Help

BusyBoard

Order to teach

>

thruachild'sI

Order to teach
Old 06-22-2017, 03:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

So I've spent a lot of time working on my writing plans, but I keep hitting a brick wall and not exactly sure how to organize it. What order do you teach everything? Do I start with the 6 Traits or do I start with the genres? Do I teach them the Writing process while teaching the 6 Traits or should I teach it first?

Plan A: What is writer's workshop (expectations, format, rubrics), 6 Traits - Ideas (getting ideas, seed ideas, narrowing it down), Organization (how to write a paragraph, writing process (draft, edit, revise, publish), hooks, conclusions), Conventions, Voice, Word Choice, Sentence Fluency,

Plan B: Genres of Writing (narrative, expository, persuasive), WW expectations, continue with plan A,

I have my lessons all written out, just not sure on the order to teach them. Thanks

thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Writing
Old 06-22-2017, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

You mix the traits into the genres.

We start with personal narrative, followed by nonfiction, then opinion/persuasive writing, followed by poetry and end the year with writing fairy tales.

With each genre, you embed the routines and procedures.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Youthcantknow

Teaching Writing
Old 06-22-2017, 06:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I was in your position last summer, planning a writing curriculum and feeling overwhelmed deciding where to start. What I ended up doing was this:
First quarter of the school year: punctuation review, writing complete sentences, simple/compound/complex sentences, writing a paragraph
Second quarter: writing a narrative essay, with focus on applying the skills from the first marking period plus prewriting with a graphic organizer, revising/editing, transition words, character traits, writing a strong beginning to hook the reader
Third quarter: writing an opinion essay, continuing to focus on all previous skills plus similes/metaphors and introduction/body/conclusion
Fourth quarter: writing an informative applying all previous skills plus research/note-taking, plagiarism/citing sources and the elements of an informative essay (subheadings/graphics/etc.)

Hope this helps.
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote

thruachild'sI

yes that helps a lot
Old 06-22-2017, 11:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you, that is exactly what I'm looking for.

thruachild'sI

thank you
Old 06-22-2017, 11:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

So when you teach the narrative you go through each trait, then again when you teach opinion? Can you please share how you do this? I'm envisioning teaching what is a narrative, then how to select ideas, ect... is this correct?

Youthcantknow

teaching writing
Old 06-23-2017, 05:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use the Daily 5 in my school, so I'm teaching in mini-lessons. For me, that would be teaching what a narrative/opinion/informative essay is, then choosing a topic (for grade 3, I assigned a very narrow range of topics but in upper grades I would allow more flexibility). For the narrative essay, it was essentially:
character traits (they had to incorporate three)
pre-writing with a graphic organizer
writing a strong first sentence and the introductory paragraph
building the body
writing the conclusion
creating the rough draft
revising/editing for themselves
revising/editing with a peer
final essay/crafting a title

When I taught opinion and informative writing, I reviewed many of the same lessons, but with a focus on how they would look in that new type of writing (for example, the first sentence in an informative essay is different from the first sentence in a narrative, but the writer still wants to get the reader's attention).
Youthcantknow is offline   Reply With Quote