Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

About TV costs?

>

amiga13

About TV costs?
Old 07-02-2020, 08:09 AM

I feel like Iím paying a small fortune for internet/cable, and I also have Netflix and Prime. Itís worth it to me because I love TV.

But....do all of you have a lot of other paid options, too? I wrote below, Iíd love to see Hamilton, but donít want to add another $7 a month for something Iíd rarely watch.

What do you do?

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 07-02-2020, 08:26 AM

We pay for Amazon prime (mostly for the shipping benefits, but we enjoy the movies, books, and music benefits too). We also have Netflix. No cable.

We also have Disney + for the kids. I think you could maybe just pay for one month, or even do a free trial if all you wanted was to watch Hamilton!
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-02-2020, 08:31 AM

We have Netflix, Amazon Prime, CBS All Access, and the Disney+/Hulu combo.

We only watch tv in the evenings after supper, so we donít watch much. I had cable for years, but we hadnít watched it in almost a year and cancelled it.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-02-2020, 08:50 AM

I have Netflix, Hulu no ads (not live), Amazon Prime, and Disney+.

I do not have cable. I use Firesticks to stream on my TVs as I don’t have smart TVs. I have Prime for the shipping aspect, not tv but do use it for shows as times.

I haven’t had cable in probably close to 8 years and don’t miss it at all. I also save a ton of money each month so it’s been worth it!

Hulu gets shows on their platform the day after they air. They don’t carry cbs shows as cbs now has their own paid streaming platform. However, I don’t watch anything on cbs so that hasn’t been an issue for me.

I pay $70 for WiFi and was already paying for Netflix when I had cable, with cable I was paying $150 a month. I now pay for Hulu which is $13 a month so I’m still saving a lot.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

TV costs
Old 07-02-2020, 09:27 AM

I feel we do, but every time I bring it up to DH he dismisses it. Heís a television addict.

We have Netflix and Hulu and amazon Prime. We ďborrowĒ DDs Disney channel. If you know someone who has some of these channels, and theyíre willing to share, you can piggyback on their service.

One of youngest DDs friends (our favorite friend) used our Netflix account the entire time she was in college and we never knew.

Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

cvt

Tv
Old 07-02-2020, 09:30 AM

We have Over-The-Air TV AKA antenna on the roof , because we do not watch much TV. No cable. In addition we have Netflix and Amazon Prime, although I have been disappointed with Netflix' offerings lately.
cvt is offline   Reply With Quote

h0kie

We are insane
Old 07-02-2020, 09:33 AM

We have Dish, Netflix, Hulu, Prime (mainly for shipping and Amazon Smile, but the shows are a nice perk), and Disney+. Iím a Disney addict so I prepaid for 3 years of Disney and got it for about $4/month. Canít beat that deal.

But when it comes to DS and his ďshows,Ē we donít mess around. Iím getting close to ditching Dish, I just want to make sure itís worth it first. There are a couple things DH and DS can only find there so we keep it.
h0kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-02-2020, 09:54 AM

I have Hulu and Netflix- the cheapest versions of both. I pay $15 total per month. I used to be really good about cancelling Netflix during some months of the year because I watch Hulu more, especially when new shows are out, but I figure a pandemic is not the time to cut my TV options . I haven't looked into Disney + so don't take my word for it but I bet you could do a free trial or just pay for one month if all you want to watch is Hamilton. Especially being stuck at home now, I watch a lot of TV and never feel like I need more options with Netflix/Hulu. I already have numerous shows in mind that I want to start next after the current ones I'm binging.

This year I have been spoiled with a special move in introductory rate for my internet- I pay $45 per month. That will skyrocket in September. At my old place I was paying $82 just for internet. I may actually do some research to see if I can add the very most basic cable plan and get a new "introductory" rate for another year, which would most likely be cheaper than whatever my internet only is going to go up to. I'll have to check that it's not one of those deals where it's super cheap the first year but then you're locked into a 2 year contract type of deal.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Live HULU - $55 a month.
Old 07-02-2020, 10:12 AM

Plus an Internet provider, $65 a month. And I can sign in to my son's Netflix account. Plenty of things to watch, including local channels.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-02-2020, 10:13 AM

I use sling. I am paying $35 per month for the same channel selection that spectrum was charging $165. I share netflix with my dd.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-02-2020, 10:41 AM

Disney+ is the only streaming service I know of that doesnít offer a free trial. I think theyíre trying to stop people from doing the trial and the canceling.

Hokie...
As far as your husbandís and sonís shows... can they be purchased on amazon prime? My friend does this for certain shows for her two year old to watch on his iPad
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

sportsmom88

Old 07-02-2020, 10:43 AM

We just ditched our cable Monday was the last day for it. We were paying $150 a month plus $88 for internet. We went with Hulu Plus with ads for $55 a month and will continue with the internet company we had. We also have Netflix and Prime. We only watch tv at night and with the Live option we can still watch the shows we watched before. DH watches National Geo, History Channel, and many others that we are still able to get. I watch the news but we can get one local channel with our inside antenna. I am looking forward to the savings.
sportsmom88 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-02-2020, 10:44 AM

We have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, HBO and Disney+ Got a 3 year pkg on Disney+ that saved money and did a Black Friday deal for Hulu that makes it super cheap for a year. Then I'll see if I still want it. I still consider Prime the perk I get for signing up for free shipping. HBO comes with our Direct TV cable package. I like having options, especially these days!
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 07-02-2020, 12:54 PM

We don't have satellite/cable, and only just began paying for Netflix. I bought a DVR, and there's enough on regular "air" channels that we record and watch, along with movies from the library.

We don't watch a lot of tv, so it works for us.
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Ridiculous
Old 07-02-2020, 02:17 PM

Our TV addiction is ridiculous. I didnít realize how ridiculous until I started this reply.

Directv: $250ish/month satellite and internet, including HBO. Sunday Ticket adds to this if football season happens

Hulu, Netflix, Prime, Disney+, and whatever free on-demand we get with networks because we have the satellite sub. The variety is nice, but I think Iíd ditch the satellite package if sports donít happen this year.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

High costs...
Old 07-02-2020, 02:24 PM

Our cable company is the only game in town for cable, so there is no competition. For years, we were hoping Verizon would put FIOS in through out condos as an option, but it never happened. So we have very little leverage as to reducing the prices.

My phone, internet, and cable cost $250 a month. I have two TVs and two DVR boxes, but that isn't where most of the cost breakdown lies. Their triple play is cheaper than buying one or two services from them. The first year, it is good deal, but then it goes up. We cannot have dishes on the unit I live in. I do not have a smart TV, and I like my sports. By the time I put together a bundle of services that I would want to cover the channels I do watch, it would add up. I do not need Netflix or Disney+, and I do not get channels like HBO.

I wish they would offer a senior citizen discount, but they don't do that, either.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

EllaKate

Old 07-02-2020, 02:28 PM

We have Cox cable and internet and pay $130 month. We have quite a few channels. We also have Amazon, Netflix and Disney +. I just added Netflix and Disney + the other day. This way when our DGD comes over we have Disney (plus I wanted to see some shows on there). I'm only paying about $14 a month for Netflix and Disney so that isn't too bad.

DH loves his tv. Me, I could just have Amazon, Netflix and Disney and be happy.
EllaKate is offline   Reply With Quote

MalloryJames

Old 07-02-2020, 02:40 PM

We are cost conscious and limit frivolous spending, so have never ever had cable Tv/dish/satellite. I don't know if any of those are the same thing, lol.

We have Hulu ($6/mo) and a Roku. When our kids were really little, we didn't even have a TV. They were pre-teens when we bought one.
MalloryJames is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-02-2020, 03:49 PM

I pay for Netflix, Hulu (with commercials), and Amazon Prime. Amazon is for the shipping and I would have it without tv anyway. I share my Netflix login with my parents and they share Disney+ with me. I do not have cable tv.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

CZMOM

Old 07-02-2020, 04:50 PM

I signed up for Disney+ a few days ago just so we could see Hamilton. We will probably watch some of the old movies and then cancel after a month. I saw Hamilton last Fall live on stage and loved it. I can't wait to see the original cast perform.
CZMOM is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-02-2020, 05:53 PM

We have Netflix, Prime, Hulu, and Disney Plus. We get other channels off air (antenna). We are never lacking for something to watch
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote