my knee, and one on my stomach. They weren't bad at all.
linda2671 is offline   Reply With Quote

vateacher

Old 11-16-2014, 12:32 PM

great! In that case I'll bring a book for the down time between imaging. Thanks!

Penguin82

Mri
Old 11-16-2014, 03:49 PM

I'm claustrophobic so before they put me in the machine they gave me headphones with music and I closed my eyes. I refused to open them until I was out of the machine. I knew it I opened them while in there I would freak out. You just stay very very still.

Penguin82 is offline   Reply With Quote

jatownsend

Stay Still
Old 11-16-2014, 05:37 PM

The only issue is that you can't move... at all. I tend to twitch if I'm just sitting around, but they'll let you know if you're moving too much
jatownsend is offline   Reply With Quote

reesespieces

MRIs
Old 11-16-2014, 05:58 PM

I get MRIs of my brain every few months-they are done with and w/out contrast and only take like 20 minutes. Maybe they told you that long amount of time to factor in wait time?

Like others have said, they are loud-but you can request earplugs. They have music on, but it's hard to hear.

They should ask if you are claustrophobic and can give you a mild sedative to help you relax (or you can have a drink beforehand haha).

When I'm in there and start to get nervous, I try to count in my mind, think of a song and daydream.

I also have a tradition of getting a comfort food when I finish.

Good luck!
reesespieces is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Enjoy your time
Old 11-16-2014, 09:13 PM

I think of it as forced time to daydream. No papers to grade, no stupid admin questions to answer. I just daydream or reflect on a recent vacation. It is loud, but it has interesting rhythms to it.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote