Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

iphone 6 data usage issue on wifi

>

twinmom95

iphone 6 data usage issue on wifi
Old 02-01-2015, 08:20 AM

So my 2 college age kids upgraded to iphone 6's at Christmas after their 2 year verizon contract ended. Still with Verizon. They are at different college but their phones are on wifi most of the time as long as they are on campus. However, DS' phone is using almost 5-7 times the amount of data at DD's phone and we can't figure out why. It is CONSTANTLY calling for tiny amounts all day long. He is not streaming stuff. He closes his apps. I just had him toggle off a bunch of apps and that helped a little. I also read that when you charge them, it can knock off the wifi and go to data (seriously?? What a dumb feature if that's so!). I've googled this and it seems to be a common issue, but can't figure out why his phone does it but not DD's. He says he is using this phone the same way he used his 4s. They share 2 gigs and it was usually enough with the 4s. With the 6 it used 50% of their shared data in one week and I had to up it for the rest of the cycle.
Anyone experiencing this and have something to fix it?? Why would a phone use data when you are on wifi???

twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mrs. Hos

iphone6
Old 02-01-2015, 08:24 AM

That's so weird! I would maybe have him take it to an Apple store or someplace and see if they can help. DH and I also upgraded to the 6 and haven't had any trouble with that. We have DS's 5, my 6, DHs 6+, and my mom's 5c on our plan and have only used 2.7 gigs of our 10GB plan in 24 days. We are always on wifi at home and haven't noticed it kicking me off at all.
Mrs. Hos is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 02-01-2015, 09:23 AM

Does he use FB? If so, make sure he has video streaming turned off. It defaults to streaming all videos and that can use a lot of data. I agree a trip to the Apple Store is a good idea. If he's on wifi most of the time, his phone should not be using that much data. Maybe in the meantime, turn off cellular data while in the dorm or anywhere on campus with wifi.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-01-2015, 09:35 AM

I would love to get to the Apple Store....but it is about an hour from his school by public transit. When he is home on spring break the closest one to me is also over an hour away. We will go then if this doesn't stop. Thanks for the tips. This is really annoying

Carolyn

Old 02-01-2015, 09:37 AM

None of our cell phones, including my iPhone 6 plus, use much data. This is definitely something you want to talk with Verizon about.

Carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

Never had an iPhone go off wifi when charging
Old 02-01-2015, 10:15 AM

As a parent I've done the data dance far too many times. They know what they're using data for. They have to. They are far too tech savvy not to. But just for giggles go into settings, hit cellular and scroll all the way to the bottom to click on system services. That will tell you how much data is being used and where.
Hifiman is online now   Reply With Quote

jcole25857

My daughter same problem
Old 02-01-2015, 11:16 AM

We had the same problem when she got her new iPhone 6 plus. I googled and found a list of possible problems. The thing that seemed to help the most was turning of all location tracking features in the apps. It seemed like all of her apps would ask to use her location and then send a report every two hours. Once I shut that down her phone went right in line with ours. Just go through the settings category one by one and check and shut things off. We also have diagnostics and usage automatically send off. You will be surprised all the things that are on, but not necessary. I think I found the information on the Apple site. Good luck.
jcole25857 is offline   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 02-01-2015, 12:17 PM

Thanks for all the tips,. I have passed them along to DS. Some of them he has done, and some were already done (like most didn't have location services on, or just "on when using"). The usage has slowed down a bit, but still about 4 times DD's phone. I can see on the Verizon acct just how much data is being used and when....there is a time stamp and then 0.00001G or 0.00345G and such. It was every few minutes 24/7, now it is not quite so frequent. So they are all quick little things, but they add up quickly. Again, this is while he is on wifi, so that is the part I don't get. WHY would his phone use data when on wifi???? We'll keep plugging away and go to the Apple Store over break if we don't figure it out.