Help

Teachers' Lounge

Toddler having trouble sleeping-weighted blanket

>

cooper5

Toddler having trouble sleeping-weighted blanket
Old 12-03-2019, 10:23 AM

Hi all!

I'm a newish grandmother and my son and wife are having HUGE issues with their 16 month sleeping! She's still breastfeeding and they will use that to help their daughter get back to sleep. But she just doesn't sleep for very long without waking up during naps or nighttime. She has NEVER slept through the night...sometimes waking 2-3 times. They pick her up and rock her or give her milk.

My biggest concern though is that they just bought a weighted blanket which is really a weighted onesie. My son is concerned about using it (for bone development etc) but they live in Europe and doctors in their country are not the best.

Has anyone heard of these/used them on a child so young? Any suggestions for these very tired parents?? I told them to let her cry it out but they can't seem to do that!

Thanks in advance!!

cooper5 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 12-03-2019, 11:19 AM

I found this online re: the Blanket
https://www.verywellfamily.com/are-w...babies-4156424

I always suggest the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child. It really helped us with my two kids several years ago. I learned how to put them to bed before they were tired so they could learn to self soothe. It does advocate from a moderate amount of “cry it out” but not to the extreme that I was uncomfortable with. Saved my sanity!
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Sleep problems are no fun.
Old 12-03-2019, 12:38 PM

I made many mistakes with my first child's sleep habits and it was difficult to get him into a new and good routine.

A baby has to have the opportunity to learn to self soothe. So if parents come in and help the child every time they cry they don't learn.

At 16 months they should be sleeping 10 to 12 hours a night on the average. Then should take a nap later in the day as well.

Maybe the parents would feel better discussing these issues with the child's doctor and making a plan together to start a new and better sleep habit.

I am no help with the weighted blanket, sorry.
1956BD is offline   Reply With Quote

jvar87

Old 12-03-2019, 02:11 PM

My son is 2 and I still don't put a blanket on him. We use a product called a zipadee-zip and he sleeps very well! It keeps him cozy and contained but he can roll, stand, etc. Freely so there is no risk.

It sounds like the baby has picked up on the habit of nursing to sleep and thus needs that to fall back asleep. Maybe they can introduce a lovey or rock during the middle of night wakeups instead?
jvar87 is offline   Reply With Quote