Help

BusyBoard

Flexible seating ideas for older grades

>

thruachild'sI

Flexible seating ideas for older grades
Old 06-27-2017, 05:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm introducing more flexible seating to my classroom this year and very excited about it. Problem, which is always my problem, no $$$. So I'm trying to be very creative. I had parents donate 4 yoga balls last year, so I've got those covered and I have 2 camp like chairs.

1) bucket seats - I've asked local painters for buckets to make a few bucket seats - not sure how I'm going to get them clean enough, but we will scrub!

2) crate seats - I have a few crates that I'm not using, so i thought I would make them into seats as well, just not sure they will hold up some of my students. We had a student last year that weighed 165 pounds - imagine 11 years old and being that big, I was a scrawny child that always was mistaken for 2-3 grades lower

I would love to get some of the rocker seats/scoop seats, but I don't know if they are too small for older kids. I'd also like a few stools and have been searching garage sales, but no luck yet. The ones the other teacher bought from a store bend terrible and every night she has to "fix" them.

What else would you suggest?

thruachild'sI is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 06-27-2017, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Ikea has stools for a whopping $5 each. They're not flimsy, either. They come in black or white.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

teach1975

agree with PP
Old 06-27-2017, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have 6 of the white Ikea stools, just be sure to check the bolts at times to be sure they aren't loose! Can you do Donor's Choose? My daughter teaches 5th and has lots of flex seating. She has gotten several things (stools, cushions, etc.) from DC. Her students love the choices!
teach1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jenny

Old 06-27-2017, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We use floor cushions, or even those little square seat cushions for that age kids. Also those bean bag lap trays without a lip. Our older kids absolutely love the standing height table - they lean at it. I had to get rid of it in my class because there was only room for 6 kids and they argued over it! I also have giant outdoor beanbags - although if the sound of beans annoys you, don't go there.

Ask your kids where they would like to work - get them to look at options (and maybe even research cheaper options!). When I asked my kids they came up with surprising answers - for example they love just lying on the floor (no cushions)- but wanted hard boards to put their work on, so I got some 60cmx60cm ex floor board samples and they lie around writing on them.
Jenny is offline   Reply With Quote

needmyjob

thruachild's
Old 06-28-2017, 03:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Check on Pinterest for seats made from old tires, there are some adorable ideas and I guarantee you can convince someone to give you some

needmyjob is offline   Reply With Quote