Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Why is everybody so mad?

>

Charlotte

Why is everybody so mad?
Old 07-10-2020, 03:19 PM

Mad about EVERYTHING. It makes me so sad. I can hardly stand to look at social media anymore. Nobody agrees about anything. What's it going to take to bring the people of America back together? Not everything is a conspiracy. I just want people to get along and be kind to one another.

*not looking for political debate*

Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

Opal

Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM

I'm going to guess it's because we are living with a virus that is very contagious and it's killing people and there's nomvaccine and so many people don't care ....just my guess
Opal is online now   Reply With Quote

Englishish

Because
Old 07-10-2020, 03:21 PM

The whole worldís gone mad. People are scared and they realize they donít have any control over what happens. It comes out as aggression spray, I think.
Englishish is online now   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 07-10-2020, 03:38 PM

I am almost 70 years old and have always been optimistic and positive, seeing the best in people and understanding even when I don't agree. And in almost 70 years I've seen tough times and situations, both personally and as a nation. I've lived through times of anger and division and always felt that we would come through it, learn from it and be better because of it.

This time feels different. Maybe it's the confluence of two situations (covid and blm) that would cause upheaval by themselves combined with the absolute lack of national leadership (or even understanding of the situations) that gives the current time a tension and feeling of hopelessness that leads to anger. (sorry, I know you don't want a political debate but the political divide is part of the problem )

I still try to understand people I don't agree with but it's getting harder and harder.
PoohBear is offline   Reply With Quote

MAsped

Old 07-10-2020, 03:39 PM

Right, people are scared of this virus, tired of being cooped up at home, don't want to wear masks, they're breaking down psychologically/emotionally, they're more hateful of other races, yet they still have to do ALL their usual activities (work, household chores, etc.) so they're a LOT more on edge (frustrated, impatient, etc.), so they're just mad all around.

MAsped is offline   Reply With Quote

Clarity

Like that movie, "Independence Day?"
Old 07-10-2020, 03:43 PM

Oh, no, wait, they had a common enemy and they joined together. Or did they? Now I don't remember.

I thought Tom Cruise was really awful in War of the Worlds.

What's your favorite sci-fi humans-versus-monster movie?
Clarity is online now   Reply With Quote

brooks56

Hate
Old 07-10-2020, 03:47 PM

I agree the whole world has gone crazy. I think it is evil surrounding our country from the hate in people's hearts. I'm older and I've also seen times of despair, but none like this. People are more close minded on important issues on both sides and there can be no way but their way. If you disagree in any way you are called names, villified, and in some cases jobs are lost.

My children are grown, but we have to focus on raising our children or grandchildren with love and compassion. There seems to be a lack of empathy and caring for others that is more noticeable now than ever. Morals are lacking and there seems to be a me first attitude. It's a scary and sad time in our country.
brooks56 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Everyone is grumpy due to the virus
Old 07-10-2020, 03:55 PM

The pandemic is stressful and that makes everyone grumpy. Our routines have been disrupted. Some people are struggling financially. We don't know what will happen next and the unknown is scary. Life used to be more predictable.

Our country always gets stirred up about issues in an election year. Politically we will never all agree.

Then there are the racial issues.

We have a great deal going on right now and it makes it more challenging to be civil for some people.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 07-10-2020, 03:57 PM

I feel like we have gone backwards since 2016. I know you don't want it to be political, but I think that's a huge part of it. Then the coronavirus and isolation, fears of economic collapse, worry about losing jobs, etc. on top of that has just brought out the worst in a lot of people. Sadly.
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 07-10-2020, 04:07 PM

I’m older, too, and I love what Pooh and Brooks wrote. I was actually nodding as I read their posts.

And to add on, I think we need a purpose. This long, long uncertainty is so hard on all of us. It’s no surprise people are angry.

I’m reading The Splendid and the Vile about Churchill’s first year as Prime Minister in 1940. Terrible terrible times. Doom and death at every turn. France and other European countries had fallen, the US wanted to stay out of the war, yet tiny Britain faced Hitler and his powerful forces. They fought together. Fishing boats joined an armada across the English Channel and kids donated their pennies to build fighter planes. They had a purpose. They were unified.

We are a mess.

My heart breaks for those of you who have to return to teaching soon. Where I live, we don’t even have a County plan. I heard the Superintendent of this very large district say the decisions would be up to the individual schools. My old district is planning a hybrid strategy so teachers would be in the classroom with 14 students 4 days a week (1 cohort 2 days, then the other cohort 2 days) and meeting with other teachers the 5th. So unsafe!

No! We need unity, not more division.

I want a leader. I want a common purpose.

amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Brooks
Old 07-10-2020, 04:11 PM

You hit the nail on the head.

Charlotte

Old 07-10-2020, 04:24 PM

Sad to say, we haven't been united since 9/11 happened and we had a common enemy. I think people are selfish right now. I totally agree that we don't have the leadership necessary to come together as a nation.

I added the political debate comment because I didn't want my post moved.
Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote

CatLove

Old 07-10-2020, 04:26 PM

I’ve read a couple times that it’s the “whole world“, I don’t think that’s the case . We are doing more than OK here in Canada.
CatLove is online now   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 07-10-2020, 04:37 PM

And the media is peddling fear and division every time I look.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Everyone is mad
Old 07-10-2020, 04:46 PM

There is a line eloquently uttered by Madeline Stowe in Last of the Mohicans: “The whole world is on fire.” This sums up my feeling right now.

The divide between those who believe COVID is a terrible disease and can be controlled and those who believe any precaution stomps on their civil rights infuriates me.

The BLM movement inspires me and I wish it could have come at a time when the country isn’t so polarized.

Mostly, I get so angry at articles and videos that show up on FB from friends and family that are, quite frankly, blatantly stupid and idiotic. I actually called out a really, really good friend who I love deeply on a video he sent me today.

I have two cousins who I used to like....I can’t say that about one of them right now.

I’m done with trying to keep the peace. I’m arguing back now.
Keltikmom is online now   Reply With Quote

bison06

I read this today...
Old 07-10-2020, 04:51 PM

and the whole post summarized a lot of how Iím feeling. Iím only sharing the first two paragraphs here. This is from Ally Henny, an African-American and Christian writer, who mostly writes about race & racial reconciliation.

Quote:
People keep talking about how polarized and political our times are, and I am inclined to agree. However, I feel like when people say this, they are attempting to navigate some kind of moderate "middle way" between so-called extremes.

I am one who appreciates moderation and balance. I appreciate learning about different perspectives. I think that there are a lot of things that we can think about and arrive at different conclusions. However, and perhaps its because I'm one of these "polarized" individuals, I feel like some of the things that we are "talking about" in society right now are issues that there isn't a "middle way on."
She goes on to talk about the coronavirus and racism.
bison06 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 07-10-2020, 04:52 PM

Anger is always a response to some type of fear and I agree that a lot of this is likely related to dealing with Covid!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
GHVFAN
Old 07-10-2020, 05:01 PM
This message has been deleted by GHVFAN.
msd2

msd2

Old 07-10-2020, 05:21 PM

Most information for the public was news. This is who, what, when, where, and how.
Journalism was about finding facts and presenting them without bias.

Media became saturated with opinion rather than news, and worse than that they all have bias whether it be right or left. "Journalists" now believe it is their job to sway opinion rather than report the facts and allow people to judge for themselves.

We are surrounded 24 x 7 by media that makes money by clicks. The more shocking the information the more clicks they get. The scarier the information the more you want to "tune in" to make sure you know what is going on - every single second of the day.

Tori58

Old 07-11-2020, 05:37 AM

Well, in fairness, there's quite a lot to be angry about. Maybe all that's happened is that some people's lives have been slowed down enough for them to pay attention to things they were able to ignore when they were busier.

Quote:
The BLM movement inspires me and I wish it could have come at a time when the country isnít so polarized.
But, the BLM movement has been around for quite some time (seven years, I think) and most people didn't pay any attention. I think the deep divisions in this country are part of what precipitated the widespread violence that accompanied the BLM protests and, sadly, that seems to be what it took for people to wake up and pay attention.

If this country can't agree on something as simple as "Let's all wear masks to protect each other and reduce the spread of SARS-CoV-2" - something that isn't a political issue at all in other countries - I don't see any hope for unification.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote

knit1purl2

Life has slowed down
Old 07-11-2020, 06:40 AM

I agree with previous posters. There has been a lot to be mad/upset about, but most were too busy to deal with emotions. So many people were focusing on the camera moments and not dealing with the rest of their life. So many were were focused on the projecting a Ďperfectí appearance in person or online, they did not shore up their foundation. What really matters is an internal decision.

Media is using shock and awe to get us to tune in. Media is and has been focused on the bad and not on the good. I used to read the newspaper every morning. I now limit my reading, televison and social media. I am focused on analyzing my daily habits and re-evaluating them. I will not give in to the fear. I am part of the change that is occurring in the country. The results of my actions will be seen by others eventually.
knit1purl2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Risa

Depression Makes People Angry
Old 07-11-2020, 07:11 AM

Just came across this article:

Why Depression Makes People Angry, According to Science
https://www.powerofpositivity.com/wh...-people-angry/
Risa is online now   Reply With Quote
Gromit
Old 07-11-2020, 08:29 AM
This message has been deleted by Gromit. Reason: Never mind

Tori58

Old 07-11-2020, 12:08 PM

Good article, Risa. and I think it's probably quite true that depression and anxiety is part of what's going on.

Years ago (like, 25 years ago, I guess) I started seeing a stress counselor because I was just so irritable all the time. It was hard to be a good teacher. It was hard to be a good parent. It was hard to be a good friend. I didn't like anything about how my life was going, and I couldn't see a good reason for why I felt that way.

What she told me is that some people manifest depression and anxiety as irritability. This happens especially for people who are very busy and/or for people whose fight/flight response veers towards fight. For me, in that situation, there were some unresolved childhood traumas that were rearing their ugly heads because my daughter was nearing the age that I was when these things happened to me.

In today's situation, though, I think it's a fairly understandable thing for some people to be dealing with a near-constant state of fight/flight.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote