Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Checkbook piggyback

>

KeyKid

Checkbook piggyback
Old 07-05-2020, 06:09 PM

I'm assuming most are using the checking account with a debit card. Some of you say you don't carry your checkbook with you. I carry mine all the time and I write every transaction whether debit card or bill pay in the register.

• Do you write the transactions in the checkbook register?
  • Do you use an app instead to record transactions (and if so, what app)?
  • Do you not do anything and figure the bank is correct when you get your statement?

KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 07-05-2020, 06:11 PM

Do you write the transactions in the checkbook register?

I haven't used my checkbook register in decades.

Do you use an app instead to record transactions (and if so, what app)?

No.

Do you not do anything and figure the bank is correct when you get your statement?

I check in with my account every few days and note any transactions that seem incorrect then. I verify with a receipt if it seems off base.

Mostly, though, I use a credit card that I pay off each month. It provides a little more protection than a debit card, and I get cash back from the Costco card or points from the Southwest card. I check in with my CC account every few days to verify transactions as well.
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

FancyFish

Old 07-05-2020, 06:13 PM

I keep a spreadsheet. It has the amount per pay that I need to allot for various bills, etc. When I pay a bill or use my debit card, I deduct that amount from the appropriate column in the spreadsheet. It keeps a running total of how much I should have in my account. I log into online banking every few days and update as needed. I’ve never had an issue with any debit transactions being incorrect, wrong amount, etc. I remember having a little book that you fed into the ATM machine and it printed all the transactions on that account. That was before online banking of course.
FancyFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Starr

Old 07-05-2020, 06:18 PM

I have a little mini memo pad. I write the date, the check number, amount, who it is payable to, and then deduct the amount to show the new balance.
More or less what the register would have, but somehow this format works for me.
Starr is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-05-2020, 06:20 PM

DH and I each keep one in our cars. We never use the register but regularly call the 800 number where we can get a current balance and see what's cleared.

Nancy

BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 07-05-2020, 06:33 PM

My answers are really similar to Gromit.

I can't think of the last time I used a check register. In the '80s, maybe? I don't use any sort of app aside from the bank's website (I guess I do use the app version on my phone). I check frequently to see if there are any unauthorized charges. I don't get a statement, since I can look at the statement-in-progress at any time on the phone. Sometimes I do need to have a statement, then I can just download from my bank site.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

MACMama

Old 07-05-2020, 06:42 PM

I use the register. I like to physically write down how the $$ is spent and how much is left after bills. Old fashioned? Maybe, but it works for me.
MACMama is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 07-05-2020, 06:44 PM

I finally broke myself of using a checkbook register about two years ago. I have a post-it note stuck to the inside of my checkbook cover, and I write checks done. I mark them off when they show up online.

DH made one on Excel. It keeps track of our monthly expenses that way. Excel document with bills, so he always knows to the penny what we have in the joint account. Plus, what we have still to pay for the month. Heís a math and computer science guy. He made others for our personal accounts. Itís handy.

Do you not do anything and figure the bank is correct when you get your statement?
I donít double check it like I used to, but I check to make sure nothing looks amiss.
Ima Teacher is online now   Reply With Quote

c6g

Old 07-05-2020, 06:48 PM

I also write transactions in the checkbook register.
c6g is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 07-05-2020, 06:51 PM

I donít keep track of them to the penny, but have a general idea of what I spent where and check my bank statement/credit card statement at least once a week when I ďbalanceĒ the budget. I use Quicken and download all my transactions straight from the bank/credit card company. I pretty much trust that they are recorded correctly. I go thru and make sure each transaction is labeled correctly to deduct from whatever category of the budget it comes from. So about once a week I can see how much is left in each category of my budget.

KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

sonoma

Old 07-05-2020, 07:09 PM

I use mostly online payments and debit card. I use a spread sheet and balance it to my bank statement each month.
sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

nucleus

Old 07-05-2020, 07:16 PM

Do you write the transactions in the checkbook register? I don't. I carry only one check and otherwise use my credit card or cash. Then that credit card gets paid off at the end of the month.

Do you use an app instead to record transactions (and if so, what app)? Capital One notifies me when I spend anything and I can actively look at my statement as I spend.

Do you not do anything and figure the bank is correct when you get your statement? Everything is electronic now so I check it often.

Sidenote- My checks still say my address from 3 years ago. I write so few checks that I have a bunch left. I haven't felt the need to get new ones so the old address lives on.
nucleus is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 07-05-2020, 08:30 PM

I remember my mom teaching me to "balance my checkbook" and being really insistent that this was of the upmost importance . She still does it to this day and doesn't know how to/doesn't want to do any sort of online banking. I'm youngish so by the time I was an adult this was already an obsolete skill for most people.

I carry my debit card just in case of emergency, but I never use it. Credit cards offer much more protection and I receive cash back every time I use my cc. Since I pay the bill in full every month and have never one time paid interest, this is legitimately "free money" for me.

I log on to my credit card account every couple of days and make sure everything looks okay. I've never once seen an error as far as being charged the wrong amount.

In January of 2019, I set a new year's resolution to get back to saving more money and started a spending log. I set a weekly flat budget that covers absolutely everything that's not a regular bill (i.e. mortgage, internet, etc.) I bought a paper planner and I write down any money I spent that day/on what for each day in the planner. Since it sits on the end table in my living room, it's in my face every day and I remember to do it. Since I use the cc for everything I can check the online log for accuracy/I don't have to run and write everything down the second I spend it.

I've easily stuck with this system since then and it works for me. I keep a running tally in my planner of any unspent money from my weekly budget and if I want a bigger "fun" purchase, it comes out of that.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Old 07-05-2020, 09:37 PM

Eh, thatís the thing in the top sector my checkbook, right? Side note: I would swear we were taught to spell it cheque in school. Iíve no idea why, as Iíve always thought of that as a British thing.

I use my bankís app to make sure no one has skimmed my debit card. Again.

If I even look at my statement, I assume the bank is correct. My fiscal manager father would be appalled at my dereliction of duty in this arena.
Englishish is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

checkbook follow up
Old 07-06-2020, 02:17 AM

We just use our bank's app. I try to check it daily. It is so easy! No recording anything. The bank does it all. We also use the Budget section so I do get emails if we are going over budget in any area , such as groceries, which has been happening.
Linda/OH is online now   Reply With Quote

twinmom95

Old 07-06-2020, 02:43 AM

I don't carry my checkbook and I only write a few checks a year. I basically use my credit card for most things because it is more secure than a debit card. I pay it off every month.

I write anything that happens in our checking account ( not very much each month) in the same binder that I've had since 1984 ( only keep current year in it).

I get online statements and I reconcile my account every month. Takes about 5 minutes now compared to 20 years ago when I wrote checks for everything.
twinmom95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Old 07-06-2020, 02:53 AM

I do carry my checkbook with me but I rarely write checks and I don't carry a check register. I have carbon checks so I don't feel the need. I don't use my debit card very much, either. I run most things through my credit cards for the sake of the cash back rewards. I pay them off every month so I don't pay interest.

I do maintain a spreadsheet budget and check my bank accounts and credit cards frequently so I'm sure I would catch a mistake.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

anonymouse

Old 07-06-2020, 03:02 AM

I use the app. I check once a day or so then I move money from savings if needed.
anonymouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

I still keep a check register,
Old 07-06-2020, 04:48 AM

but also use online banking to compare. They are never the same. About six months ago, the online figures kept telling me I had an extraordinarily higher balance than my checkbook. I did not touch that account for six months and there was still I think a $2-3K difference. Have no idea what my mistake was, but I just changed the balance in my checkbook and no problems since.

As long as my figures come out within $200-$300 of the bank's figures, I do nothing. But I keep pretty high balances, so it would never result in an overdraft situation.
Clarity is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilbitkm

Old 07-06-2020, 05:20 AM

Quote:
We just use our bank's app. I try to check it daily. It is so easy! No recording anything. The bank does it all.
I do the same thing.
I check my bankís app daily and havenít ever had any issues.
I track my bills in my planner but donít write down daily expenses; just what I pay from each paycheck.

I have never had a credit card and use my debit card for everything.
I did have an unauthorized charge on my debit card last year and the bank was immediately on top of it.
Lilbitkm is offline   Reply With Quote

FLteachESE

Old 07-06-2020, 05:53 AM

I keep my check book with me most of the time, as I don't tend to have cash and only have my debit card.

I only write checks for school lunch, to a person who did work for me, ie like the cleaning lady, or for an emergency.

I use my banks app and I check it daily. I use a lot of direct payments that come at different times of the month and I can never remember which and when so the app is basically my spreadsheet. And since it is just me I trust what the bank has documented because I know what I bought.

I also have found that my bank's app has a budgeting program and tons of statistics that I find very helpful. Also, I make alerts that the bank can send me via text so I am made aware of anything that might be iffy- like a predetermined online payment of $100 limit. If something is bought that is more than that. I get alerted immediately. So convenient!
FLteachESE is offline   Reply With Quote

jov

Old 07-06-2020, 08:27 AM

No, I haven't done that for many years. I only write 1 or 2 checks a year, when it's absolutely necessary and I can check for them online. If someone gives me a check, I deposit it with the phone app. I have enough checks to last til I'm 100!

I use the app provided by the bank. I check my bank account online every few days to make sure all is well. All my regular bills are automatically deducted from my account. I use 2 credit cards for most other transactions, get cash back and points for purchases, and pay the bill automatically every month.

I don't get a paper statement. They send me an email telling me my new monthly statement is available for view online. I don't really need to check it because I check the account every few days and it's the exact same info. My bank statement is very short and sweet - monthly/quarterly bills, credit card payments, and the very occasional check.
jov is offline   Reply With Quote

Jackie

Old 07-06-2020, 09:23 AM

Yes, I carry my checkbook with me at all times. You never know when you might need it! However, I don't write down the debit purchases in the register. I do make note in the register of what checks I do write so I can check and make sure they were cashed. I check into my online banking daily though and make sure all the debit purchases are correct.
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote

anna

Old 07-06-2020, 09:31 AM

I purchase with one VISA card and can check the statement wherever and whenever I like. I do not have other credit cards. I only use a debit card to remove cash from my bank ,not at any other banks or places of purchase. I prefer the bank statement online over a handwritten register and check my online statement regularly.
anna is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Checkbook register
Old 07-06-2020, 10:25 AM

I do as MACMama does. And I call my bank's 800 number to check what's cleared every so often. I only use my debit card to get cash at the bank's ATM. These days I use my credit card at the supermarket because it's safer than using a debit card, and "touchless.".
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

KeyKid

Checkbook piggyback
Old 07-06-2020, 10:35 AM

This has been so interesting to read what you do. I do use my bank and credit union apps.

My mom taught me to reconcile my checkbook register. I taught home economics for years and always taught this within money management. I don't receive paper statements anymore but I do print them and reconcile each month.

I'm a little surprised no one mentioned the app, Mint. I downloaded it. I understand it can be used as a checkbook register for keeping track of transactions, in addition to budgeting and overall financial picture. I haven't used it though.

I do use major credit cards for more point of purchase shopping than I used to. I also pay in full each month so that it's a convenience to me.

Thanks for your replies!
KeyKid is offline   Reply With Quote