Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

DD and Theater Critic Program

>

cruxian

DD and Theater Critic Program
Old 11-23-2019, 06:24 PM

I just have to say that my DD had such a positive experience with a new program. Back in August, her theater teacher asked if she'd be on the school theater critic program. There's a program in our area called the Cappies. Participating shows invite high school theater and journalism students to attend their high school theater and musical performances. The kids discuss stuff and then they write reviews, some of which are submitted to local newspapers for publication. At the end of the year the kids get together, vote on who they liked in a bazillion categories, and the top five in each category are invited to a huge formal gala at the Kennedy Center.
DD likes theater. She's not a huge writer so I thought this would be a good way for her to practice and also see some shows that she wouldn't normally see.
The shows are randomly assigned and her first one was last night. We both were not in a mood to do this...it had been a rough week (she had three straight days of auditions either auditioning herself or sitting on them to cast a show she's student-directing) and her cross-country banquet where she'd had to present an Imovie with photographs she'd taken during meets (tech difficulties galore). The last thing either of us had wanted to do was to schlep 45 minutes away for a 3 1/2 hour evening of Ovid's Metamorphoses.
AND IT WAS GREAT!! She came back all excited. Apparently they decorate a "Critic's Room," treat the kids to dinner and dessert themed based upon the show, and the kids get priority seating at the show, then they have a huge discussion about the play, the acting, the sets, costumes, etc. She ended up being really enthusiastic about the play, discussing the costumes and acting and music of the play. All in all it "wasn't as bad as I'd thought" which is really high praise.
I know they have it in other parts of the country so...if you have a kid who is interested in theater, I highly recommend it.
Sorry for babbling but...it was nice to hear her so excited.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 11-23-2019, 06:28 PM

What a wonderful opportunity and experience for her. Iím so glad she enjoyed it. And how cool that they decorated the room and gave them dinner.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

hand

Old 11-23-2019, 06:43 PM

This sounds fabulous! Iím glad she enjoyed it. My DD did theater in high school. She never acted but did lighting, building sets and directing. I wish that this had been an opportunity for her.
hand is offline   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 11-23-2019, 07:21 PM

I wish they had this when I was in High School! It sounds like a wonderful experience. So cool that she was chosen for it.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

klarabelle

Old 11-23-2019, 07:45 PM

What a great experience for her. I wish her well as she continues her journey in writing.

klarabelle is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 11-23-2019, 07:51 PM

I'm so glad she had the opportunity to do that and that she enjoyed it! It sounds like not only a great learning experience, but a lot of fun for them!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote