Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Issues with 2nd Grader

>

Loveteach15

Issues with 2nd Grader
Old 08-12-2016, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Just wrapped up the fourth week of a new school year and I already have major concerns with a student in my classroom.

Student has some sort of behavior issue that he is taking medication for (parents were not particularly open about what is wrong with him at open house, rather just told me the previous teacher will fill me in. I didn't push for more information due to their manner that day).

Behavior has been very up and down. Some days, he is the quietest and hardest working kid in the class. Other days, I feel like I am dealing with a different child. On the bad days, he will completely shut down and will not talk to anyone to tell them what's wrong. He'll go somewhere and hide in a ball for hours. One day during one of these episodes I somehow got him to talk and he told me "my head is telling me to hit people and throw things and I'm trying to stay calm and ignore the voice." This is a second grader. Today the anger progressed to throwing pencils at other students at which point I evacuated the class and got help.

The front office has his phone number memorized and said this child has been sent up too many times to count since kindergarten.

I am very concerned because the frequency of these episodes has increased over the past two weeks and I am very worried violence will break out in my classroom. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to do before this situation gets out of hand? When the episodes do occur it throws the rest of the class off and I lost an entire afternoon of teaching due to dealing with this today.

Thank you!

Loveteach15 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Assuming...
Old 08-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am assuming by now you have spoken with last year's teacher to find out what the parents eluded to in their conversation at open house.

I hope last year's teacher also shared what makes the child stay mild and what makes the child explode, and what this teacher did when the situation became difficult.

Is there information in the child's cum folder that could help you?

Does your school nurse have health/medication info that could assist you? Perhaps you can look on-line to see if the med has side effects.

What can your principal/guidance counselor tell you about this situation, and how it has been handled in the past?
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

VivianCP

Old 08-12-2016, 04:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I definitely think a phone call to parents is in order to get more info, as well as checking cum folder & teachers who had previous contact with this boy. I understand why parents didn't want to get into details & why you didn't push at open house but the time has come.

Good luck!
VivianCP is offline   Reply With Quote

Mammabear4

Have you thought about posting this on SPED?
Old 08-13-2016, 06:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I had a student with similar behaviors. I would have to evacuate the room as well. The school eventually created an IEP, but the process was LONG and the players involved were at the school, district, and even an inpatient hospital setting. Go to principal now for the safety of you and the kids in your class. This child must be in LRE, but that is a team decision.

I could go on and we could swap stories, but mental illness is not something to wait on.

Good luck to you and call the parents right away to get them in for a conference with the problem solving team.
Mammabear4 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Document, document, document
Old 08-13-2016, 08:29 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I had a student this past year with very similar behaviors. He was on medication and it was night and day when his levels were "off". What helped me was documenting daily. I did it at the end of the day, but very important was to note times of day (is the morning better or worse than the afternoon?, after lunch worse), specific wording "I hear voices", etc, if he was able to deescalate (and if so what helped him).... Each day had a box for quick notes. Nothing lengthy just something that when I met with Admin and his parents (my notes eventually went with the parents to the Doctor to help adjust his meds)

Of course safety is key so when you talk to your P or Admin keep bringing it back to the safety of this child and the rest of your class. ** Be a squeaky wheel: you need a meeting to put procedures in place**

In my case, eventually we had an emergency 504 in place. My student was having his medication adjusted and it was very rocky at times. Sadly, he wasn't with us the last 2 weeks of school and I heard that he's most likely going to be attending another school with more supports.

WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

UniversalDes

My two cents.
Old 09-21-2016, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I agree with what has been said by others. I would also start documenting to go to your RTI team and discuss these with the team. Furthermore, I would go to your schools 504 coordinator and see if something could get in place. At our school RTI/MTSS for behaviors is 4 weeks and Academics is 4 weeks. Do not believe the myth that RTI is only for academics, it can be for behavior but have all documentation ready to go for when you do go.
UniversalDes is offline   Reply With Quote