Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

California Schools

>

anna

California Schools
Old 03-17-2020, 04:11 PM

The Governor has said that we should not expect the schools to open until the fall I immediately thought about those children without internet ,computers or books in their homes. The most vulnerable children have no resources to keep up with their peers.

anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

CA governor
Old 03-17-2020, 04:31 PM

I think Governor Newsom is being realistic. This is likely to be a long term struggle against COVID19 and our own wishes and desires to have normalcy return ASAP. We really need to accept and adapt to this new reality.

People's lives are more important than anything else.
Ruby tunes is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-17-2020, 04:43 PM

I totally get that health and safety is most important. But this is going to further widen the gap between the haves and have nots- higher SES families are going to be able to properly do e-learning, assist with school work, and provide additional educational opportunities for their students during this time. Meanwhile, others will get absolutely no education for months. And no doubt teachers like me who work in those low SES areas will be blamed for how behind they are when school resumes.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 03-17-2020, 07:26 PM

I think it's strange that he never made a state wide decision to close schools (I believe there are still a few districts open), and yet now he's saying this.

I am in such agreement with the gap. I can't imagine some of my babies not having school for 5-6 months. I'm in kinder and it's going to put some of them back to where they were at the beginning of the year. They don't have the support at home to continue learning. It's going to be hard enough for their families to figure out how to put food on the table.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Kinderkr4zy

Old 03-17-2020, 08:35 PM

I am devastated with his pronouncement and all I can do is hope to God that he is wrong or being hyperbolic.

I will be beyond crushed if some of my sweet students who started the year behind and finally started making progress are subjected to this. They will lose any traction we have gain and instead fall further behind.

This is horribly depressing me. I was so tired and so so ready for spring break and I would give up my break right now if I could just go back to my classroom and give my students the education they deserve.

Kinderkr4zy is offline   Reply With Quote