Help

Kindergarten

Gifted vs. ADHD

>

learn

Gifted vs. ADHD
Old 03-14-2016, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have a mother whom is over bearing. She wants me to track and see when her child is off task and not doing the work. I have an accelerated kindergarten class and he is doing first grade work. At times, he is just spaced out and not doing his work. He's playing with his marker, eraser, a paper on the floor, looking at the computers.

She made a chart for me and basically demands me to do this for her. I told her that she can get a Vanderbilt scale from her doctor and I would fill it out for her also, if she wanted to rule out gifted she can do a parent request to see if he's gifted.

She basically refused only because she wants to make my life miserable and wants me to do this just because. She is a lawyer and takes "no" for any answer I give her. She has gone out of her way to enter my classroom after hours looking for an AR book because her child left his behind.

When I've sent home work that he does not complete it's not constant but the student has his days. I have yet to speak to the principal and the counselor to see if they can attend this meeting.

The counselor did tell me that for tracking he must be on a MTSS and up for an evaluation. I don't think I have to do this.

This mom likes to call the shots in my classroom at all times. She even monitors when her child is taking an AR test and tells me if he took a wrong test immediately. I feel like I have a camera in my classroom

Any suggestions meanwhile would help.

Last edited by learn; 03-14-2016 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: correction
learn is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 03-14-2016, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Quote:
The counselor did tell me that for tracking he must be on a MTSS and up for an evaluation. I don't think I have to do this.
Any suggestions meanwhile would help.
Verify with your principal that you don't have to do this and then direct the mom to him/her every time she brings it up. Simply refuse to engage.

How is mom allowed in your room after hours? Get backup on that too!
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 03-14-2016, 04:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

The kid could be both ADD and gifted, they aren't mutually exclusive. It sounds like the mom is a real PITA. If mom thinks the kid is ADD, then yes, direct her to pediatrician. I don't think you are under any obligation to complete parent-created off-task behavior charts, but I would go to Admin and get guidance from them.

I feel for ya.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

FlyingLizard

Old 03-15-2016, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Honestly, it sounds like the kid's biggest problem is his overbearing mother! Seriously, if she's this much of a PITA for you, imagine being 5 and living with her.

Is it possible for the guidance counselor (if your school has one) or someone else higher-up to talk with her and explain that, yes, he could be gifted and/or have ADHD and she can have him officially evaluated if she wants…but he could also be off task sometimes because he's FIVE? I wonder if she understands certain basic things about child development.
FlyingLizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Mammabear4

Call a meeting
Old 05-29-2016, 04:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

This is a parent request for observation for ADHD. I am surprised that you haven't informed your team yet? You shouldn't do the observation a person from the team should do an observation so they can compare the child with another boy in the class. Ideally at least 3 times to compare. A child who has ADHD would be off task in more than one setting.

I hear you about this parent being a pain in the @(*&. However, it is VERY difficult dealing with a child with ADHD and one who happens to be gifted. Home can be the most difficult place. I feel for this mom, although I don't play dirty tricks that are annoying like stopping by to pick up a book her son should have remembered! AGGH I do have a son who has ADHD and kindergarten was by far his most difficult year. He wasn't medicated or diagnosed by a professional yet and would come home every day with a red ticket. They didn't have accelerated classes for him. He is now in 6th grade and has an IEP for organization.

As for the Mom. If you call the meeting first and are up front with the principal you have the control. Like I said, you aren't the one to fill out the observation forms, although they are definitely a very good idea. Mom is most likely considering when and if to medicate her kid. Which is a very difficult decision. GOOD LUCK.

Mammabear4 is offline   Reply With Quote