Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Help me with my turkey! Please :)

>

NoElephants

Help me with my turkey! Please :)
Old 12-14-2019, 05:11 PM

I’m stuck hosting Christmas dinner this year. I have never made a whole turkey before.

I’m trying to decide between a turkey injected with Creole butter marinade or Ina Garten’s perfect roast turkey. What sounds the best?

(Also open to other suggestions if you have a delicious recipe.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...e4-1943576.amp

NoElephants is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Turkey recipe
Old 12-14-2019, 05:47 PM

I have not made many turkeys in my life. Nor had I ever brined a turkey before. But I followed this recipe and my Mom who is a great cook said this was the best turkey she’s had.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/...ecipe0-2126628

Brining bags were off amazon and I had no problem.

I only changed one thing- I did not put as much rosemary on the top of the turkey just before baking.

Good luck with whatever you do!!
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

kerrysgirl

Injector
Old 12-14-2019, 05:50 PM

We did this at Thanksgiving and it was the best turkey we’ve ever done.
kerrysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

ar719

Old 12-14-2019, 05:50 PM

Brining bag
Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE
ar719 is offline   Reply With Quote

MathWA

My ramblings..
Old 12-14-2019, 06:04 PM

Ok - take a deep breath and then understand that a whole roasted turkey is not hard to do at all. I would recommend that you use a simple and easy to follow recipe. Ina’s recipe sounds like a good place to start but understand that it is for a small 10-12lb. turkey so you will need to increase the cook time for a larger turkey. I usually allow 4 hoyrs for a 20-21lb bird.

If you use a frozen turkey then it needs to be completely thawed before you put it in the oven. Thawing time depends on how large your turkey is and thawing in refer is easiest. Its ok for a thawed turkey to sit in refer for a day or two. Here is a link.

https://www.delish.com/holiday-recip...frozen-turkey/

Now make sure that you have a meat thermometer to make sure its done. I use one even if the turkey has a pop up timer. Also be sure to insert it into the deepest part of the thigh and several other meaty parts of the turkey. It should read 165-170 degrees.

Ok...enough from me. Please let us know how it turns out. It will be delish!!

MathWA is offline   Reply With Quote
oic

oic

Old 12-14-2019, 06:20 PM

For a simple roasted turkey, we always use the “dry brining” method, which is simply salting it days ahead, enclosing it in a plastic bag, then leaving it uncovered in the refrigerator on the last day before roasting. Something about the early salting does magic. Succulent and flavorful, with a wonderful texture. And easy. Look up Russ Parsons’ dry brined turkey (aka The Judy Bird). Good luck!

anna

Old 12-14-2019, 06:39 PM

The best turkey I ever made was a brined turkey The most important step was buying a beautiful fresh turkey;one that was never frozen. Good luck!
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

cemsnowy4

Old 12-14-2019, 07:59 PM

I make my turkey in a roasting bag that you find in the grocery store where the Syrian wrap and stuff is. It only takes about 3 hours and comes out perfect every time. I always cook a 24 pound turkey. I season it and put vegetable oil all over the bird. I put celery and onions on the bottom of the bag. I do exactly what the directions say and it is perfect and super easy. Good luck with your turkey.
cemsnowy4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

dry brining your turkey
Old 12-14-2019, 10:28 PM

We've been brining turkeys for a few years and love how they turn out.

BUT make sure your turkey hasn't been injected with any liquid. If so the meat will be spongy and unappetizing. Buy a natural one. If you've already bought an injected turkey, just roast it the usual way.

Before roasting your bird, make sure you wash off the brine. That's the only time you rinse it.
Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 12-14-2019, 10:41 PM

I've tried brining, erc. This year I just went the easy way and bought a Butterball. I stuck some onion, garlic, celery, and part of an apple and part of a lemon in the cavity and baked it as directed. I brushed some butter with herbs in it on top to brown. It was delicious. I had never bought one before but we loved it.

MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 12-15-2019, 04:47 AM

We did a brined turkey for Thanksgiving. It was very good but what was awesome was spatchcocking the bird! I won’t make turkey any other way from now on. The 12 lb. bird cooked in less than 90 minutes and was a vision of beauty. I did the stuffing in the crockpot pot and it was wonderful too.
ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

Cassyree

Old 12-15-2019, 05:21 AM

Turkeys are easy but intimidating if you've never done them or even if you haven't done them often. That's especially true because they're the main dish at a holiday dinner. Do what Mkat suggested. Nothing fancy but still delicious.
Cassyree is online now   Reply With Quote

JulieP

Old 12-15-2019, 08:57 PM

I made this one for my first turkey. My mom was afraid no one would eat it so she went and bought ANOTHER one to fix her way. "When yours fails, we have to have a backup" Mine was all gone by the end, hers wasn't even touched.

You need-
Turkey
Roasting pan
Herbs de Provence
Half liter or bigger bottle of Wild Turkey

Baster
Olive Oil

Meat thermometer

Start by defrosting the turkey completely at least 2 days before. Then, remove everything from inside the turkey, and rinse it really well- inside, too. Place some of the cheesecloth inside the turkey and put the turkey in the roasting pan. Pour the Wild Turkey over the turkey, and some inside it as well. Place in refrigerator. It should marinate for at least 24 hours. "Baste" the turkey every 2 hours by sucking up the alcohol in the bottom and pouring it over the turkey with the baster. Remember to check the cheesecloth inside. If it's drying out, add some liquid.

The morning of, pull the turkey out, drain the alcohol and set aside. Make a slit in the skin of the turkey on top, and gently pull up to make a pocket between the skin and the turkey. Rub some olive oil into the pocket then insert the Herbs de Provence under the skin. Put as much as you can. Remove the cheesecloth from inside making sure to squeeze out the alcohol and leave it inside. Pour the set aside alcohol in the bird, too. Now slather that bad boy all over the top with olive oil and put it in the oven. Remember to baste every 45 minutes to an hour.
JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote